im not happy at all right now...

Options
2»

Replies

• NaRmI10
    NaRmI10 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    So the other day you were considering quitting because you had a cup of noodles, now you are upset over pancakes. I think you really need to start looking at your diet as a whole not as one meal. Pre log your food, don't be overly restrictive, and remember this isn't about 1 meal it's about overall well balanced diet.

Also how many pancakes did you eat that are almost a whole days worth of calories? Either you went to all you can eat pancakes and used lots of syrup/butter or your daily calories might be set too low.

Good luck to you
    +1
    +2

Here's a link to a bunch of helpful links.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1455850-new-here-have-questions-this-may-help

+2 Like some have said... pre-logging your food gives you an idea. It works for me.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Three hundred calories over is not a big deal. I burned 306 calories doing a walk on the treadmill this morning. It sounds like a lot of calories to burn off, but it really isn't if you can find 40-60 minutes to do some moderate exercise. Pre-log your food or maybe buy some light yogurt to take your medications with. Light yogurt runs about 90 calories. If possible, perhaps start taking your medications at a different time (please check with your doctor first) so you don't have to worry about setting aside calories to avoid taking your pills on an empty stomach.
  • ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    It really helps to preplan your day. Then there's no surprises. 300 calories is not that much. MFP makes too big a deal about being under. I try to stay within 100 calories either way of my goal. Add me if you'd like.
  • jameshealthlog
    Options
    My breakfast and lunch are pretty much the same every day which means there's not a lot of room for error.

My dinner is a piece of meat 80gms (uncooked) of rice or pasta, or 250(ish)gms of potato and veg or salad.

That formula pretty much always brings me in on or around my goal, if i deviate or make things complicated then theres a chance things can go wrong.

My advice, plan ahead and simplify what a "perfect" day looks like and try to more or less stick to it.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    That's interesting. I had a pancake dinner the other night for 440 cals. I weighed out a single serving of pancakes, had 4 egg whites, cooked with 1 tbsp of lite margarine (50 cals) and used lute syrup (1/4 cup) either you need to control your portion sizes, or budget your cals better.
  • soosun
    soosun Posts: 128
    Options
    It takes practice to love yourself and not beat yourself up for eating over your goal. It happens, but you will still be lovable by others; now start loving yourself and tell yourself you get to decide.
    Personally I try to eat the same breakfast and lunch each day and there is place where you can post that you want an evening snack, make it part of your daily calories, eat 100 calories less at each meal during the day, and voila!, you can look forward to those 300 calories a day and take your meds too. Every problem has a solution, and your goal is to always solve it in your favor. Good luck! It ain't easy but it is worth it.
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Based on weight lost and MFP member date, you're new to this and there's a learning curve in weight loss. It takes time and practice to learn how many calories are in each item of food and how that fits into your day. Prelogging/looking up the foods before you eat them is key for me. Often times seeing how many calories are in something is enough to deter me from eating it and makes me select a better option.

Going over by 300 calories on one day is not going to derail your entire weight loss. It's sometimes hard to remember that or believe it, but it's true. I try to remind myself of what I was doing this time last year, or even last month, to put things in perspective. Would you have put this much thought into what you're eating last year? Were you even thinking about calories? Probably not. So that in and of itself is some progress. An extra 300 calories for me is about 1740, which is still a deficit and is far less than what I'd eat on a normal day last year and the same is most likely true for you (not the specific calories, but the basic idea that I'm trying to get across). This putting things in perspective thing doesn't mean that it's a free pass to keep eating over your limits, but it's merely a suggestion to help keep those "oh, what did I just do" moments in check.

Based on other posters' comments, I would suggest making a calendar where you could color in each day as green (within calorie range) and red (not in calorie range). It's sometimes hard to notice our patterns in MFP when we only see one day at a time. Having something simple and visual might also help you to make the better decisions you want to make. Stick it on your fridge. If you have more red days than green days, then you know something has to change and you have to work a little harder. If you have more green days then red days, then maybe those red days won't seem as bad...just a suggestion. I started doing something similar with my working out and it has helped me be more consistent with it.
  • melissa968
    melissa968 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I always add my food before I eat so I know where I'm at. In your case, I would have seen where the pancakes put me and I would have made a different decision. Or, I've made pancakes before and just eaten them plain, with no syrup. Pancakes themselves, don't really have that many calories, it's the syrup that's the big calorie killer.

I know people that add all their food at the end of the day and are surprised when they are over. I just want to bash my head against a wall. It's not that difficult to log the food you are thinking about eating and see where it puts you calorie-wise. Or, during the week, I pre-log a lot since I already know what I'm going to eat for the day. It makes it easier, mentally, to stick to it.

Always, always, always pre-log!
  • jporter1183
    jporter1183 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    So the other day you were considering quitting because you had a cup of noodles, now you are upset over pancakes. I think you really need to start looking at your diet as a whole not as one meal. Pre log your food, don't be overly restrictive, and remember this isn't about 1 meal it's about overall well balanced diet.

Also how many pancakes did you eat that are almost a whole days worth of calories? Either you went to all you can eat pancakes and used lots of syrup/butter or your daily calories might be set too low.

Good luck to you

I completely agree, and stated the same to you a few days ago on your cup of noodles post. Pre-logging is a lifesaver. It prevents your pancake issue because you would have gone to pre-log it before you ate and would have seen that it would throw you way over your goal, and you would have chosen a lower calorie option to take your meds with. You definitely need to rethink your meals. This is a learning process, often through trial and error like this situation. Don't beat yourself up over it, just learn from it, plan your day's worth of meals ahead of time, and move on.
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    i went almost 3000 calories over this weekend. that rarely happens and that is the key word...rarely.

plus, i burn enough calories durning the week where i dont feel too bad if i have a bad day once in awhile.

like others have said here, plan your food and log in advance, but also exercise enough during the day/week to allow yourself some room for indulgences.

good luck!