Lifting with a weakened lower back

Options
Hi all,

I've been suffering on and off with a bulging/herniated L5-S1 disc for the past few years, that can flare up randomly.

I'm currently squatting 75kg for 5-6 reps and deadlifting 100kg for 5-6 reps (1rm 145kg)

How should I adjust my squatting and deadlifting in terms of working around a weakened lumbar region? It's frustrating having to hold back in terms of not wanting to aggravate the injury.

Replies

• h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

IMO, you should certainly not try to 'work around' much of anything with those 2 exercises. Both look so simple, but they can be so dangerous for people with back issues. Form is vital on both. If you have to frequently compromise form in those for any reason, including but not limited to injury, find alternate exercises. Look to use machines, that work your legs, but won't bring the actual load down your spine. Exercises with free weights, done on flat, incline, or decline bench also won't bring the full load of the weights down your spine, but you can still get a great upper body workout, replacing the upper body part of the deadlift.
    If you absolutely have to deadlift something, try rack pulls. Still heavy, but only a partial deadlift, so to speak. It takes at least some of the risk out of the workout.
    Consult an experienced doctor or physical therapist for specific exercises to strengthen your back, and perform those exercises religiously. Been there, done it myself, and found it the only way to improve my back, and my lifts.

Good luck, lift safe!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I've no idea but I'm keen to see your answers.

I've got my mum lifting and she has problems with two of her discs - not sure which L 4 and 5, I think. She's had rubbish answers from her doctors ranging from, lift light weights, no heavy lifting, train with the barbell as long as you're doing it properly :grumble:

For something so beneficial NHS docs are far from clued in on this subject.
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

IMO, you should certainly not try to 'work around' much of anything with those 2 exercises. Both look so simple, but they can be so dangerous for people with back issues. Form is vital on both. If you have to frequently compromise form in those for any reason, including but not limited to injury, find alternate exercises. Look to use machines, that work your legs, but won't bring the actual load down your spine. Exercises with free weights, done on flat, incline, or decline bench also won't bring the full load of the weights down your spine, but you can still get a great upper body workout, replacing the upper body part of the deadlift.
    If you absolutely have to deadlift something, try rack pulls. Still heavy, but only a partial deadlift, so to speak. It takes at least some of the risk out of the workout.
    Consult an experienced doctor or physical therapist for specific exercises to strengthen your back, and perform those exercises religiously. Been there, done it myself, and found it the only way to improve my back, and my lifts.

Good luck, lift safe!

Rack pulls! Of course! Thank you.