I'm new and hoping for good results

Options
Hi, everyone! I am a 33 year old mother of 2 boys, 12 and 5 and am about 75 lbs. overweight. Hoping I can lose the 75 lbs. in about 1 year's time. Anyone have any good suggestions on how to stay motivated and how to deny those foods I really love?

Replies

• jboysdontcryp
    Options
    Welcome! Remember slow and steady wins the race! Take easy small changes that you can keep to yourself :) You'll do great!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You CAN do it, you just have to stick with it. Regarding those "bad" foods you really love - I DON'T recommend cutting them out completely - you'll end up feeling deprived and will be more likely to fall off the wagon. Rather, try to eat healthy MOST of the time (lots of veggies, lean protein, healthy fats (nuts, avocados, olive oil, etc.), dairy, fruit, non-processed (or lightly processed) carbs, but then include treats now and then. You can buy them in snack size, or just make sure you weight/measure/portion out your treats so you really know how much you're eating. You can also try making healthier versions of your favorite foods - ex. home-made pizza using a cauliflower crust (sounds odd, but it's fantastic), black bean brownies, chilis/soups with low-sodium, spaghetti squash in place of spaghetti, etc.

I try to go by the 80/20 rule - as long as I'm eating healthy 80% of the time, then that other 20% (as long as it's controlled/portioned) won't make a big difference.
  • mariasheehan
    Options
    hi there and welcome.

Yes, take it easy; one day at a time. I never deny the foods I love, that's why I'm still going strong. I lose very slowly, maybe a pound every two weeks because I still have all the things I like in moderation. Take lots of pictures and measurements before you start so you have a comparison, that really keeps me motivated to look at old pictures. Make lots of friends here and ask for help whenever you need it. Log everything you eat every day, I know it seems like a chore, but it becomes a habit I promise. I know what it's like to be a mom and be busy, but make time to log, this is for you and your boys will benefit in the long run. I have way more energy now to keep up with the kids. Drink plenty of water and try and get a little exercise, even if it's just so you get more calories to eat! :0) Let it become a way of life rather than a 'diet'. Be nice to yourself x
  • mariasheehan
    Options
    take on board everything Trenton (accountant_boi) just said, he gives the best advice, it's good stuff :happy:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    take on board everything Trenton (accountant_boi) just said, he gives the best advice, it's good stuff :happy:

:blushing: Thanks!

A few more thoughts:
    Drink plenty of water - it's essential for good health! (Many people confuse thirst for hunger!)
    Try to plan your meals/snacks & log them ahead of time - this can ward off unplanned excessive eating
    Log EVERYTHING you eat/drink that has calories! Those bites here or there, handfuls of nuts, glass of sweet tea, etc. can really add up.
  • nevergoingback2011
    Options
    I try to drink lots of water in with all of my meals so I eat less. And I try to let myself have the foods I love in small quantities.