Unable to put weight on foot -- exercise ideas?

Options
I injured myself pretty badly at the beginning of summer, and the healing process is slow. It could be another year before I can do any weight-bearing exercise. At this point, I can stand for about 30 minutes or walk for about 15 before I end up with severe pain that lasts at least a day or two. I'm in physical therapy, and that was helping until I had a major setback two days ago that put my pain back to where it was in June when I couldn't stand or walk at all without pain.

At first I gained about ten pounds simply because I ate the same amount but wasn't exercising. I've since fixed my diet to match my nonexistant activity level, so the weight thing is under control. My concern is my muscles and my cardiovascular system. Neither are getting much use right now, and that's no good. About the only exercise I can think of to do is Pilates mat since that puts no weight on the feet, but I'm getting kind of sick of it. I would like to start working on upper body strength, and I think machines might be okay (I definitely can't lift free weights right now!), so I'll run that by my doctor. Water aerobics is an option, too, I would think, but the only classes nearby happen while I'm at work. I don't know how to swim, but I think if I can get my hands on a water belt (not sure if that's what they're called), I could jog in the water up and down the lanes at my gym.

That's all I can think of, though. Do any of you have any ideas for exercises that don't put weight on the feet? I'm hoping to go to my next doctor appointment with a long list of options that my doctor can either okay or warn me off. I miss walking (my very favorite exercise) and the options of jogging or dancing or hiking or the elliptical (who would have ever thought I would miss the elliptical?); right now, I need to build new options. If I can do *different* things, then I think I'll be able to stay motivated to exercise.

Thanks for any suggestions you're able to share. :)

Replies

• Slinky_BraveHeartBunsOfSteel
    Options
    There's loads of ideas on Youtube, for example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AuLqYh4irI

Or...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xC9khisFPA

:smile:
  • LookingBusy
    LookingBusy Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics is an option, too, I would think, but the only classes nearby happen while I'm at work. I don't know how to swim, but I think if I can get my hands on a water belt (not sure if that's what they're called), I could jog in the water up and down the lanes at my gym.

If you can't swim please don't do this! As a professional in this industry trust me, those belts are not a balanced support system. You need to have appropriate control in the water to be wearing one of these safely. If you can't swim then please don't swim without a qualified instructor.

Perhaps you can look in to private lessons during your off time?
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Last week there was a lady at the gym who had a foot injury. She was wearing a brace that went up to her knee, and it acted as a prosthetic foot. Her leg was kneeling into it. Looked odd, but she got around fine on it. Maybe ask you pt about one of those devices for when you hit the gym so you don't have to bring the crutches. Though I see people at my gym with crutches from time to time.
  • Squatch3099
    Squatch3099 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you could use an exercise bicycle? You don't need to put too much pressure on your feet. Maybe some light free weights. You will eventually heal and get back to doing much more.

Don't lose your determination! You sound good.:flowerforyou:
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Check out Sparkpeople.com for seated exercise. Also, as mentioned above, youtube has a ton of seated exercise videos. As for swimming, the aquajogger in shallow water may be an option if you can't swim. My Y has two pools with the one being a therapy pool that isn't too deep...even treading water in a few feet of water would be an idea. You wouldn't need to use the aquajogger- just throw on a life jacket and stay where you could put your feet down. This year I have spent time doing this stuff first because of an abdominal incisional hernia repair, and then because of a tibial stress fracture- I just have been allowed to start weaning out of my boot. I feel your pain :-(
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I didn't read the entire original post (it was a little lengthy). I will tell you though that I had a bunion-ectomy, and was able to use a recumbant bike the next week.
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    How about rowing? Its a great full body cardio workout. And you do it sitting.
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I would like to start working on upper body strength, and I think machines might be okay (I definitely can't lift free weights right now!), so I'll run that by my doctor. :)

a lot of exercises are done sitting or lying on a bench.
    machines are great during the healing process.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Thanks. :)

There are a few suggestions that I know I'm not allowed to do yet, but hopefully I'll be up to several or all of them soon. I'm looking forward to going into my appointment armed with ideas.

I've been injured before, but nothing as persistant as this. I'm going a bit stir crazy.