Calories in Boneless Skinless Grilled Chicken Breast?

Can someone clear up once and for all how many calories are in 1 oz. boneless, skinless grilled chicken breast? Plain: no seasoning, not grilled with oil, etc., no trimmings at all, just straight up chicken. Because I have heard that it is anywhere from 25 calories per ounce to 60 calories per ounce, so I have no idea what to believe. Thanks!

Replies

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Are you weighing it raw or cooked?
  • I usually weigh it raw. Not to sound dumb, but which is more accurate: raw weight or cooked weight?
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    I weigh mine cooked. as touching raw chicken too much grosses me out. I use the calories the package says. mine are 110 -130 per four ounces.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I usually weigh it raw. Not to sound dumb, but which is more accurate: raw weight or cooked weight?

Doesn't matter much. What matters is using a raw entry for raw weights and a cooked entry (specifying the cooking method) for cooked weights. I think boneless is better to weigh raw, as there's no reason not to (with bone in you have to do cooked, because you shouldn't include the bone weight), and it varies based on how and how long you cook it, but if you get some kinds of commercial chicken they will add salt water, so it varies on both ends.

If it is commercial chicken, use the package info, which is for raw weights unless it says otherwise.

Otherwise or if no info, use the good MFP entries without the asterisk. Chicken is easy -- put in "chicken-breast raw" (or cooked if you want cooked) and pick the entry that is for meat only. I use the 100 grams serving, but the are oz options too.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    I usually weigh it raw. Not to sound dumb, but which is more accurate: raw weight or cooked weight?

Raw is much more accurate because cooked weight can very too much depending on cooking method, how long you cook it for, heat, etc. Lets say two people start out with 4oz raw.. both cook it with the same cooking method but one overcooks it, the other leaves it a little pink inside. Obviously the overcooked guy's chicken is going to weigh less than the slightly pink chicken. When you log it, the numbers for overcooked chicken might be 2oz and slightly pink chicken might be 3oz. So their cook weight will vary even though they both used the same method and both started with 4oz. Raw is just much more accurate.

And to answer your OP - every package of boneless, skinlles chicken breast I've ever bought always either has 110 or 120 calories per 4 oz, so one ounce of it would be either 27.5 or 30 calories. To be clear this is raw weight as the nutrition labels are always in raw weight.
  • The package says 110 calories for 4 oz. as packaged, which seems low to me, but maybe I have just been overestimating my calories. Should I go by that since I'm not cooking it with any oil, seasoning, etc., so I am basically eating it as packaged (just not raw)?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    110 calories for 4oz raw is correct. They're mostly protein.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    The package says 110 calories for 4 oz. as packaged, which seems low to me, but maybe I have just been overestimating my calories. Should I go by that since I'm not cooking it with any oil, seasoning, etc., so I am basically eating it as packaged (just not raw)?

Yes, just make sure you weigh it raw, as people often have off ideas of what 4 oz is, based on 4 oz of cooked chicken or an assumption that a breast=a serving size (it's usually more than 4 oz).
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Here are links to the information in the USDA database most food processors use worldwide for calorie estimates of their products:

Chicken, broiler or fryers, breast, skinless, boneless, meat only, raw: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/861

Chicken, broilers or fryers, breast, skinless, boneless, meat only, enhanced, raw: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/1025
    -- a lot of the big packages of frozen breasts have added brines, etc.

If you go to http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ and search you'll find a set of listings similar to these for raw and cooked chicken, with and without bones and skin.

100g of "Chicken, broiler or fryers, breast, skinless, boneless, meat only, raw" is given as 120 kcal. Kilocalories (kgal) is the actual term for what we call a calorie. If 100g of raw chicken breast meat has 120kcal and 1 ounce is approximately 28g, then 1 ounce of raw chicken breast meat is about 37 calories (120 x .28 = 33.6).
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member

Raw is much more accurate because cooked weight can very too much depending on cooking method, how long you cook it for, heat, etc. Lets say two people start out with 4oz raw.. both cook it with the same cooking method but one overcooks it, the other leaves it a little pink inside. Obviously the overcooked guy's chicken is going to weigh less than the slightly pink chicken.

Yep & the guy with the part raw chicken is going to get very sick anyway.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    I weigh mine cooked. as touching raw chicken too much grosses me out. I use the calories the package says. mine are 110 -130 per four ounces.

That weight is for raw. Cooked weight is inaccurate because of moisture loss that varies between cook temperature as well as atmosphere.

Always weigh meats raw.

Chicken breast is 110 calories for 4 ounces raw.
  • stantheman36
    stantheman36 Posts: 12 Member
    Not to add more confusion but I am new to this stuff.

Why are the calories after cooking not different, aren't I cooking out a lot of fat especially if I'm grilling or using a broiler pan.

Any input is appreciated. also appreciated is spell check lol
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Not to add more confusion but I am new to this stuff.

Why are the calories after cooking not different, aren't I cooking out a lot of fat especially if I'm grilling or using a broiler pan.

Any input is appreciated. also appreciated is spell check lol

Not much fat in boneless skinless chicken breast, if it were bacon that would be a different story. In a chicken breast all you will be cooking out is water for the most part.