Which is more important - Diet or Exercise?

Options
Hi,

About 3 months ago, all I did was sit in front of a desk, barely moved. Ate a nice big slice of chocolate cake or any sugary dessert in the afternoon every single day. Weekends I did nothing either even though I had no excuse. My excuse was I was a working mom!

Now fast forward three months to today. I joined a gym. I have a personal trainer on Mon/Fri. I work out for 1 hr (stairmaster/elliptical/bootcamp classes) on other weekdays from 6-7am. Weekends I take my dog for a walk.

My diet, I wouldn't say is perfect. I don't measure everything. But I am conscious. I have started incorporating quinoa, oats, millet etc into my diet. My afternoon dessert has turned into pears/banana or grapes.
I thought I was going places!

After about 1 months ago, my trainer took my weight and body fat measurement. No change. Nada. Zilch!
I stepped on the scale today at home, again no change.

I have a couple of friends who are on Ketogenic (all fat diet!). NO carbs at all. They eat chicken/eggs. NO CARBS.
THey don't exercise at all.
I saw them lose inches from their waist. I was skeptical about hidden fat or clogged arteries.
They do take their statistics every month and their cholestrol/triglycerides etc are in control !!!

So I am disillusioned !! Hard work doesn't pay for the first time!!! Short cuts work. This is not the way the world is supposed to work. Now I am told by my husband that my goal is not weight loss but just being active and enjoy it. Well, sometimes I question, what my motivation needs to be! I have not given up hope but I probably it would be good to know when I can start seeing results with my new (better?) routine! Sigh...

My stats: 37 yr old female. 143 pounds. 5'6"

Thanks.

Replies

• WhoWasGivenToFly
    WhoWasGivenToFly Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    what worked for me: calorie deficit for weight loss, period.

I was 60 lbs overweight exercising 3-4 times a week and eating healthy ( no junk or processed food)

you can be overweight eating no carbs if you are taking in more calories than you burn, period.
  • cassidyamymommy
    cassidyamymommy Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My diet, I wouldn't say is perfect. I don't measure everything. But I am conscious

this.... you probably are taking in more calories then you think by not measuring.
  • austinsneeze
    austinsneeze Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I heard it said once that weight loss was 85% nutrition, 15% fitness. I think nutrition is the base of weight loss, while exercise is a bonus. But, that's my personal opinion and experience. Some will disagree with me. I never exercise and I've lost 20 lbs.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is what's important for weight loss. I personally feel that it's much easier to obtain a calorie deficit with dietary changes, just because it's so difficult to burn a large number of calories (especially for me because I'm small and chronically ill).

I think most people do a combination of the two.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's 99% diet. Sorry to break it to you.

The reason the 'shortcut' of cutting carbs works is because carbs are high in calories and don't always fill you up compared to protein and fat, so when you cut carbs, you eat less calories... usually. People who lose weight on low carb are eating less calories than they used to... the people who make up for the carbs in protein and fat won't lose weight either.

I don't really call it a shortcut though, because unless you're planning on eating low carb for the rest of your life, the day you put them back in your diet, you're more likely to gain some weight back.

But pretty much, eating less is what you need to lose weight. You don't have to cut anything out... just eat more sensibly, eat high calorie foods in moderation and fill up with veggies, fruit and lean protein.
  • cherryblossombabe
    cherryblossombabe Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    It's all about the calorie deficit, I agree with you WhoWasGivenTo. I am losing consistently every week, I walk on the treadmill 30 mins x3 times a week and count all of my calories by logging my foods on here everyday. When I say log, I mean I log EVERYTHING.. Some people forget about the 2 sugars in tea or the milk in cereal for morning brekkie, it all adds up. Cut your self some slack here, you have been doing amazing with the workouts! Your body needs time to adjust to it's new routine. Give yourself some recovery time from working out to.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Diet. Diet. Diet.

You can't out train a bad diet.
  • Screwedntattooed
    Screwedntattooed Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Diet.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for fitness and overall health. Calorie deficit is for weight loss. You can combine the 2 for great results. But right it's about you consuming more than you need to, which is why your aren't losing any weight. Guesstimating doesn't work for many, you just have to get more into habit of measuring correctly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    For my goals it is a 60-40 split diet- exercise
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    My diet, I wouldn't say is perfect. I don't measure everything. But I am conscious.

Everybody thinks they're "conscious".

Log.

Everything.
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Pounds are lost in the kitchen .
  • samammay
    Options
    If you want to lose weight, reduce your calories.
    If you want to look good in your clothes, do lots of cardio.
    If you want to look great naked, lift weights.
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Hi,

About 3 months ago, all I did was sit in front of a desk, barely moved. Ate a nice big slice of chocolate cake or any sugary dessert in the afternoon every single day. Weekends I did nothing either even though I had no excuse. My excuse was I was a working mom!

Now fast forward three months to today. I joined a gym. I have a personal trainer on Mon/Fri. I work out for 1 hr (stairmaster/elliptical/bootcamp classes) on other weekdays from 6-7am. Weekends I take my dog for a walk.

My diet, I wouldn't say is perfect. I don't measure everything. But I am conscious. I have started incorporating quinoa, oats, millet etc into my diet. My afternoon dessert has turned into pears/banana or grapes.
    I thought I was going places!

After about 1 months ago, my trainer took my weight and body fat measurement. No change. Nada. Zilch!
    I stepped on the scale today at home, again no change.

I have a couple of friends who are on Ketogenic (all fat diet!). NO carbs at all. They eat chicken/eggs. NO CARBS.
    THey don't exercise at all.
    I saw them lose inches from their waist. I was skeptical about hidden fat or clogged arteries.
    They do take their statistics every month and their cholestrol/triglycerides etc are in control !!!

So I am disillusioned !! Hard work doesn't pay for the first time!!! Short cuts work. This is not the way the world is supposed to work. Now I am told by my husband that my goal is not weight loss but just being active and enjoy it. Well, sometimes I question, what my motivation needs to be! I have not given up hope but I probably it would be good to know when I can start seeing results with my new (better?) routine! Sigh...

My stats: 37 yr old female. 143 pounds. 5'6"

Thanks.
    Ases;

You're sure to get any number of divergent opinion replies - many of which the authors proclaim to be "THE" answer.

Unfortunately, a good number of these are based on dogma, not fact. It's up to you to do your own research and separate the wheat from the chaff.

To my mind "diet" and "exercise" are not one and the same. Each has benefits but they are not necessarily "joined at the hip" in that one is specifically dependent on the other.

Weight loss is totally dependent on diet (regardless of the methodology selected), it is NOT dependent (exclusively) on exercise (as you have seen). This is NOT to say that exercise isn't a necessary part of overall health and wellness - it IS.

Any number of recent clinical studies have demonstrated that weight loss with NO exercise is not only possible, but in many cases just as successful (in some cases more so). Cardio exercise, by and large has little to no positive weight loss effect. Resistance, in moderation and at the appropriate time has been shown to be at least positive but NOT absolutely necessary.

Many of these forums cling desperately to the old myths and "truisms" - no pain no gain, if you fail it's your own fault, you're just lazy or lying about your cal intake.

It's NOT about morality, it IS about science.

Your understanding of "keto/LC" diets is woefully inadequate but likely represents the level of understanding of many, having been so frequently misrepresented by the ignoranti.

I'd suggest you might want to do your own research and gain an understanding of WHY many believe LCHF is not only much "healthier" in the long run but also provides the weight reduction benefits that it does.

It is NOT a "fad diet", NOT an "...all fat diet...", nor is it ..."NO CARBS..", or that "...they don't exercise AT ALL..."

It IS a specific dietary approach which, first and foremost offers any number of long term health benefits and, as a positive "side effect", allows many to reach their weight and body fat goals. (with or without any specific exercises).

If you are interested, take a look here to begin:
    http://tinyurl.com/lez37n4
  • RMZ2014
    RMZ2014 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I would ask you "Do you FEEL better?". I would be willing to bet you do.

I have consistently heard/read it is 80% diet. For me personally it is both diet and exercise. I have to do both to lose weight and it has been that way since I was in my early 20's. I find that exercise makes me FEEL better, and that in turns helps me keep my diet on the straight and narrow. And I HAVE to count calories and measure my food. Otherwise I am deluding myself. I knew I was over eating, but did not realize how much until I started logging everything. It is sooo easy to overeat. It blows my mind how fast those calories can add up. Keep at it and good luck. :happy:
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    All of my doctors tell me is dieting is 80% what you eat and 20% exercise. So far I found this to be true. If I eat healthy and in my calorie range without exercise I still lose weight.
  • JtKeil
    JtKeil Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Exercise boosts my confidence and keeps me in the right frame of mind to make good choices. It also has the benefit of being great for my health and increasing the calorie deficit needed to lose weight. To me, they're equally important.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    If you want the scale to tip it is more diet and I am good at guessing but I have worked at Deli so I measure food all the time but still can be off and I am also good at forgetting to log at times.
    I do not agree with the scale being only measure. I would check you body fat or inches they probably have changed. I have worked hard with a trainer and at this point heavier than I thought I wanted to be but when I see the image in the mirror I can't help but smile. I am toned and lean and healthier than ever. I look much younger and energy is high. Don't give up on exercise confidence, energy, mood, sexy are all helped by exercise combing cardio and strength training of some kind. Good Luck
  • Zerodette
    Zerodette Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It's not fair to say that paying attention to your diet is a shortcut while exercising is hard work. Sure, one makes you sweaty and tired, but both take diligence.

I used to work out 6-7 hours a week while consuming 5000 calories a day, because I thought working out gave me the right to eat whatever I wanted. All I can do is shae my head at how wrongheaded I was. To lose weight, you need a deficit. To be sure of a deficit, logging helps. Real logging, not just "being conscious."
  • eatclean13
    eatclean13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Diet is the single most important thing you can do for your health, weight loss, mood, energy etc. When we do not eat correctly our hormones get out of balance and that causes all of the above to not function properly. Low carb diets are the most studied diets in history and what the research points to is that they are more right than wrong but you can't take that to mean eat all the bacon you want. There are no shortcuts! If we are going to have long term success than we have to examine every calorie that we ingest. Also calorie deficit is important but now we know that not all calories are created equally. A very good book that gave me a better understanding of nutrients is "The Wahls Protocol" by Terry Wahls MD. Diet may very well be 85% of the recipe for weight loss but our overall health and well being is the real goal. I wish you the best of luck.