Protein Shakes for Dummies

Options
2»

Replies

• MaddyT122
    MaddyT122 Posts: 152 Member
    Options

If you are counting dollars along with protein, you might consider normal dairy products. I ran some calculations and the most cost-effective source of protein-per-dollar, including whey powder, is nonfat cottage cheese, 160 kcal/ 28 g protein, 1 cup. Nonfat greek yogurt is a close second with 130kcal/23 g protein, 1 cup but it is more expensive than cottage cheese. Regular yogurt is way behind with 130kcal/13 g protein. Of course the protein source in dairy products is whey.

^^ This. I make my own homemade Greek yogurt and end up with a lot of leftover whey. I mix it into my smoothies. It's free.
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I have a comparison chart if anyone is interested message me on Facebook - I can't get it to paste here.
    https://www.facebook.com/ellie.franklin.50

I sent you an FB message. It will go to your "Other" folder since we're not FB friends. Thanks!
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    QUEST bars!

Do you have any recipes that use Quest bars as an ingredient in protein shakes?

I think she was just suggesting them as a viable alternative to protein shakes. They're a bit more portable, and have just as much protein as a shake does.

Um, I know. It was supposed to be a joke. Oh well can't win them all. :laugh:
  • simoneg14
    simoneg14 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I use natural hemp protein due to me cutting out cows milk.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I love Pure Protein by MetRX. The milk chocolate and the cake batter are really good.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Try your flavor of choice and go with optimum nutrition. Good place to start.
  • Phobos1618
    Options
    ON is the standard really, http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Double-Chocolate/dp/B000QSNYGI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413427417&sr=8-1&keywords=optimum+nutrition

It's better not to drink whey if you can eat more meat, eggs, low fat cottage cheese instead. Whole foods > liquid foods all day long.