Net Calories Consumed / Day - is this right?

Options
Uhfgood
Uhfgood Posts: 128 Member
I seem to remember calculating my basal metabolic rate and resting mr, and I came to the conclusion that maintaining my weight would be somewhere between 1800-1900 calories, however, this thing claims I can eat 2060 a day and lose 1/2 lb a week. Doesn't sound right to me.

When I was losing weight the year before last, I would keep my calories down to about 1600 a day. Just doesn't sound right. But I guess I could try it to see if I gain or lose.

Replies

• onelonelysocknoble
    Options
    I just tried to calculate my basic calories by other means, height, age, sex etc... there are so many differing calculations on different internet sites that I vary by 500 calories dependant upon site.

I did quite like a quote from a daily mirror article based around how many calories we 'really' should be eating:

"NHS guidelines state the average female needs 2,000 calories a day but the number of calories we can eat without gaining weight varies from woman to woman.

It’s all down to the speed of our metabolism – how quickly our bodies use up energy.

To discover how much this can vary, we tested six women of different ages and lifestyles at the University of Westminster’s Human Performance lab.

They fasted for 12 hours then lay completely still.

Dr Jane Naufahu, a lecturer in human nutrition, measured how much oxygen and carbon dioxide they were breathing in and out, which enabled her to find how quickly their bodies use up energy from food "

Unless you have a university lab lying around I think you're a tad handicapped, I'm personally sticking with trial, error and knowledge of my own body. :)
  • Uhfgood
    Options
    Unless you have a university lab lying around I think you're a tad handicapped, I'm personally sticking with trial, error and knowledge of my own body. :)

Indeed :-)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    BMR/RMR is the # of calories your body needs at absolute rest - like when you're sleeping or if you were in a coma. You would need at least 20% more than that to maintain (sedentary TDEE). Assuming 1900 is right, your sedentary TDEE would be 2280. Then decreasing that by 250 cal per day to lose 1/2 a pound per week gives you 2030 - not too far from the 2060 MFP gave you.

All calculators are going to give you a slightly different number. Try 2060 for 4-6 weeks, eat back at least half of any earned exercise calories, and see how you do. If you're logging consistently and accurately and not losing, you may need to custom set a bit lower.
  • JonDyn
    JonDyn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    1800-1900 maintenance doesn't quite seem right for a man, even a smaller one.
  • Uhfgood
    Options
    1800-1900 maintenance doesn't quite seem right for a man, even a smaller one.

Do you feel it should be higher?
  • VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Whats your weight and height?
  • Uhfgood
    Options
    5'4", 225lbs (and male which should be obvious now :-) )