Should I start 10k training?

Options
I need advice from other runners... I'm considering taking a 10k training clinic in early October. I've never competed in a race, but I run 5k in 31 minutes. Should I try to improve this time on my own, or should I take the challenge of training for a 10k. Now that I'm ready to go further, I'd like to do it with the support and advice of a group and instructor. My other option is to take a 5k training, but I don't see the point of paying for a class to teach me to do something I'm already doing... I hope this makes sense! I would appreciate any input/advice. By the way, I'm a 33 year old female who started running a little over two months ago... Thanks!!

Replies

• Dichotomy1976
    Dichotomy1976 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi, I often run 10k+ and have never used a trainer. I've gone from being completely out of shape (and over 80lbs heavier than I am now), to being able to run 5k in around 24 minutes and 10k in around 50 minutes (and I still have about 40lbs to lose), so I know it is possible without a trainer. There are also many training routines online for 10k as well as a wealth of information on how to improve your times so you can still have structure without paying money for a trainer. This works for me, but if you really feel a trainer would motivate you more and help you improve more than you would on your own then that might be the better choice for you. Just remember that a trainer will set you a similar routine you could find online.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I started running in May 2013 without an app, without a trainer, without a plan. I just listened to my body. Started really slow and ran lots of hill intervalls. I now run 9-11k regularly at a pace of 7-7.5min/km in hilly terrain. I love running through the forest and races don't appeal to me. I'm happy with my progress and for me it's not just for the cal burn, it's also the peace and quiet in nature that I love.

But the input of a trainer can surely help you if you are more ambitious than I am. He can give you ideas of different training possibilites and intervalls. He can also analyze your form while running. That can be very helpful. So it could be worth trying.
  • Naturena19
    Options
    Thanks everyone, that's very good advice. I also started running on my own, without a plan. I just went out to run and timed myself with Runkeeper, trying to go a bit further every time. I also love running in the trails in nature. It's a great feeling, and I regret waiting so long to try it.

I guess my main concern is actually being ready to take on the 10k, since I haven't been doing this for very long. However, the program requires that participants be able to run a minimum of 25 minutes at a time, which I've already surpassed. On good days, I run at about a 6:05 mins/km. I know I could probably work my way up to 10k on my own, but my concern is trying to overdo it and getting injured. I also think it would be nice to meet other people who run and to be part of a group. I just hope I'm ready to take on the challenge...

Thanks again, and congrats to both of you for all the hard work and doing it on your own! That's amazing. :)
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Me, I like a structured routine so I started on a C25K plan in July and am now running 5K three times a week (with a time of around 37-39 mins). Bear in mind I've never run before & am 51 yrs old!

I'm now wanting to increase my distance, so am using (again) a structured plan - the Bluefin Bridge to 10K program (designed for 5K 'graduates').

All of this is free online, so doesn't cost me anything, but I just feel more comfortable being 'given' instructions, rather than trying to plan it out myself! Hope that helps!
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Naturena - at that pace you are definitely ready! And from a 'social' aspect, I think the clinic could be a fun experience.
  • Naturena19
    Options
    Wow, I think running 5k three times a week is fantastic, especially since you started in July! Your pace will improve over time, I'm sure.

I know there are many plans out there for the 10k, and I've already downloaded them to my iPhone... But my main reasons for wanting to join a training class is for the peer support and tips on how to avoid injuries from training. I guess I'm concerned that some people will be really advanced and might wonder what a 'newbie' like me is doing there. But I guess I won't know unless I try...

Thanks again!
  • Naturena19
    Options
    Naturena - at that pace you are definitely ready! And from a 'social' aspect, I think the clinic could be a fun experience.

I hope so. :) That's really my main concern -- being ready... I think I should try it, and if it's really too advanced, I can always switch to another class.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Should I try to improve this time on my own, or should I take the challenge of training for a 10k.

As a reasonably new runner the way that you're going to make most progress with 5K time is increasing the time on your feet, so increasing your mileage by session and in general. The easiest way to do that is to increase your distance to a consistent 10K.

Personally speaking I prefer running on my own so I preferred to move onto a 10Km improvement plan, and subsequently half marathon plan.

As you're using Runkeeper already have a look at their plans.
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    there are many websites that will help you get going. I do find that running with a group once a week helps push me to the next level. Soon you will have the 10K done and be looking at half marathons. This running thing just mushrooms. Welcome
  • Naturena19
    Options
    Thanks! Whether I do it alone or with the class, I think I definitely have to move towards the 10k distance. In the beginning I was trying to go too fast and I could only run 9-10 minutes at a time, about a mile... After a while, I realized that there's something called a 'training pace'... Lol. Now that I'm going a bit slower, I can cover longer distances and I feel much better afterwards!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Whether I do it alone or with the class, I think I definitely have to move towards the 10k distance. In the beginning I was trying to go too fast and I could only run 9-10 minutes at a time, about a mile... After a while, I realized that there's something called a 'training pace'... Lol. Now that I'm going a bit slower, I can cover longer distances and I feel much better afterwards!

Sadly, many runners never learn this lesson until they're injured.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you could get a lot out of the clinic. I wouldn't worry about being the "newbie". They probably separate people by pace and/or experience so you're with people at the same level.

Moving up to a 10k is just about increasing mileage (time on your feet) at a small enough increase to avoid injury. If you can do 5k, no worries that you can get yourself to 10k and beyond, if you want. You can certainly do this on your own, as well. A trainer and group can give you great knowledge and the social aspect.

My story: Started running in Jan. 2013. Stayed committed to running 3 times a week and ran my first half-marathon by November last year (5k and 10k races in between).

I'm now training for my third half-marathon, have a 10k race coming up in 3 weeks, and keep on running 3 times a week...distance per run varies from 3 miles to above 10 miles, depending on my training. I'm 43.
  • Naturena19
    Options
    Wow... I'm just so motivated and inspired by your stories! Brandiuntz congrats on taking on training for your third half marathon! Not sure if I'll ever get there... I'll start with the 10k and we'll see where it goes. I'm not very competitive by nature, but I like how running forces me to set personal goals, and love the feeling of accomplishment it gives me when I reach them.

I appreciate all the tips and advice... I think I will end up taking the clinic. I'm sure there will be other beginners as well.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I am 49, female and for twenty plus years...I used to smoke a pack of cigarettes until a year and half ago. At that point, I could not run more than 100m without running out of air and today I am running 10+k three times a week without stopping or running out of air.

I successfully completed the free apps C25K and C210K and can highly recommend them. I did jump into the C210K app right at week 8 or so to not repeat all the "beginners'" exercises. So far I have completed two 10K races without any hiccups and now I am training for a half marathon.

I liked the structured approach of the two apps and for me it worked very well.

Do not be afraid of races! What helped me was to tell myself that I only wanted to finish them and not to compete with others. I was soooo proud after my first race and I did not care that others ran it much faster!

Today, I did the Grouse Grind here in Vancouver which is an iffy hike up a mountain that is very well known for being a very exhaustive stair climb. I "outran" my 15 year old niece and her friend and finished at just one hour, while the average time is 90 minutes. (They came twenty minutes after me)

So what I am trying to say it, training helps and you will get better. At the beginning I could not see a huge performance jump but now I am fitter than ever in my life. Small steps will lead to huge improvements in the long run, at least they did for me.

Last point, enough sleep and proper nutrition is half a race, in my opinion and to regularly get some rest days in helps prevent injuries.

Best of luck
    Stef.
  • olivia_june
    olivia_june Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Super long story short, I started getting back into exercise and diet in January and more seriously in March. I've played sports in the past but was never a long distance runner. I would say I'm "moderately athletic", meaning that with a few exceptions I basically can do any exercise/sport fairly easily, even if I'm not amazing at it. I'm 23 and still overweight, although I've lost 40lbs this year.

I ran my first 5k in July, ran a 5k obstacle course race the day after, and then another 5k the following weekend (all formal races/events).

I just ran my first 10k this past Friday (another formal race) and TBH I was surprised how easy it was. I was by no means fast, nor do I run the whole way or anything like that, but I was utterly terrified and yet I did fine and even improved my time by a few seconds per mile. I had never even walked that distance before.

I downloaded the Hal Higdon training app for a half-marathon and I start it tomorrow!

Basically, I'm telling you all of this to say HECK YES try a 10k. They are not nearly as scary as they seem!
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    If you're a social kind of person, by all means, go to the 10k clinic. I am more of an introvert, and most of my training is done solo. However, I do like training with the people at Team In Training. It gives me an opportunity to put my running to good use (raising funds for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society) and help others out with their training.
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options

Sadly, many runners never learn this lesson until they're injured.
    ^^This. The training pace also allows you to condition more efficiently as you build your aerobic base. I like to run alone as I have to carve time away from family and work time to get my training in. Started with C25k stuff and then found other online 10k training programs. What works for me is maintaining a base mileage each week. In the beginning 10 miles a week walking/running, then without walking. Once I was just running I started improving that weekly distance by 10% every two weeks. 10 miles became 11. 11 became 12.1 and so on. Eventually I started adding in longer runs over the weekends. Also found Hal Higdon running plans and forums here on MFP for advice.

Good luck. Finished my first marathon this past May after barely running 2 miles 4 years ago.
  • Runcakes
    Runcakes Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'd say go for it! If you can do 5k you should definitely be able to train for 10k no problem.
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a training clinic would be perfect for you. Don't worry about any advanced runners, most of them are more than willing to spread some good advice! We all started somewhere, right? Imagine where you would be if you knew about a good training pace sooner. You can learn about breathing rhythm, get tips about your running form, learn new types of workouts (fartleks and intervals are great for training, but TOUGH!), and maybe even find some running partners for when the clinic is over! I was lucky enough to run with a few coaches for almost 10 years, and I still learn new things about running. If you have aspirations of running faster or longer, I think you are making a great choice :)
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm also thinking about stretching out to a 10k. I started the C25k program a couple of months ago and went from being a non-runner at all, to running my first race and running 3 miles 3-4 days a week. Sunday is my 'long day' running. Once you get a base, it seems like adding time is really easy, you get in that zone where you're not getting more tired - you're just cruising. So after running for 45 minutes this morning...it made me realize that doing a 10k is definitely doable. It sounds crazy to me, because 3 months ago 10k might as well have been a half marathon to me.

I want to do another 5k in October and November, but I'm definitely going to keep pushing my mileage up and look to tackle a 10k early next year. In the one race I ran, I realized I ran at a faster pace than i train at...so I definitely want to be sure I'm fully ready....