Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Walking PAST the kitchen.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    For me, I don't have much time in my day so I subscribe to "what exercise will burn the most calories in the shortest amount of time" - for me that is running. All I have to do is lace up and either jump on the treadmill or head outside.

I also got an activity tracker and that has made me more active than I have ever been outside of my workouts. I am always consciously trying to get more steps in... it's very motivating to make myself move more.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit~ weight loss
    Exercise~ health/fitness

But find whatever you enjoy doing. Some love running, I personally hate it. so do whatever you enjoy. I like kettlebells, it's a fun workout. Everyone will like different things so try a bunch and see what you like.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I would say whatever you enjoy, because then you will stick with it longer!
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Anything you will stick to combined with a calorie deficit.

I'm fond of lifting and cycling, with some running, swimming, coaching soccer, and beating on the heavy bag thrown in for good measure.
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Echoing what most people have said; find something you like. Another factor I found, especially if you are short of time, is to find things with zero overhead and minimal possible excuses.

For me, that has translated to push-ups (you can always do a few push ups) and my stationary bike parked right in front of a TV; so no weather or boredom excuses. I also run, swim and cycle outdoors - but they are more excuse prone.

Also, as others pointed out in a roundabout way, you do need to watch your diet - measure all (or at least be sure to overestimate what you eat). It takes me about 75 mins running 8 miles to kill one good sub (which I can down in 4 mins!)
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I will say that running has worked for me. I've lost more inches running than I ever did walking. I also enjoy running more than walking. Running gives me the competition and goals that were lacking from Zumba, walking, and tennis (when you don't have a partner or back boards, tennis is difficult to do).
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Swimming, swimming, swimming.

It burns calories like nobody's business, works all the muscles, gives cardio and resistance and allows you to stay cool while you work out.

I don't think there is anything better!

Screws up your hair, though...and you're always wet when you're done.
  • vegasgyrl79971
    Options
    Any cardio will help lose weight. Swimming by far will give you the biggest calorie burn with the least amount of stress on your joints. But just find something you like and do it. If your gym has classes try them out. Good Luck!
  • godswill206
    Options
    Should the calorie deficit be incremental or all at once?
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I swear everyday, the people on here amaze me. It's like no matter the topic you have to be A**es. Why? Are you that unhappy? If you think her post is silly, guess what? Dont reply. Why use your time to be snarky and rude? I just don't get it. I guess because Ive never ran with the mean girls and my self esteem has never been that low. But anyway, to OP. Any cardio will help lose weight. Swimming by far will give you the biggest calorie burn with the least amount of stress on your joints. But just find something you like and do it. If your gym has classes try them out. Good Luck!

agree on all fronts.

exercise wise, swimming has helped me lose 3 stone in 3months.

do whatever you enjoy.
  • This site is great for choosing an exercise program that fits your needs. The Program Picker: http://www.rohitnair.net/pp/ Hope this helps.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Walk or run it's free.
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I swear everyday, the people on here amaze me. It's like no matter the topic you have to be A**es. Why? Are you that unhappy? If you think her post is silly, guess what? Dont reply. Why use your time to be snarky and rude? I just don't get it. I guess because Ive never ran with the mean girls and my self esteem has never been that low. But anyway, to OP. Any cardio will help lose weight. Swimming by far will give you the biggest calorie burn with the least amount of stress on your joints. But just find something you like and do it. If your gym has classes try them out. Good Luck!

I don't think anyone was trying to be wicked. It's really a very valid statement about healthy eating being the most efficient thing for weight loss. I read a lot on another lifting website, and they are constantly using the saying 'Abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym". They are just trying to help based on an incredible amount of anecdotal evidence.

Anyway, swimming will give you the most bang for your buck if you are vigorous. Myself? My focus is on strength training, and I also enjoy running. Bicycling can be a nice outdoor activity to get a scenic view if the weather is nice. Do what makes you happy, because you will burn a whole lot more calories walking for an hour every day and enjoying it than swimming only 15 minutes a week because you despise it!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options

geez not even the OP was this mad.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    The honest to dog best exercise ever for weight loss is the one that doesn't feel like "exercise" or "working out' and one you would gladly be able to do every day of your able-bodied life if you could, even when you're tired or cranky or grumpy or otherwise not in the mood to move. The trick is finding out what that is for you. For me it's dance. Good luck!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Amen.

Make use of the Ignore feature. Click the arrow next to their name and click to ignore that user. Zap! Poof! Nonsense eliminated. You never see another post! :)

Spend a couple days doing that with anyone who is rude, picking on people personally, name-calling like a kindergartener...very quickly, the boards become a much happier and supportive place.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Whichever exercise you enjoy doing is the best one.

For losing weight, all it takes is a calorie deficit. Exercise can help with that, but you can't outrun a bad diet (or out-walk, out-dance, out-kick box, etc.).