deficet to lower body fat or recomp?!?!

Options
I have reached my goal weight and wondering on any thoughts about taking a week off dieting? I think it might be healthy because i am getting very burnt out on calorie counting and dieting. I have been on mfp 5 mo... and i am starting strength training..

AAALLLSSSOOOO

I AM very confused. I see two different answers. I am at a low weightn 5'5 tall 115 lb and still have quite a bit of belly fat. I see two answers. U cannot lower bf % without a small deficet. Or should maintain and body recomp. Confused on what route to take?

Replies

• auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Build muscle!
    But remember you do need some fat, women more than men.

Below are the WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION %BF recommendation.

calculate-my-body-fat-percentage.gif
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    You can't lose weight without a slight deficit, but you can certainly lose BF%. You can certainly maintain your weight and build muscle, but you would put on muscle faster if you were to bulk. The downside of course being that some of the weight you gain in a bulk is also fat. This random internet stranger gives one vote for a bulk :)
  • Calren2
    Options
    I'm basicly with Ryan here. If you've hit your goal and you're starting in on strength training, you're going to need nutrition to build muscle. That's not to say that you should eat a jar of peanut butter like Winnie Pooh finding honey, or drink a gallon of milk a day (sometimes abbreviated here and elsewhere as GOMAD,) but to eat enough of a surplus to support this construction while not eating excessively more than what's needed. Hitting your protein goals reliably would be a good starting goal post, and this can be done without supplements just by eating chicken breasts, various beans, etc - whatever fits your budget and tastes. Essentially, a lean bulk phase while keeping an eye on your body fat every month or so.

The reason for the whole body recomp versus bulk and cut cycles, in my eyes, comes down to preference and discipline. A person that is only looking at the scale without doing measurements or keeping track of their performance in the gym is going to have a bad time on a recomp. I personally like the idea of mild bulk and cuts for myself over recomping just because the holidays are around the corner.

As always, Your Mileage May Vary, consult a registered dietician for actual custom advice, etc etc etc.
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You can't lose weight without a slight deficit, but you can certainly lose BF%. You can certainly maintain your weight and build muscle, but you would put on muscle faster if you were to bulk. The downside of course being that some of the weight you gain in a bulk is also fat. This random internet stranger gives one vote for a bulk :)

Really accurate and perfect suggestion, you cannot put on muscle faster if you were to bulk.
  • bebenevaeh
    bebenevaeh Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Okay got it! Ty. How long should a bulk cut cycle last? Surplus of??? Than defecit of? I have a hard time eating so many calories w out filling it up w crap! Lol
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I think you will find that to be a matter of preference. You might get 10 different answers here about the 'best' way to bulk. I would recommend starting at a 250 calorie surplus over your maintenance calories. This would lead to a weight gain of half a pound per week. Anything less and you are going to have a hard time telling if you are eating the right amount of calories due to naturally fluctuating body weight. Eating more than that might result in faster muscle growth, but also a lot more fat, and a longer period to cut.

I hate to be so vague, but your time for the bulking cycle is also going to be up to you. 12 weeks of bulking at a half pound would add six pounds to your frame over three month. Again, you could go longer or shorter than that depending on how comfortable you are in your own skin. Then go on an a cut at around the same deficit as your bulk was. Half a pound loss per week for a little over six weeks should leave you with the same amount of fat, but a bit more muscle.

My numbers may not be the best example, as I'm not as familiar to what your goals should be as a female lifter, so take all that as more of a guideline than rule :) Your workout routine will be just as important as your nutrition when you begin this, What are you currently using for programming?
  • bebenevaeh
    Options
    I jus used the tdee method which was 1970 for mantinence so i added 200 to be safe :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Good answer but I would come to the opposite conclusion for anyone that is a beginner to strength training.
    Personally I would advise recomp first and take advantage of newbie gains.

In my opinion the time to consider a bulk is when / if your progress stalls and you aren't where you want to be in terms of physique.
  • formerfatboy1
    formerfatboy1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your metabolism has come to a hault. Continue to do what you are doing for another 4-6 weeks and if body fat is still stagnant add a cheat meal not a cheat day just a cheat meal after your 4-6 weeks is up and see if that gets the ball rolling in the right direction. It should help kick start your metabolism again. :smile: Good Luck!
  • bebenevaeh
    Options
    See im so confused! I lost 20-25 lb in 3 mo down to 115 which is the smallest i should be for my hieght. I have been at a stand still for two mo. At mantinence or perhaps a lil above w no gain nor no inches lost :( heres a pic if it works.
    ninalol_zpsed884042.jpg

I apriciate all the feedback and replies thank u!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I agree with the recomp, because you are new to lifting.

Eat at maitenance, start your program and get used to the moves, get your form down and since you are new you will build some muscle esp at maitenance.

After 3-6 months reassess...

I've been lifting for over a year and have yet to do a bulk...I did a short recomp over the summer...at a small deficit...and continuing that until I lose 3 more lbs then reassess.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    {b]Sounds like your metabolism has come to a hault[/b]. Continue to do what you are doing for another 4-6 weeks and if body fat is still stagnant add a cheat meal not a cheat day just a cheat meal after your 4-6 weeks is up and see if that gets the ball rolling in the right direction. It should help kick start your metabolism again. :smile: Good Luck!

hmmm I don't think the OP died...she's still posting...

If you aren't losing, and it's been 4-6 weeks, it's because you are eating at maitenance not because your metabolism haulted...
  • bebenevaeh
    Options
    Thank u i should stay at mantinence for a while i think im being impatient.

I am not tryin to lose weight cuz i am at the lowest weight for my height. Im tryin to lower body fat cuz of this tum n skinny arms n legs! Lol
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Another random internet strangers opinion here, but the diet break sounds a great idea, and would probably make it 10- 14 days. After that, you may have a better idea on which way you prefer to go then. Myself, if in your situation, I would probably take the dietary break, come back and calorie cycle (eat at maintenance for 4 days, calorie deficit for 3), and do some high intensity interval strength training to torch the body fat while building some muscle. Just my thoughts :)
  • bebenevaeh
    Options
    Can i still get noob gains at mantinence i feel that i have had some already. Legs n butt r toned (not big) lil bicep muscle n i found a back muscle growing. Im trying the jamie eason 12 week program. No cardio this mo. Nxt mo adds moderate cardio to fat burn but not eat away muscle
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same issue a few months ago when my weight dropped very low but I still had some problem areas I wanted to work on. I decided to eat at maintenance and incorporate heavy weight training. I noticed a significant improvement in my problem areas, for me it was my stomach and thighs.

I am now bulking but I wouldn't recommend jumping into it right away from a deficit and if you just started lifting (but that is just my opinion - every case is different of course). Bulking is a huge mental commitment especially if you are just coming from losing weight.

I think in your case you will see great benefits from eating at maintenance and lifting...If you don't see any improvements in a few months (it will take time, so patience here is key) you may need to modify.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    +1 for maintenance and lift. Hit your macros / calories for 3 months and then reevaluate.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options

This, though I suggest you reverse diet up to maintenance for a few months first to make a smoother transition into your bulk and give you a stable baseline for maintenance calories.

You can get noob gains even in a deficit, but that relates to strength gains more than hypertrophy
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Can i still get noob gains at mantinence i feel that i have had some already. Legs n butt r toned (not big) lil bicep muscle n i found a back muscle growing. Im trying the jamie eason 12 week program. No cardio this mo. Nxt mo adds moderate cardio to fat burn but not eat away muscle

I don't suggest Jamie Eason's program without a baseline of total body strength. I suggest maintenance and StrongLifts 5x5, then reevaluate after the 12 week program is over.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    On the diet break thing, have a read of this article

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/