Anyone from Colorado? Would love to move there

Gerkenstein
Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
edited September 22 in Chit-Chat
I'd love to move to Colorado and am looking around Boulder and Denver. Anyone from there or know the area and can give me some general info about it? I'm looking for an administrative assistant position or an entry level position in training and development.

Will most likely rent an apt. What's the avg price of a 2-bdrm apt? Are there certain areas of town we should avoid? How's the job market?

If anyone knows a great tool on the internet that would be helpful in comparing job markets, salary, housing, general cost, etc. that would be greatly appreciated. Would appreciate any and all info offered.

Replies

• I am moving to CO in June Ft Carson
  • jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    I'm from Colorado!!! Personally would stay away from Boulder, beautiful town, but would never live there!! I am not a big city person so I am as far West as you can possibly be without going into the mountains, would be in the mountains if I could. 2 Bedroom from what I hear from friends like $800 - $1200, just depends on what your looking for.

Good Luck!!
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Boulder is a beautiful town full of awesome liberals. I would live there if I could afford it, but it is very expensive. The job market is the same as everywhere else...crappy. The areas surrounding Denver are reasonable. I had a 2 bedroom apt a couple years ago for 650. We have really good public transportation to get to downtown. I would avoid Aurora (no offense to anyone in Aurora). If you move here I have a great 2 bedroom 3 level townhouse for pretty cheap. :wink:

I love this place and I can't imagine ever living anywhere else.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    I've lived in several areas around the Denver metro area - Englewood, Denver, Aurora (a few locations). Denver proper has much higher rent. You'll find more affordable apartments in the suburbs. Some areas of Aurora really aren't that bad - Southeast aurora is the newer, nicer area. I've paid $575/mo for a very small one bedroom apartment (Englewood), $599/mo for a good sized one bedroom apartment (Aurora) and $700/mo for a two bedroom (Aurora).

Look on rent.com or forrent.com to look up apartment prices around the area - quite a few apartment places are on there.

If there was one area of town I'd suggest you avoid it's commerce city - lots of factories/industrial properties near there. If you want easy parking and not-so-crazy traffic, avoid downtown Denver, as well.
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    I've lived in Colorado for nearly four years, and also couldn't imagine living anywhere else! We're in the small (but growing!) town of Erie, which is about 20 miles north of Denver, and 13 miles east of Boulder. I agree with some of the other posters -- you're better off in the suburbs -- both towns are expensive! Westminster, Arvada, Northglenn, Thornton are all "bedroom" communities of Denver and are a straight shot into downtown Denver down I-25, and Boulder is right off of Rte 36, also very easy to get to.

Living in Colorado, you get the very best of both worlds -- snow in winter (closest ski resorts are an hour away or less) and warm in summer (but with very, very little humidity!). The Rocky Mountains are very close -- I can see them from my house! ;) Plus, if you love beer, there are more microbreweries here than anywhere in the country! (not my thing, but my husband loves that part! lol)
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Hi!

Have lived in Colorado my entire life (and no, it wasn't just a territory then :angry: ) and have worked in Boulder since 1990. Very expensive town to rent in and since it's a college town your neighbors might not always respect your peace & quiet. :tongue:

South of Denver in the Tech Center area is where you'll find more jobs, but not sure how you'd feel living in a bigger city.

Good luck to you on your move! :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Do you like living with housemates? I have 3 housemates - we rent a 4 bedroom house and each pay $375 a month. And we live about 2 miles from the center of downtown - we are right in the city, and $375 is VERY affordable for Denver.

As far as jobs are concerned, my biggest resource is canpo.org's non profit job board. Not sure if that is the type of thing you are looking for though.

Good luck with your searches! I moved out here a year and a half ago *officially* and I absolutely LOVE it. =)
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    I'd live in Boulder again if I could afford to, but am currently in Westminster--also a nice town.

Boulder is the most bike friendly place I know of--lots of bike lanes, and the people respect cyclists. It is a great place to live if you are active in any way, there is a ski resort ~half an hour "up" in Nederland, beautiful places to hike, many running events such as the Bolder Boulder (held on Memorial Day) that you just "have" to do for the entertainment even if you walk it (one of the largest 10Ks in the world) that has a really nice tribute afterwards to honor those who have given so much to our country. The locals will be out belly dancing along the way, handing out bacon (it's amazing how good this tastes while running a 10K!), beer, etc. and providing sprinklers to run through and slip and slides for the younger participants. It is a college town, very scenic with the view of the flatirons, and, yes, full of liberals. You can also go into most restaurants still in your bike gear and not feel uncomfortable. But if you feel like dressing up there is always the Flagstaff House http://www.flagstaffhouse.com/ (the food is wonderful!) I did have a rental property there, 1 bedroom, 1 bath that I had no trouble renting out for $1200/month back in 1994-2001 (700 ft2)...and it appears rent has not gone up much since.

I've also lived in Broomfield, Longmont and Westminster and they are also nice. I do not like Denver...especially downtown as it feels claustrophobic to me with the tall buildings and you pay a lot to breathe air that just doesn't feel as clean. Then there's the traffic. I know some people like being in a city like that though....

That's my 2 cents worth :smile:
This discussion has been closed.