Stability Ball

Options
kmg748
kmg748 Posts: 40 Member
I have a question on how to log stability exercises. Do you burn any calories doing these sit ups, weights etc. Feels like it anyways. I notice there isn't anything when I type in stability ball. Any help would be appreciated.:happy:

Replies

• kmg748
    kmg748 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have a question on how to log stability exercises. Do you burn any calories doing these sit ups, weights etc. Feels like it anyways. I notice there isn't anything when I type in stability ball. Any help would be appreciated.:happy:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I imagine you have to figure out the calculations for yourself. I'm not all that keen on the calories generated by other MFP members anyway, it's not anywhere near accurate for different body types, men vs women, people in better shape...etc. so using the same calorie calculations as someone else is only slightly more accurate then an educated guess at best. I have always felt this way, which was why I have always used the gym machine numbers (at first) then my HRM when I realized that even the gym machines were only using a very generic formula (which was telling me I was burning WAAAAYY more calories then I actually was).
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I wear my heart rate monitor and go to exercise classes at my gym. I do classes like step'n'strengthen, step interval, cardio kickboxing, etc.

In Step'n'Strengthen we'll do 45 minutes of cardio then do weights and core exercises immediately after. I stop my heart rate monitor when I'm done with my entire workout and don't bother entering crunches, obliques, etc. into MFP. I just account it all under cardio.

I would recommend getting a heart rate monitor then creating a category such as "cardio+core" or "cardio and weights" and just calculate everything under cardio. Then add information into the notes section if needed such as "used stability ball today" or "did 20 hammer curls" etc.

Good Luck!
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    HRM is definitely where its at. I agree with banks, that most estimations are waaaay off. HRM is the only way to truly tell what your body is doing. the kind with the chest strap is best for me.

i sit an a ball all day long at the office. ive often wondered if burned extra calories per day because of that, but id have to do a control day or two in a chair, and then a few test days on the ball, and to tell you the truth, i dont want to go back to my chair even for a day to get the control number!