Tortilla Recipe - are 48 cals pp correct?

Genie30
Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
edited September 22 in Recipes
Hi Guys,

I found this torilla recipe online:

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/1864/flour-tortilla-wraps.aspx

the recipe says it makes 60 and when I run it through the MFP recipe checker it says they're 48 calories each! Seems very low to me, so I thought I'd check with you guys to make sure I'm not missing something!

Thanks

Genie

Replies

• ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    A lot of the entries are entered in by MFP members and are not always correct. Google the item and try and find the actual maker's nutritional values.
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Hm..I'm not sure. I buy generic wal-mart ones(small) and they are 70cal each. So it is possible that homemade ones are less :)
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Is that recipe really as easy to make as it seems?

Ingredients

800g (1 3/4 lb) plain flour
    2 tablespoons butter
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    350ml (12 fl oz) boiling water

Preparation method
    1. Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Rub in butter to resemble texture of polenta. Add water slowly, mixing with your hands to make a soft dough. You may not need all the water.

2. Knead a few minutes on floured surface until smooth and elastic. Lubricate top with oil, put back in bowl and let rest, covered for 10 minutes.

3. Divide into small balls the size of golf balls and proceed to roll out into size and thickness you prefer.

4. Cook in dry heavy frying pan until top is slightly bubbly then turning on opposite side for a minute or two. Keep stacked and warm inside a clean tea towel.

Seems very easy, too easy! :laugh: I eat tortillas allllllllll the time, and would prefer to make them rather than buy them.
  • I'd suggest checking the recipe on another site (should be one that allows you calculate calorie content) and compare that to what MFP says.
  • toots99
    *double post*
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    go to sparkspeople.com. they have a section where you can enter in ingredients and how many servings it makes and it will calculate the calories ;)
  • You can enter a recipe on here as well to see how many calories per serving.

Under Food --> Recipes --> Add New Recipe

I got about 52 calories each on there. Probably depends on which ingrediants you choose. I used bleached white flour.

I am just curious if this recipe REALLY makes that many servings...
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Doesn't seem too off from my rough check.

800g flour from About.com comes to (30g = 110cals...800/30 * 110 = 2933cals)
    2T butter = 200 cals
    Roughly 3200 cals if 60 servings... that's like 52cals.

But that depends also on how you really make them and if you truly make 60 of them
  • toots99
    Doesn't seem too off from my rough check.

800g flour from About.com comes to (30g = 110cals...800/30 * 110 = 2933cals)
    2T butter = 200 cals
    Roughly 3200 cals if 60 servings... that's like 52cals.

But that depends also on how you really make them and if you truly make 60 of them

Holy crap, that'd make 60 of them?! I don't need 60 tortillas! :laugh: :laugh:
  • Genie30
    Brilliant, thanks guys!

Toots and TropicalKitty - I've not tried to make them yet but when I do i will let you know if they are indeed that easy and if you can make 60! I was planning on halving or even quatering the amounts as 60 seems like quite a lot of tortillas and theres only 2 of us in our house!

Cheers for the speedy responses :-D
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    I checked it myself, and it seems right. It all depends on how many servings you make, though. Like TropicalKitty said, if you make 60 tortillas, it's about 46 calories each. If you make larger/thicker tortillas where there's only enough batter for 30, it's be around 93 calories each. Either way this recipe seems better than some of the store-bought tortillas I've seen. I might try making them sometime, so thanks for the recipe! For now I'll stick to walmart's fat-free ones which are 89 calories each.
  • mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    bump**
  • virginiagomes
    virginiagomes Posts: 110 Member
    Bump
  • Genie30
    I tried this out today and wasn't hugely impressed. I only wanted 8 so I used 1/8th of the measurements and got 5 very small, thin tortillias. I would say the full recipe would make 40 at the most for a decent size wrap.

Admittadly this was my first time ever making tortillas so I'm not sure if the technique comes with practice!
  • toots99
    I tried this out today and wasn't hugely impressed. I only wanted 8 so I used 1/8th of the measurements and got 5 very small, thin tortillias. I would say the full recipe would make 40 at the most for a decent size wrap.

Admittadly this was my first time ever making tortillas so I'm not sure if the technique comes with practice!

Do you think these would freeze well?
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member

I kind of expected that from the recipe on the page you gave. It said it should make 60, which made me think they were going to be pretty small ones.

Then again, we are pretty used to things being huge now. So maybe the small ones are the appropriate size one should consume...but that's a different topic. haha
This discussion has been closed.