If at first you don't succeed........

Options
Hi everyone!

I'm new to MFP but definitely not new to the dieting game. I've done everything from Weight Watchers to pills, to Nutrisystem. Nothing seems to stick. I admit that I'm the first to give up when things get too stressful.

But in this new year I'm determined to make this work. I have a 1 year old daughter who needs me. I refuse to be the "fat" mom on the playground who can't play with her kid because she's too winded.

I also want to set a good example. My mom had problems with her weight, as did my grandma, etc. I want to be different.

So even though I've tried to diet before, here we go again. Only this time I won't look at it as a diet but as a lifestyle change.

I know I'm going to need lots of motivation and I really hope I can find some friends out there who will be a source of inspiration to me and hopefully I can do the same for them.

My husband is 100% not supportive, so I'll need all the help I can get!

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I see you've figured out that all the dieting tricks out there won't help unless you make it a true lifestyle change. Eat healthy food, drink enough water, get some exercise and you'll be making progress in no time.

It's unfortunate that your husband is not supportive - I personally would have serious trouble being in a relationship with someone who did not support my efforts to improve my health for the long-term. He may be afraid that you'll get skinny and leave him or that you're personality's going to change or if he's overweight himeself, that your weight loss efforts will make him face reality about himself. Whatever the reason is, you're going to have to be VERY determined to make these changes for yourself and not let an unsupportive husband get in the way. Hopefully over time when he sees your success, he will be motivated to make any changes he needs to make in his own life and become more supportive.
  • josephbales
    Options
    I wish you well on your weight loss journey. Just remember that weight loss is as simple as eating fewer calories than you burn. That doesn't mean starving yourself, it means eating a little less and doing a little more. This site is great for tracking calories, so it is a big help to me. Another thing that helps is finding a workout that you enjoy. I tried lots of stuff before I stumbled on the one I like, running. If you don't like your workout, give it a couple of weeks and see if you grow to like it. If not, try something else. Biggest thing is to make sure it's not boring to you. You won't look forward to it if it is boring.
  • domlessome
    Options
    You've definitely come to the right place. I only joined a week ago and the support I've already received is phenomenal. Glad you made the decision to visit and sign up with MFP, you won't regret it!

Good luck with your journey :)
  • nanatorylee
    Options
    I know you can make the lifestyle change. Support is very important in the journey and you have come to the right place for that. Add me as friend if you'd like and maybe we can motivate each other.
  • amyjo519
    amyjo519 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    THis is a great site! I'm sure you'll find success here!! Sounds like we have some stuff in common. I have a soon-to-be 1yr old boy and a...lets just say challenging...hubby! So I'm sending you a friend request! Good luck on your journey!! :bigsmile:
  • mrswoodchip
    Options
    I do so understand the unsupportive husband scenario. Mine has seen it all so often before that he just shrugged and said 'we'll see' this time.
    I know I'm gonna do it this time.
    C x
  • ancook02
    ancook02 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you all so much for the replies. I didn't expect to get so many. Lol.

I may have portrayed my husband unfairly. It isn't that he's unsupportive on purpose. I just don't think he realizes that the things he does aren't helping.

He'll bring me home junk food as a reward for losing 5lbs. His heart is in the right place. But he's clueless. He's also super fit. Which I don't understand considering he'll each taco bell and drink tons of mountain dew every day! Lol.

But, I'm determined, so, no more junk food rewards for me.

Thanks again for all the responses. I hope to chat with everyone more and hope to see everyone losing some weight!!