Step Class with bad knee

Options
Hi
I have a bad (painful) knee joint due to arthritis and also a steel pin in one big toe because of an operation to halt bone curvature. I decided I had to do something about my weight/fitness and so about 5 months ago started to diet - have lost about 36lbs - and 4 weeks ago introduced exercise into my routine. Because of my knee/toe I've been doing mainly aquafit classes (3-4 per week).

Though I know it's better to do the aquafit than nothing, I don't feel out of breath or heart rate particularly raised by the end of these classes, so I'm looking for other cardio classes. I introduced Zumba last week and have coped with this (re knee/toe though they're both slightly painful) and was wondering if Step classes would aggravate my knee? I've never done Step classes, but tried spinning and this was just too painful.

I'm initially trying to get a cardio workout as I want to improve my fitness. I've joined a gym which has classes, gym equipment and a pool. I've never used gym equipment - ever! - and am a bit shy about just going and using the machines as I just wouldn't know what to do.

Has anyone got any other suggestions? I'd be very grateful for any ideas at all.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If riding a bike is too painful why would you even consider a step class? Swim or run in water or something. You don't need to perform super vigorous exercise to lose weight if you have your calories in check.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I think out of all the classes, step would be one of the worst for a bad knee. I have torn cartilage in my knee and I wouldn't dream of doing a step class, and I run, do taekwondo, walk and swim.

Talk to the people at the gym, ask them which classes they recommend for a bad knee. But yeah, stay the heck away from step.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Swim harder and more laps. Not aquafit, swim. IMO, swimming the best full-body cardio workout ever and you are fortunate to have access to a pool. If do not know how, now is the best time to learn.
  • Milverton99
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.