HRM calories

Options
I recently started using the Nike+ HRM for my ipod. I used it today during my spin class and it said I burned 833 calories in 50 minutes with and average HR of 164. My weight was 3lbs off on my ipod but when I googled it online it still said around 750 calories burned. MFP says for 50 minutes of spinning 450 calories. I know MFP isn't the most accurate but does my HRM sound fairly correct?
Thanks for the help.

Replies

• Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    When I spin I burn right around 500 calories in 40 minutes...I would go with the lower number just to be safe!! :)
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    Just based on my own HRM and personal settings, I'd guess somewhere in between is more 'right'. I do a LOT of spinning and push pretty hard. Depending on the class/instructor/day my Polar is usually 600-700 for a 45-50 min class. Hope that helps!
  • SafariLara
    Options
    I don't really know the answer to your question, but I'm pretty sure my HRM is UNDER generous. For example I do hardecore kickboxing wearing it and for an hour it usually says only like...400 calories. There is no way. But at the same time if I just log it on MFP it tells me i burned like 1000 calories! So, I'm wondering how to get an accurate count too...
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    It depends a lot on your weight. I can do the exact same workout, step for step, next to my boyfriend who weighs about 50 pounds more than me and he'll almost double the calorie burn. My HRM is usually quite a bit higher than what MFP says as well, but I nearly ALWAYS eat back all my exercise calories (hey, I like food!) and still lose. I'd say go with your HRM but underestimate it a bit. For example, I turn off the HRM after I'm done running, even though I still do another 10-15 minute walking cool-down and I always round down the calories to the nearest 100. I think it's a lot of guess work, so better to overcompensate!
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    I don't really know the answer to your question, but I'm pretty sure my HRM is UNDER generous. For example I do hardecore kickboxing wearing it and for an hour it usually says only like...400 calories. There is no way. But at the same time if I just log it on MFP it tells me i burned like 1000 calories! So, I'm wondering how to get an accurate count too...

I agree - sounds very "under". After spinning class my next favorite is a really tough kickboxing class with a certain instructor. My HRM consistantly says 800+/- cal's in 50 min's (which is about 1000/hr). That is an all-out, max effort, butt-kicking class. Maybe that will help steer ya
  • k1979k
    k1979k Posts: 94
    Options
    I only log 75% of what my HRM says, to cover over-estimation of exercise and under-estimation of food. This method also doesn't count calories that I would have burned anyway, even if I was sitting around doing nothing (I got the idea off another MFP post,, and it works for me).