21 Day Sugar Detox

Options

Replies

• tehmurphygrace
    Options
    My advice is to not try to do this "cold turkey" unless that is something that works for you in other areas of life.

For me personally trying to eliminate something 100% is too hard and I fail and feel like crap about myself later.

I think its great to set a goal to reduce sugar intake! Its a weakness for me. My advice though would be to make the change something that would be manageable for a lifetime change. Why not focus on eliminate all processed/refined sugars that you know are triggers for you? Most fruits and veggies have sugar in them (a different kind) that is good for you and perfectly healthy in moderation.

Maybe set a goal to reduce processed sugar intake by x number of calories per month? or per week? Replace those calories with healthy whole foods (protein, healthy fats and whole grain carbs) that will keep you full and prevent cravings. Seems more manageable and something you'll feel good about doing as a lifestyle. :)

Thanks!

Yes, I should have specified processed sugars (although I found it apparent in my own mind). I also tried to cut out processed sugars cold turkey a few times and it did not work for me AT ALL. I have no intent to stop eating fruits or vegetables containing sugar because they also have vital nutrients and vitamins to help the body function. I also know the 21-Day sugar detox is based off of Paleo principles, but I do NOT intend to cut out grains like oats, brown rice, quinoa, etc.

I like the idea of setting a goal per month or week and to possibly work down from there. That is definitely something to think about. Thanks again!

Peace :)
  • tehmurphygrace
    Options
    I haven't heard of a sugar detox for treating ED, but I hear there are some little blue pills that work wonders.

LOL. ;)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I struggled with binge eating for many years (okay, I still struggle with it but things are significantly better). By far the absolute worse thing you can do for binge eating is severe restriction. Cutting out sugar completely is a sure way to start into a binge cycle. Moderation is a far more effective tool for binge eating than restriction and "detox".
  • tehmurphygrace
    Options
    I struggled with binge eating for many years (okay, I still struggle with it but things are significantly better). By far the absolute worse thing you can do for binge eating is severe restriction. Cutting out sugar completely is a sure way to start into a binge cycle. Moderation is a far more effective tool for binge eating than restriction and "detox".

Thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your struggles. I am glad you are doing better though. I forgot to specify processed sugars, not natural sugars from fruit and natural sweeteners and the like. But your advice is very appreciated. I know everyone's is different and different stresses and triggers arise depending on one's exact situation. Although, I don't think cutting out sugar is a SURE way to start into a binge cycle. Again, it depends on the exact situation.

Thanks again though and I wish you the best of luck!

• WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Actually, provided your organs are functioning the way they should, it doesn't matter the specific situation- detoxes are bogus psuedoscience. You no more "detox" from sugar than you would from carrots.
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the answers to your post, but I really relate to your struggles. I have been working on recovery from bulimia/binge eating disorder, for years now. I know that many people will tell you not to try and restrict food groups or go on a structured plan, and I do agree with that, but I can also understand why it feels like it would be best to avoid sugar and grains. It's natural that you feel that way, given the fact that it has probably been a trigger/binge food for you in the past. I have mixed feelings about the program you are suggesting. I adore Diane Sanfilippo, and I love her philosophy of eating REAL food (non-processed), but I don't love the 21 day detox or Whole30, because I think it forces you to obsess about your eating, and it reinforces black and white thinking. You're either ON the diet, or OFF the diet. No middle ground... I think of recovery, as learning to live in a gray area. I also think these plans force you to be a hermit for 3 weeks, because you have so many food limitations. I do think it's worthwhile, to avoid processed foods. I know we are all different, and many disagree on that, but I try to live by the 80/20 rule. 80% of the foods I eat, fall within the "Real/Clean foods" category (essentially, simple, non-processed foods), while the other 20% are a little looser. I'm, not suggesting you do what I do, but I would encourage you to explore the idea of balance, and working on ridding yourself of the need for control/structure/black/white thinking, when it comes to eating.

I also don't think you need to buy the "package," to do this plan, if you choose to do it (which I think is prob not the best idea). Take "Practical Paleo" out of the library. It has all the 21 Day Detox info in it, as well as some great "real food" recipes.

Best of luck to you!
  • tehmurphygrace
    Options
    I haven't read all the answers to your post, but I really relate to your struggles. I have been working on recovery from bulimia/binge eating disorder, for years now. I know that many people will tell you not to try and restrict food groups or go on a structured plan, and I do agree with that, but I can also understand why it feels like it would be best to avoid sugar and grains. It's natural that you feel that way, given the fact that it has probably been a trigger/binge food for you in the past. I have mixed feelings about the program you are suggesting. I adore Diane Sanfilippo, and I love her philosophy of eating REAL food (non-processed), but I don't love the 21 day detox or Whole30, because I think it forces you to obsess about your eating, and it reinforces black and white thinking. You're either ON the diet, or OFF the diet. No middle ground... I think of recovery, as learning to live in a gray area. I also think these plans force you to be a hermit for 3 weeks, because you have so many food limitations. I do think it's worthwhile, to avoid processed foods. I know we are all different, and many disagree on that, but I try to live by the 80/20 rule. 80% of the foods I eat, fall within the "Real/Clean foods" category (essentially, simple, non-processed foods), while the other 20% are a little looser. I'm, not suggesting you do what I do, but I would encourage you to explore the idea of balance, and working on ridding yourself of the need for control/structure/black/white thinking, when it comes to eating.

I also don't think you need to buy the "package," to do this plan, if you choose to do it (which I think is prob not the best idea). Take "Practical Paleo" out of the library. It has all the 21 Day Detox info in it, as well as some great "real food" recipes.

Best of luck to you!

Thank you.

You response is the most honest and thought out response I could have imagined getting. Plus, you answered all of my questions. :)

Yes, I do not plan on eliminating whole or ancient grains from my diet (mainly because I cannot live without quinoa) nor can will I stop eating fruit or natural sweeteners like honey, etc. because they have important nutrients and vitamins that help the body (any body) function properly. And thank you for the review on the 21 day sugar detox. It does seem a little intense and obsessive, which is why I had asked about it, as I think any person with a "normal" diet/circumstances would. And I love food too much to be a hermit, I think. I did go to culinary school, have a degree in Sociology and I have worked in the food and beverage industry for the past nine years, so my understanding of food being as much of a social experience as a physical one is very deep and core to my being.

I like the 80/20 rule though. That is not something that I had heard of and it actually seems like a very balanced way to think about food. The only reason why I am looking into a Sugar "Detox" is because my Psychiatrist and Psychologists suggested it. And yes, unfortunately processed foods and sugars are a trigger food for me, but a trigger food for a lot of people who again consider their dieting, "Normal." And when I say "normal" I mean, not struggling with outlying health issues that affect their day-to-day diet in any way. And that I am taking from personal experience sharing eating habits with friends and licensed professionals.

But I definitely think I will check Practical Paleo out of the library! Thanks so much!

• tehmurphygrace
    Options
    Actually, provided your organs are functioning the way they should, it doesn't matter the specific situation- detoxes are bogus psuedoscience. You no more "detox" from sugar than you would from carrots.

Thanks for your opinion,

Although Neurological studies have shown processed sugars having similar effects on brain chemistry as drugs like cocaine and heroin. And I believe that detoxing is the process of reducing one's chemical reliance on substances like drugs or alcohol. So yes, some detoxes are pseudoscience based on the idea that if you rid your need for one thing, you can rid your need for anything. Still, the actual practice for some substances is sound.

Besides, who would want to stop eating carrots? ;)

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

Thanks for your opinion,

Although Neurological studies have shown processed sugars having similar effects on brain chemistry as drugs like cocaine and heroin. And I believe that detoxing is the process of reducing one's chemical reliance on substances like drugs or alcohol. So yes, some detoxes are pseudoscience based on the idea that if you rid your need for one thing, you can rid your need for anything. Still, the actual practice for some substances is sound.

Whoever doesn't like them...perhaps?

I ask the same question to you about "quitting sugar". I have no problem admitting that my success is dependent on my ability to adhere to whatever plan I put in place and that nothing is inherently wrong with any food. I do think if you have overeating issues with certain foods, there should be a limit to availability of it but to completely abstain from it perhaps is a miss. Only time will tell. Good luck to you. I've made peace with the fact that I like ice cream, cake, and donuts and none of those things are bad for me, so as long as I practice their consumption in moderation and with a balanced diet. It's made this much less miserable and sustainable. But everyone is different. Those trying to steer you away from completely getting rid of a food on the basis of control issues understand that this has to be about forever. If you can find lasting success never letting another drop of processed sugar touch you lips, more power to you but for most of us, that isn't a realistic goal and not doing so doesn't make us any less healthy than someone who does.
  • usmcmp
    Options

Thanks for your opinion,

Neurological studies have also shown that processed sugar has the same effect on brain chemistry as petting puppies and having sex. It's not a chemical dependency. They stimulate the pleasure center of the brain. If you wanted to actually detox from sugar you'd have to quit all carbs.
  • tehmurphygrace
    Options

Thanks for your opinion,

Neurological studies have also shown that processed sugar has the same effect on brain chemistry as petting puppies and having sex. It's not a chemical dependency. They stimulate the pleasure center of the brain. If you wanted to actually detox from sugar you'd have to quit all carbs.

Simple, i.e.- processed carbohydrates have a different chemical structure than complex, i.e.- whole grain carbohydrates. So no, one would not have to eliminate ALL carbohydrates. And yes, actually, studies have been done showing that processed sugars can cause a chemical dependency, not just ignite the pleasure centers of the brain.
  • usmcmp
    Options

Thanks for your opinion,

Simple, i.e.- processed carbohydrates have a different chemical structure than complex, i.e.- whole grain carbohydrates. So no, one would not have to eliminate ALL carbohydrates. And yes, actually, studies have been done showing that processed sugars can cause a chemical dependency, not just ignite the pleasure centers of the brain.

Which study? I'd like to read it. Not just the abstract or a news article talking about it. I would like to see the actual study.
  • tehmurphygrace
    Options

Thanks for your opinion,

Whoever doesn't like them...perhaps?

I ask the same question to you about "quitting sugar". I have no problem admitting that my success is dependent on my ability to adhere to whatever plan I put in place and that nothing is inherently wrong with any food. I do think if you have overeating issues with certain foods, there should be a limit to availability of it but to completely abstain from it perhaps is a miss. Only time will tell. Good luck to you. I've made peace with the fact that I like ice cream, cake, and donuts and none of those things are bad for me, so as long as I practice their consumption in moderation and with a balanced diet. It's made this much less miserable and sustainable. But everyone is different. Those trying to steer you away from completely getting rid of a food on the basis of control issues understand that this has to be about forever. If you can find lasting success never letting another drop of processed sugar touch you lips, more power to you but for most of us, that isn't a realistic goal and not doing so doesn't make us any less healthy than someone who does.

Thanks,

I'm not saying any foods are bad. I hate when that word is attributed to food. I did go to Culinary School and I have been working in food service for the past nine years. Yes, I have a very wonky relationship with food. You are right though, everyone is different. And considering that my PSYCHIATRIST is the one who suggested this to me, and I don't think she would have if she did not think it was possible, I think that it is not a misled obsessive thought. I have my hesitations, as I think everybody would, which is why I am asking whether or not any one has advice or if anyone has used a similar program.

I am glad you can eat sweets though. And I do not think you are unhealthy for doing so. In fact, I think it shows that your body is properly able to process those sugars and the responses to it in a healthy way. Something that I cannot do right now.

Thank you for your concern, advice, and sharing your experience.

• tehmurphygrace
    Options
    Which study? I'd like to read it. Not just the abstract or a news article talking about it. I would like to see the actual study.

Unfortunately, yes, all I do have in abstracts from textbooks, which I do not have access to because all of my things are in storage in Chicago and I am currently in Miami until further notice. And yes, this may seem like a cop-out or me not knowing what I am talking about, but frankly, I don't care.

My experiences with my eating disorder and addictive disorder are not yours, and every psychiatrist, psychologist, and physician have different ways of treating disorders. I think the fact that I am getting help and making sure that it is also healthily monitored is what is important here. I am not some shmuck who thinks she knows better than everyone else. I am a girl asking for advice because I have hesitations because yes, my psychiatrist suggested this to me, and this is a group of peers with similar interests that I for some reason trust.

Besides, exercise bulimia is also a serious condition which is why I had hesitations joining MFP again in the first place because when this all started that was also an issue that I struggled with. Exercising six hours a day to make sure I lost enough weight. So is rejoining MFP and trying to focus on being more active misguided or amiss?

So like I keep saying, everyone is different, and everyone has different body chemistry. And when I am able to get back to my textbooks in storage I will share it with you, if I still care by then.

And for the record, I am on a hiatus from school in studying Food Science and Nutrition. I also went to Culinary School, have a degree in Sociology, and have been working in food service for the past nine years, and probably understand better than a lot of people how great and versatile of a role that food plays in our lives. As well as yes, the dangers of restricting, and the dangers of "dieting." But I don't considering this "dieting" or restricting. I consider this making a life change that I have needed for six years because I regret my decisions regarding my eating disorder and most of all regret nearly killing myself not even five months ago over them.

I am so glad that you can eat sugar, really, I do not consider it unhealthy because it means that your body is processing it properly and having balanced reactions to it. That is healthy. Not unhealthy. Not bad. It is a product of evolution. Congratulations. Freud and Darwin would be so proud.
  • tehmurphygrace
    Options
    And do I think this will last forever?

Who knows?

But it's worth a shot. Just like anything is.
  • usmcmp
    Options

Unfortunately, yes, all I do have in abstracts from textbooks, which I do not have access to because all of my things are in storage in Chicago and I am currently in Miami until further notice. And yes, this may seem like a cop-out or me not knowing what I am talking about, but frankly, I don't care.

My experiences with my eating disorder and addictive disorder are not yours, and every psychiatrist, psychologist, and physician have different ways of treating disorders. I think the fact that I am getting help and making sure that it is also healthily monitored is what is important here. I am not some shmuck who thinks she knows better than everyone else. I am a girl asking for advice because I have hesitations because yes, my psychiatrist suggested this to me, and this is a group of peers with similar interests that I for some reason trust.

Besides, exercise bulimia is also a serious condition which is why I had hesitations joining MFP again in the first place because when this all started that was also an issue that I struggled with. Exercising six hours a day to make sure I lost enough weight. So is rejoining MFP and trying to focus on being more active misguided or amiss?

So like I keep saying, everyone is different, and everyone has different body chemistry. And when I am able to get back to my textbooks in storage I will share it with you, if I still care by then.

And for the record, I am on a hiatus from school in studying Food Science and Nutrition. I also went to Culinary School, have a degree in Sociology, and have been working in food service for the past nine years, and probably understand better than a lot of people how great and versatile of a role that food plays in our lives. As well as yes, the dangers of restricting, and the dangers of "dieting." But I don't considering this "dieting" or restricting. I consider this making a life change that I have needed for six years because I regret my decisions regarding my eating disorder and most of all regret nearly killing myself not even five months ago over them.

I am so glad that you can eat sugar, really, I do not consider it unhealthy because it means that your body is processing it properly and having balanced reactions to it. That is healthy. Not unhealthy. Not bad. It is a product of evolution. Congratulations. Freud and Darwin would be so proud.

I think you should learn a little about me before jumping to conclusions about my relationship with food.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/usmcmp/view/when-1-becomes-10-684689

You can call it detoxing all you want, but don't lie to yourself thinking that it isn't another diet or restricting. You are choosing avoidance over learning to deal with it in a healthy way. I've been in your shoes and have followed that path.
  • tehmurphygrace
    Options

I think you should learn a little about me before jumping to conclusions about my relationship with food.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/usmcmp/view/when-1-becomes-10-684689

You can call it detoxing all you want, but don't lie to yourself thinking that it isn't another diet or restricting. You are choosing avoidance over learning to deal with it in a healthy way. I've been in your shoes and have followed that path.

Here is an article. Not one that I have read, but it is a study reflecting what I said.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/

And aren't you jumping to conclusions about my relationship with food?

And thank you for insulting all the good work I have done in recovery the past five months. Real classy.
  • tehmurphygrace
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your post though.

I know exactly how it feels. i relate to the comfort of a full stomach and I know what it feels like to beat yourself up after a binge day.

I have stopped beating myself up after binge/purge days. I have stopped beating myself after bingeing without having to purge, period. And I do not intend for food to control me. Nothing is permanent. And that's a basic principle of life.

But just because it's not permanent does not mean it is not worth trying.

And I was not judging your relationship with food. I was merely highlighting my experience with it and I am sorry if you took offense to that.
  • tehmurphygrace
    Options
    Here is an article. Not one that I have read, but it is a study reflecting what I said.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/

And aren't you jumping to conclusions about my relationship with food?

And thank you for insulting all the good work I have done in recovery the past five months. Real classy.

I should say not one that I had read before now.
  • tehmurphygrace
    Options
    We are all different people with all different relationships with food. Our bodies all react differently to food. Our minds all react differently to food. Some people have more extreme reactions than others and people overcome those varying reactions in different ways.

No one is stupid or lying to themselves for trying one thing or the other. No one is wrong or bad. One thing that works for another person may not work for the next. No one is in the exact same mindset and no one has the exact same body.