Restarting lifting program...but cardio???

Options
Hi guys,

I'm relatively experienced with iron both at the gym and at home. But I quit the gym about 4 years ago in favour of taking up running and doing home workouts like P90X. However I'm thinking now is the time to start a strength program and I'm probably going to rejoin a gym. I'm thinking about doing a 5x5 routine.

I cycle to work maybe 3-4 days out of 5. It's 10 miles each way so 20 a day. I really don't want to drop this in favour of my car as its free and often less time (about 35 mins in rush hour). I also do usually one mountain biking session on the trails every 1-2 weeks. I was regularly running but for the moment thats had to take a break due to an Achilles injury.

SO (with that outta the way), my question is providing I get enough rest and nutrition is on top form, do you think that I can continue the cardio that I do while starting a lifting routine, like 5x5.

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Sure, you absolutely can mix cardio and lifting.

Will you achieve the most optimal strength progressions on your lifts? Maybe not. Will you find that your commute take a bit longer since your legs will be a bit tired from lifting? Probably.

5x5 might not be the best program for it though, as it will have you squatting 3 times a week. I ran 5x5 until I started training for half marathons, and then moved to 5/3/1 so that I'd only squat once a week. Much better.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I'd have to agree that 5x5 on top of that much biking would be a bit much on the legs.

5/3/1 is a simple program to follow with a 4x/week routine which will allow for accessories that can translate over to biking.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't see why you couldn't. After all, you're used to the biking, so it's not adding any additional stress.

However, be prepared for jelly-legs after leg day, and accept that you may need to take the car occasionally because of this.

Not an expert, of course ...
  • JTick
    Options
    I'd have to agree that 5x5 on top of that much biking would be a bit much on the legs.

5/3/1 is a simple program to follow with a 4x/week routine which will allow for accessories that can translate over to biking.

To piggyback on this: You could also put your squat/leg day on Friday or Saturday with 5/3/1, which would give you the weekend to recover before needing to bike again.
  • dont_tap_my_aces
    dont_tap_my_aces Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    First didn't seem to post... so here goes again:

If you plan to start 5x5 with just the empty bar, you should be fine with your cardio and 5x5.

but keep in mind, as the weight heavier, you will eventually run into issues with your cardio preventing you from full recovery. At that point either adjust so you drop to 3x5, or cut down on cardio.

since it sounds like you can't cut the cardio, when the stall eventually comes i'd drop 3x5, and then when that stall eventually comes switch to something like RPT with only 2 sets for the big compounds. As long as you are going heavy and full intensity 100% on those 2 sets, you will find squatting once a week for only 2 sets can still get you results.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    SO (with that outta the way), my question is providing I get enough rest and nutrition is on top form, do you think that I can continue the cardio that I do while starting a lifting routine, like 5x5.

Why not?

What would prevent you from recovering from that and continuing?
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Cardio along with strength training is Ideal

29509743.png
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys! Haven't heard of 5/3/1 but will look into it. I kinda like the simplicity of 5x5, and the fact that is an app (I like techyness of that, I'm a bit of s geek). The only thing I can honk of being a problem as you guys have said is the legs and the cycling. I could always do a tues/Thursday/Saturday, so wouldn't be cycling on one of the days. Or a Saturday Monday Wednesday?
  • pyrowill
    Options
    Bump. Been thinking a lot about this to the point where I'm actually stressing. How stupid. Really want to give 5x5 a go and continue my cardio. Think I'll just take it easier, maybe a lighter gear on the bike. just pay attention to how my body feels.

EDIT: I am intending to stay on a calorie deficit, perhaps 5x5 isn't for me....
  • JTick
    Options
    Bump. Been thinking a lot about this to the point where I'm actually stressing. How stupid. Really want to give 5x5 a go and continue my cardio. Think I'll just take it easier, maybe a lighter gear on the bike. just pay attention to how my body feels.

EDIT: I am intending to stay on a calorie deficit, perhaps 5x5 isn't for me....

I ran 5x5 while in a deficit. No real problems. Of course, I've never lifted in a surplus, so I don't know how they compare. But I've made progress just fine.

Don't overthink things. Try 5x5. If it's tearing your legs to pieces, then look at a different program.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I do more cardio than you and do a heavy lifting routine 5 days a week. You can absolutely do your plan.
  • pyrowill
    Options
    I've decided to give 5x5 a go. At least until either my cycling suffers or my weight work suffers. But by that time I'll have hopefully built some kind of foundation, at the very least it'll have me going again.

Unfortunately the only drawback is that I imagine probably at least 2/3 of these workouts will have to be in the evening, therefore AFTER a commute to work and back. Worried the workouts are really gonna suffer, anyone have any ideas to help with that?