Birth Control SUggestion...

Options
Jamiebee24
Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
What kind are you on? Weight gain? Side effects? I'm looking to start some BC soon, and would like any input, thanks!! :smile:

Replies

• Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I had the Mirena IUD implant put in about 4 years ago...love it, no side effects, no weight gain (that was all me) and hardly ever have TOM, maybe two or three times a year. Plus I never have to think about it.
  • bhelmreich
    bhelmreich Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I had Implanon put in 4 months ago. Its a small matchstick size rod that is placed in your arm. I love it! I had little side effects, my mood swings are gone, but I did break out a little worse than normal
  • Raina0512
    Raina0512 Posts: 216
    Options
    I used to have Mirena. I had pain during intercourse with it so I had it removed (OUCH!).

I have Implanon now. It's a tiny rod with hormones inside that's 'implanted' in the underneath of your arm just below your armpit. They numb it when then insert it so it's not painful and I never even notice it now... it lasts 3 years. HIGHLY recommended :happy:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Condoms and with-holding until husband gets fixed :laugh:
    Seriously though - been like this 2 years and knock wood, been accident free.
  • Raina0512
    Raina0512 Posts: 216
    Options
    I used to have Mirena. I had pain during intercourse with it so I had it removed (OUCH!).

I have Implanon now. It's a tiny rod with hormones inside that's 'implanted' in the underneath of your arm just below your armpit. They numb it when then insert it so it's not painful and I never even notice it now... it lasts 3 years. HIGHLY recommended :happy:

P.S. I haven't had a period since I've had it put in (2 years ago) :love:
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Condoms and with-holding until husband gets fixed :laugh:
    Seriously though - been like this 2 years and knock wood, been accident free.

that's what we've done for the past 4 years---2 kids later, it doesn't work for us! Time to go on birth control!! :laugh:
  • angiemcgovern
    angiemcgovern Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have Mirena and I love it. I have not experienced any pain or side effects with it, but that could be because I had put in 6 weeks after giving birth. I have heard other women without children say it was painful to get it put in.
  • JLeeAlton
    JLeeAlton Posts: 311
    Options
    I heard the IUD can end up growing into you down there, well not into you but it gets embedded into your tissue... someone at work was randomly talking about it. That scares me.

I am still on the good ole pill. Seasonique... no weight gain.. no side effects.. and your TOM comes 4 times a year.
  • adellepuppy
    Options
    Well I had my FIVE and took a more permanent route getting the tubes tied. But before that I really never left the diaphragm method I started in the beginning. Seems to work fine. (No, don't look back that number five and think it's an antiendorsement. We actually planned them. :smile: ) Diaphragms are less spontaneous for sure. But just know your partner and your rhythms and you can be more proactive then you think.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I'm on NuvaRing and I love it. You use it for 3 weeks, leave it out for a week to have your period, then put a new one in for 3 more weeks. It's good because there aren't many side effects. My periods are shorter & lighter and I feel "normal" as far as hormones. I was a bit more emotional than normal the first couple months while I was getting used to it, but after that, I feel like myself emotionally again.

Sometimes it slips out but as long as you rinse it off & put it back in within 3 hours, you're still protected. I've been on it for a year and we also use the pull out method, and no accidents yet! :happy:
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'm on Ortho Lo. I didn't gain weight, no side effects and my skin is perfect!
  • jgm8land
    Options
    I have been on Seasonale for a few years with no side effects! I love it because you only get your period 4 times a year and that is just enough!
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Depo Provera! It's a shot. Very easy, very confidential and very good for the people who forget to take a pill once a day! You get the shot every three months. Typically, you stop having a period after being on the shot for a while. Everyone's body is different, though, so it may not work out for you that way.

I don't think any of my weight was caused by the shot because I've been overweight for as long as I can remember - and certainly long before I was on Depo! :wink:
  • Flawlessk
    Options
    I'm on the injection. I'm not sure of the exact name.

Been on it for 6 months now. You get the injection at the local health centre every 3 months in the very top of the bum cheek. Switch each time. Didn't hurt at all and i'm a needle-phobe lol.

So far, fantastic. I feel good. No weight change or mood change. No periods either. Twice in this time i've felt a little like pmt...little achey, but only for a day.

This was great for me because i used to be on the pill and my periods were all over the place. Plus i travel every other weekend to my bf and i don't have to worry about forgetting it or taking it on time.

Hope this helps xx
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I'm on Seasonique, which is quite nice overall. I do cramp a lot before my period. Nothing a pinch of ibuprofen doesn't fix though. It's much better than my periods without BC which are extremely heavy and painful. Plus, 4 periods a year is nice.
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    I think I'm going to go on the mini pill here soon, possible the regular pill. I've never had an issue with either.
  • michelle_mareshfuehrer
    Options
    I am on the BC Pill--Yasmin. I didn't gain any weight with it and don't have side effects but it is EXPENSIVE because my insurance doesn't cover much of it. I tried the generic one "Ocella" and had really bad side effects, including blurred vision, lightheadedness/dizziness, and immediately stopped taking it. I'm considering trying out Yaz instead of Yasmin--I hear it is great for women with PCOS, which is what I have. :)
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    This is a pretty personal decision, but I'll shoot. My last two babies (2 1/2 and 6 mo.) we used condoms. I'm not much of a fan of that route. But, I was harder on my nurse midwife. I wanted NO hormones (most contraceptives) or anything that would alter my body's natural chemistry (which cancelled out the copper IUD). My only options were cervical cap (not recommended for women who have already have vaginal deliveries, of which I have had 4), diaphram, and Lea's shield. I could have gotten a script for Lea's Shield which was the best option for me. But, it was a pain to have it shipped to Alaska. So I went with the diaphrahm. It really all depends on what you comfortable with. You should absolutely read up on the side effects of your chosen method yourself. Don't expect the doctors to tell you all the risks. And then decide which risks are acceptable to you.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I have been on Kariva since august and had no gain or problems with it.
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I was on the depo provera for 8 years.

Hassle free. Had it injected every 12 weeks. No TOM, just spotting. Like most BC, it made me a little spottier and gave me mood swings. But I now take Primrose capsules 1000mg a day to curb the mood swings naturally which has helped tremendously.

With many BC methods, it DOES make you crave a lot more. It can make you hungrier. BUT the weight gain is down to YOU.

If you can control your cravings, you won't gain weight.

I gained roughly 15lbs in the 8 years I was on it, which is not a huge amount. My weight fluctuated in that time. But what is apparent with BC methods is definitely the cravings.

I'm now on the progestrogen only pill. Similar side effects to most BC. Reason for going on it. Needed the change.

All BC methods affect people differently. So choose what works for you! :smile: