Best Calorie burn exercise?

Options

Replies

• Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I went there for a year and never lost a pound. I worked out 4-5 times a week there. My girlfriend has been going there for 5 years and GAINED 20 pounds and goes there 5-6 times a week. It is good for people who are really obese or elderly. However, I don't think it is enough for someone who has 30-40 lbs to lose like I do UNLESS you do additional exercise outside of there.
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I realize a 1,000 calories is a lot, but I see people do it all the time on here and I wanted to "shock" my body and hopefully speed up my metabolism. Maybe I just don't know enough to say whats best. Let's start with I want to lose the most calories I can today and get a great intense workout in.
  • CaptainSmedley
    Options
    I use the Precor incline elliptical on the "Inertval" setting with the resistance level set at 8 during the flat period and 10 during the Hill portion. During the flat portion I strive to do 180-190 strides per minute and during the hill portion over 200 strides per minute. This morning in 55 minutes I burned 968 calories.

I have also hit 1100 calories in 60 minutes on the standard elliptical on level 12 running in excess of 10 mph the entire time. I almost died and don't recommend it. Our gym changed the machines and I have not been able to get back there since.

I also started spinning about a month ago. It is quite a workout but the bikes do not provide any calorie feedback.
  • defygravity531
    defygravity531 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Zumba is by far the best calorie burner I've come across. And you don't have to be a dancer by any means to burn SERIOUS calories - nor do you have to be able to do the moves "properly". It takes me forever to break a sweat on the treadmil (I have high-impact issues with my leg) but I'm sweating in minutes with Zumba and there's so much variety.
  • SunLove8
    Options
    I use the Precor incline elliptical on the "Inertval" setting with the resistance level set at 8 during the flat period and 10 during the Hill portion. During the flat portion I strive to do 180-190 strides per minute and during the hill portion over 200 strides per minute. This morning in 55 minutes I burned 968 calories.

I have also hit 1100 calories in 60 minutes on the standard elliptical on level 12 running in excess of 10 mph the entire time. I almost died and don't recommend it. Our gym changed the machines and I have not been able to get back there since.

Thanks for the advice! I need to repair my eplitical for it's missing a bolt, but I'd love to get back on it SOON!
  • michelle_mareshfuehrer
    Options
    I went there for a year and never lost a pound. I worked out 4-5 times a week there. My girlfriend has been going there for 5 years and GAINED 20 pounds and goes there 5-6 times a week. It is good for people who are really obese or elderly. However, I don't think it is enough for someone who has 30-40 lbs to lose like I do UNLESS you do additional exercise outside of there.

I had the SAME experience! Joined curves, went 5 times per week, GAINED 5 lbs...and not of muscle! 30 minutes a day may be better than sitting on the couch, but being limited to 30 minutes per day is not a good motivator and really isn't "intense" enough to get any sort of benefit. I don't mean to discourage anyone from Curves, but I don't recommend it. Not to mention, I had a rough experience trying to cancel my membership with them!
  • SunLove8
    Options

Really? YIKES!!!! I got a free month trial, so I'll see how it goes. I never been there so I have no idea what it's like or what kind of machines they have there.
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    For me, a cardio kickboxing class is the highest burn (800 cal / 45-50 min class on my Polar HRM). On Tues evenings I try to fit in the following classes at my local Y: Strength/Conditioning, Core, Kickboxing. This is 1hr45m (not counting warmup/cooldown) and the HRM is usually 1200-1300 (most from kickboxing). It took my a while to build up to that, and I'm pretty pooped the next day, but its certainly possible for you to get there too. Lastly, my wife (also spelled Aimee) teaches Zumba. She'll do 500-600/hr, but is only 110lb. Hope that helps!
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    For just calorie burn, go for cardio (aerobics while watching your favorite show is a great way to make time fly)
    For sustained metabolic increase, go for strength training (if you can).
    If you want both, do tabata-style interval training. Not sure about the calorie burn, but it'll kick your a** and increase your overall fitness. bodyrock.tv has some great ideas for this. The workouts are usually between 12 and 20 minutes, so you'll have time for cardio afterwards.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    i usually burn between 400-550 cals a workout on the treadmill (yes i know it's boring, but effective). speed of 4.8 or 4.9 (pretty brisk walk) at an incline of 1.5... seems to be doing the trick. try to be consistent too. One 1000 calorie workout and the rest of the days aching from overexertion is much less productive than three 500 calorie workout and that make you actually feel good. plus to add variation once or twice a week i do intervals (run for 1 minute, walk for 2 etc...) it keeps the heart rate up. You sweat like a pig but man.. it works :)
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    i usually burn between 400-550 cals a workout on the treadmill (yes i know it's boring, but effective). speed of 4.8 or 4.9 (pretty brisk walk) at an incline of 1.5... seems to be doing the trick. try to be consistent too. One 1000 calorie workout and the rest of the days aching from overexertion is much less productive than three 500 calorie workout and that make you actually feel good. plus to add variation once or twice a week i do intervals (run for 1 minute, walk for 2 etc...) it keeps the heart rate up. You sweat like a pig but man.. it works :)
  • Candice73
    Candice73 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My fave is Zumba not only a good workout but great fun too, normally go to classes however as there hasnt been any over xmas I have the zumba on kinect and just burnt 143 cals in 20 mins including a cool down and I wasnt really going for it..difficult to move on the carpet!!

Mixing this up with one of my workout dvd's or doing some tabata I am sure I would reach 1000 cals easily!
  • Chgogal1
    Options
    First off it is pretty hard to burn that many calories in a day - unless you are on the Biggest Loser and exercise 6-8 hours a day. Secondly, I think those people who are posting that they burn 1000 calories in a workout are way overestimating. You can't rely on the machines at the health club as giving you an accurate number of calories you burn, as they are way off.

If you want to know your real calorie burn, you need to get yourself a good heart rate monitor - one with a chest strap. You can get a polar heart rate monitor for about $125.

Good luck.
  • tuduis
    tuduis Posts: 67
    Options
    Rowing Machine <--- One of the most overlooked pieces of equipment in my book. Utilizes your entire body and can become quite fun once you find your rhythm. (I'd recommend music though, as it can get somewhat repetitive)
  • mschelle
    mschelle Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    According to my HRM:

I burn 10-11 calories per minute doing kickboxing type workouts.
    Wii Fit boxing does about 6/minute for me.
    Wii FIt hula hoop does about 5/minute.
    Jillian michaels/Biggest Loser videos do 6-9/minute for me, depending on my effort.
    P90x varies depending on the workout but ranges 6/minute (weights) to 12/minute (Plyometrics)
    Ellipticals range 6-10/minute depending on my effort.

Like others have said, 1000 is VERY ambitious and could actually backfire - leaving you ravenously hungry, sick, or dizzy. It's also not a sustainable goal.
  • seanvettoor
    Options
    Lunges are definately the best calorie burn excercise because the use the biggest muscle in your body.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    Rowing Machine <--- One of the most overlooked pieces of equipment in my book. Utilizes your entire body and can become quite fun once you find your rhythm. (I'd recommend music though, as it can get somewhat repetitive)

hey. good call. I have a rowing machine attachment for my bowflex. I totally forgot about it to be perfectly honest. My pudgey butt thanks you for reminding me. :blushing:

I've never burned 1000 exercise cals in a day. Today I worked out for 90 mins. Bowflex, free weights, elliptical and then running. I wore a heart rate monitor and managed to burn 571 cals. If you can find the secret to a 1000 burn (in 90 mins or less) please message me!
  • SunLove8
    Options
    GREAT ideas and advice! Rowing, Zumba, and kickboxing all sound so much fun! I think it's time to look outside the box. I have gotten caught up on the calories I see being burned and I've been feeling like 300-400 is nothing when I see a 1,000 calorie burn. I suppose it isn't something I should always aim for, however I'm sure if I skied for 3 hours or hiked it would be easy to burn that without killing over :)
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    First off it is pretty hard to burn that many calories in a day - unless you are on the Biggest Loser and exercise 6-8 hours a day. Secondly, I think those people who are posting that they burn 1000 calories in a workout are way overestimating. You can't rely on the machines at the health club as giving you an accurate number of calories you burn, as they are way off.

If you want to know your real calorie burn, you need to get yourself a good heart rate monitor - one with a chest strap. You can get a polar heart rate monitor for about $125.

Good luck.

For what its worth, my previous post about exceeding 1000 IS straight from my (nearly new) Polar FT40, w/ chest strap. I only do that much once a week though. The other 4 days I average 500-700 in 60-75 minutes. It's logged weekly on my Polar website account so I can track every workout.
  • SillySarah
    Options

For real.

To the OP: You can do rowing intervals for as little as 15 minutes and get a killer workout. I switch the screen display to Wattage to see how much work I am doing. Here's a pattern to try:

5 min easy pace warm up (75 watts for me)
    5 min interval steps
    - 1 min at 100 watts
    - 1 min at 125 watts
    - 1 min at 150 watts
    - 1 min at 125 watts
    - 1 minute at 100 watts
    5 minute easy pace cool down (75 watts for me again).

Also, burpees are great way to improve strength and burn a bunch of calories. Plus there are ton of different combinations to try so you can keep things interesting.