Do you shift life events to fit around your workout sched?

Options
13»

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Even during competition prep I move my workouts around friends and family. They also know my schedule and are pretty good about trying to not schedule during times I generally workout. It's all about flexibility and communication. I generally try to lift on my lunch hour or I get a sitter for after my kids are in bed (I'm a single mom).
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the circumstances. There are times when I need to get in a workout and have to forego doing other things, but I like to keep a certain amount of flexibility. If it is something that's a good opportunity, I will accept a last-minute invite. I don't feel wedded to set times so much as I do to what I'm actually doing in the gym or at home to stay fit. And then there are certain people in life that I would drop everything else for, even on a minute's notice.

I'm trying to stay fit so I can live a longer, happier life. Happiness for me involves a certain amount of spontaneity.
  • Original_Sinner
    Original_Sinner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    no.

my family understands that my partner and I work out every MTRF and that W and SS are both free for whatever (although we often do some form of cardio those days if we have nothing else planned because.....fun)

If they schedule something on a MTRF such as meeting for drinks or having people over for a visit, they know we will be there when we are done.....no hard feelings they just know that's how it works.

however if it's a family get together, or an important-ish event, birthday of a kid that starts and ends at a specific time, party celebrating a milestone of someones, then we will either cut our workout short, or push it off until we get home. While I like starting my workout as soon as I get home from work it's not really that big a deal in my mind to start it at 9 or 10 in the evening because someone wanted us to be a part of their special moment.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    During the cooler months I follow a strict workout schedule I don't deviate from and I plan my social activities around that. During the warmer months when the local motorcycle organizations are running track days I follow a more loose plan and sort of make things up as I go along so that I'm never dealing with post workout soreness when planning things like track days, aggressive rides with friends, etc... (dealing with DOMS when trying to ride aggressively can lead to crashing).
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I like my workout schedule to be flexible. If it isn't, and I am too strict with it, It will be more difficult to maintain. I put too much pressure on myself for too many years only to fail so I do what I can, when I can and seem to enjoy it a lot more. I still get in 3 days of weigh training and a couple days jogging.
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    If there is something I really want to do bad enough, I will try to get in a 30 minute HIIT routine at home. That way I'm close to the shower and can get ready to go hang out. That's only if I don't have time to switch things around.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I schedule my personal life around my working out but in reality, my job is very social so I like a lot of alone time when I am off and working out fits the bill.