Weight Training before/after food?

Options
Hi!

I am an absolute newbie to fitness. I am following a 4 week beginners program, and I am in Week 1 (today was first day). Week 1 is whole body workouts x 3.

I found myself getting queasy about halfway through my workout, and I want to know if it is normal. I didn't hurl, and I didn't get light headed, but I did only have two eggs, and about 4 oz of coffee with heavy whipping cream 30 min prior to working out.

Is it best to lift before breakfast and then come back and pound the proteins, or eat something before?

It might be worth mentioning that I am in ketosis, so 95% of what I eat is fat/protein (70/25). Any tips for a newbie?

Replies

• kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I think it varies depending on the person. I lift in the evening, after work, and right after dinner.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Agree with kshadows. That said, I do sort of the opposite - I either workout fasted very early in the morning (well, 7am, which is "very early" for a non-morning person like myself) or I workout in the evening around 7-7:30pm and then eat a late dinner afterwards (usually 9-10pm). Experiment to figure out what works for you.
  • djpro1337
    djpro1337 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You really have to be in tune with your body because like the previous people said, it's different for everyone. I lift heavy, so I have to have something on my stomach before I workout. I've worked out without eating before, and I didn't get as much out of my workout. I couldn't lift as much and got fatigued quicker. With that whip cream and your body temperature rising from working out, that could have been the cause of your queasiness.

I'm all for eating before you workout. It gives your body fuel to work hard and last longer. That's for MY body, and like I said, everyone is different.
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I remember when I first started "seriously" training - after a long period of no exercise. I thought I was going to pass out half-way through a 30 minute session. If you are in fact a complete "newbie" in the realm of exercise, this could be the culprit as to why you felt that way.

As far as food, completely your preference. Try out eating a bit more prior - or a bit less. You'll have to find your groove. I have to eat a snack prior to lifting because A) I need the extra sustenance to perform my lifts and B) I'm just hungry after work. I've tried to work out without much food in my system and while I can get through the workout, I feel weaker and therefore not at my ideal performance.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Experiment with different things and find out what makes you feel best while lifting. I have an absolutely terrible workout if I've eating anything beforehand. I usually lift around the middle of the day without having eaten anything since dinner the night before. That's how I lift best.
  • wellz6
    Options
    Really hard to say, just have to do some experimenting. Sometimes you can get nauseated from not enough food in your stomach, and on the other hand you could eat a little more yet still feel nauseated if you were to maybe do squats a little while afterwards. Doing squats after a heavy meal has caused me problems in the pasts. Sometimes you gotta learn the hard way.
  • bradsbaby1996
    bradsbaby1996 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Agree it's different for everyone but just wanted to let ya know that I am keto and I lift then run on an empty stomach except for coffee with whipping cream! Never feel sick during or after..
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I remember when I first started "seriously" training - after a long period of no exercise. I thought I was going to pass out half-way through a 30 minute session. If you are in fact a complete "newbie" in the realm of exercise, this could be the culprit as to why you felt that way.

As far as food, completely your preference. Try out eating a bit more prior - or a bit less. You'll have to find your groove. I have to eat a snack prior to lifting because A) I need the extra sustenance to perform my lifts and B) I'm just hungry after work. I've tried to work out without much food in my system and while I can get through the workout, I feel weaker and therefore not at my ideal performance.

haha....one word can mean everything. I am not new to -Exercise-, I am new to -Weight Lifting-. I know major difference.

I did max myself out, following a 60-80-100 buildup routine most times (60% of max, etc), and I am following some advice to not do cardio before lifting.