Ho-made Bread.

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
Serious post is serious.

I made bread from scratch this weekend and need experienced bread makers advice... It was very dense. I'd like something lighter and airier inside.

What I did was a basic flour, quick rise yeast, hot water, little sugar & oil... herbs & asiago cheese.

It was good, don't get me wrong, but very dense. Took about 6 hours, baked in a cast iron pot, dish of water in bottom of oven. Three separate Knead, Punch, Rise for an hour rounds of fun.

Any good recipes? I'm determined to perfect bread based on my own obnoxious definition of perfection.

Replies

• RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I usually use those ingredients but with traditional yeast. In Hot (but not too hot) water, ad sugar and yeast and wait for the yeast to come alive. Knead well, once it's incorporated I knead ten times, turning dough a quarter of the way, each time. I let it prove for at least TWO hours. I know it has risen enough because when I poke it with my finger the hole stays there. Then I knead and shape into loaves, and let it rise once more for about two hours again. Oven 450 or something ridiculously high for first ten minutes then reduce heat for the rest of the bake. I know it is ready when I can take it out of the oven and knock on it and it sounds hollow. My husband always makes fun of me by asking if I knocked on it, but it's pretty reliable.

And don't stop baking, you may need a few dense loaves before you make it the way you want to.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I usually use those ingredients but with traditional yeast. In Hot (but not too hot) water, ad sugar and yeast and wait for the yeast to come alive. Knead well, add flour and other ingredients, once it's incorporated I knead ten times, turning dough a quarter of the way, each time. I let it prove for at least TWO hours. I know it has risen enough because when I poke it with my finger the hole stays there. Then I knead and shape into loaves, and let it rise once more for about two hours again. Oven 450 or something ridiculously high for first ten minutes then reduce heat for the rest of the bake. I know it is ready when I can take it out of the oven and knock on it and it sounds hollow. My husband always makes fun of me by asking if I knocked on it, but it's pretty reliable.

And don't stop baking, you may need a few dense loaves before you make it the way you want to.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Awesome... I probably did too hot of water. It said 120-130 and I know it was hotter than that. Naughty Odus. Others are totally possible too - too much flour & kneading.

I can try regular yeast too.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    without actually altering your recipe, these things could have been your issue

#1 - I never use quick rise yeast, it doesn't work as well as regular yeast. yes, it takes longer to get your results, but the quality is better

#2 - your water was too hot. if the water is too hot, it kills the yeast and it doesn't work right, making a denser, goopier substance. you want warm water, not hot. if you wouldn't take a bath in it, it's too hot

#3 - too much kneading. if you knead the dough too much you bust up too much of the air bubbles and this makes for a denser bread

#4 - too much flour. if you're putting a LOT of flour into the dough with each knead, it can make the bread denser.

I would start with warm over hot water, and regular yeast. it takes practice and patience. I first made bread when I was about 10 years old, and sometimes I still get it wrong if I'm not paying attention.

I was going to post pretty much this exact list.

I would bet that you're over kneading.

Di you proof your yeast? The water should just feel warm, not hot. Just above room temp with a tiny tiny sprinkle of sugar is my method.

I also love high-gluten bread flour. It's more elastic, and tends to come out fluffier for me.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    yeah you're too kneady \m/
  • phdailey9429
    phdailey9429 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html?_r=0
    Check out this link to a recipe for no-knead bread from the NY Times. I make home-made sourdough bread often, either using this recipe or using my bread machine (I don't want to knead!). Both turn out wonderful results. The NY Times recipe does not call for sourdough starter but I love the sour, so I add it. Good luck!! There's nothing finer or more satisfying than a loaf of homemade bread!
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I don't make bread much but I did for our past thanksgiving dinner.

Here are suggestions my grandma gave me to keep the bread fluffy:

Knead the bread till its super elastic and will stretch to make a thin sheet almost. (stretch the bread dough in all four directions and it should be super thin and elastic) - A good chance for an arm workout. :P
    Use bread flour (different from regular flour and makes it lighter)
    Use less flour (adding too much makes the bread too stiff.)
    Also check the expiration date on the yeast...its important the yeast is fresh and not sitting in the packet for very long.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

I lol'd at this...
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I don't make bread much but I did for our past thanksgiving dinner.

Here are suggestions my grandma gave me to keep the bread fluffy:

Knead the bread till its super elastic and will stretch to make a thin sheet almost. (stretch the bread dough in all four directions and it should be super thin and elastic) - A good chance for an arm workout. :P
    Use bread flour (different from regular flour and makes it lighter)
    Use less flour (adding too much makes the bread too stiff.)
    Also check the expiration date on the yeast...its important the yeast is fresh and not sitting in the packet for very long.

This seems contradictory to the don't knead too much advice? My head explodes easily :)

Yeast is very fresh! Bought new to make sure :)
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I don't make bread, I make baseballs. I can be no help to you, but that advice up there looks pretty good. I might give it another try.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    If I don't have bread flour in the house I add vital wheat gluten to the mix, 1 tablespoon for every cup of regular flour. Helps to get that fluffy texture.
  • Jennifer10723
    Jennifer10723 Posts: 374 Member
    Options

I lol'd at this...

I did too .. lol
  • LookingBusy
    LookingBusy Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Tee hee, so I burst out laughing when I read the title. I think you mean home-made bread, your title suggests that a person of questionable morals made your bread.

...sorry to be a spelling nazi. And yes, I am an immature child laughing at that. Long day at work I guess.

:)
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Tee hee, so I burst out laughing when I read the title. I think you mean home-made bread, your title suggests that a person of questionable morals made your bread.

...sorry to be a spelling nazi. And yes, I am an immature child laughing at that. Long day at work I guess.

Yes yes... But it was intentional, dear :wink: :blushing:
  • ElemenopeeZ
    ElemenopeeZ Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Odus, baby, sugar, honey, lemondrop...too much?

TRUST ME. This recipe is ridiculously easy and requires almost NO work and uses a dutch oven too. You can add whatever you want to it also.

http://www.simplysogood.com/2010/03/crusty-bread.html

Crusty Bread

3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
    1 3/4 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon Instant or Rapid-rise yeast
    1 1/2 cups water

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt and yeast. Add water and mix until a shaggy mixture forms. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for 12 - 18 hours. Overnight works great. Heat oven to 450 degrees. When the oven has reached 450 degrees place a cast iron pot with a lid in the oven and heat the pot for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, pour dough onto a heavily floured surface and shape into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and let set while the pot is heating. Remove hot pot from the oven and drop in the dough. Cover and return to oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes remove the lid and bake an additional 15 minutes. Remove bread from oven and place on a cooling rack to cool.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

Hahaha, I was just trying to find a polite way to say something similar.
    OP, I mean no insult or offense. But I'm also laughing at this title and have been since I first read it. It must be the time of day/month. I'm not normally this immature, but damn if I didn't actually slap my leg at this one and laugh out loud.
  • odusgolp
    Options

I know the OP well, she did this on purpose to attract attention. giggle away freely

hEA8756E0