Protein - lots and lots of it

Options
2»

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    protein needs and intake also depend on your activity level. I intake higher levels of protein on the days when I lift. but of all the things to worry about eating.... and really, all things in moderation. Everything is different for each person. Determine the macro levels that are right for you. Take the time, do the work, and you'll know you're safe.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Just as a word of advice - you can have a liver problem and feel fine.

Liver problems are always serious because they're difficult, if not impossible, to treat.

I have no comment on your diet, but liver problems...they're no joke. And feeling well makes no difference. You can feel well and be dead two weeks later.

Everything you just said is true. However please acknowledge the caveat that there is absolutely no scientific evidence whatsoever that protein consumption. At any level damages the liver. And many, many studies and tests have been done. The fact that high protein is harmless to your body is in fact one of the things most people are quite sure of.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Just as a word of advice - you can have a liver problem and feel fine.

Liver problems are always serious because they're difficult, if not impossible, to treat.

I have no comment on your diet, but liver problems...they're no joke. And feeling well makes no difference. You can feel well and be dead two weeks later.

Everything you just said is true. However please acknowledge the caveat that there is absolutely no scientific evidence whatsoever that protein consumption. At any level damages the liver. And many, many studies and tests have been done. The fact that high protein is harmless to your body is in fact one of the things most people are quite sure of.
    That's not really a caveat, even if it's true.

I'm not an expert nor have I ever seriously studied nutrition/protein intake, so have no advice or opinion on eating excessive amounts of protein.

I was addressing the "feeling fine" comment as it relates to the liver. Feeling fine is not always the same as being disease free, especially where the liver is concerned. But it goes for so many things. People have no idea how often someone gets sick and is dead two weeks later. A lot of it could've been prevented (or at least treated!) if they'd had their yearly physical.

Feeling well is NEVER proof of being disease-free.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I have just about always eaten 200+ grams of protein daily for probably more years you've been alive. I believe sources say around 300g and you would be stressing your liver.

* Edit as you've been alive for 52, I've been eating that for at least 30 years.

** If you're not making a huge jump, I wouldn't be concerned. I also recommend eating plenty of fiber along with plenty of water if you do.
  • milliondays
    milliondays Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't think I ever went above 200. Some people eat a lot less protein to lose weight. When I was on low carb, I tried and was miserable. No carb, no protein, I was left with butter only. Very sad.

So I'm hoping that my kidneys, liver & the rest of my organs continue to cooperate.
  • milliondays
    Options
    Onelast question - if this thread is still somewhat alive.

What would be "too much protein" for someone like me? Female, 52, 5'5'', about 130 (don't weigh myself very often anymore), active?
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I have trouble meeting my protein macros on the calories I'm allowed every day, so congratulations on meeting your goal!
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Onelast question - if this thread is still somewhat alive.

What would be "too much protein" for someone like me? Female, 52, 5'5'', about 130 (don't weigh myself very often anymore), active?

I think it comes into the context of how much protein (and assuming you are not eating so lean a protein all the time that you aren't getting enough fat (Google rabbit starvation)) are you willing to eat within your allotment of daily calories that would have negative effect due to lack of other nutrients and fiber derived from vegetable and fruit?

You are bound to your daily caloric allotment based on your goal of either weight gain, weight loss, or weight maintenance. So to be simplistic, if your goal is weight loss and your daily allotment is 1500 calories and you eat 1600 calories worth of protein (and thus also some assumed fat), then you ate too much protein for your goals.

If you want a general recommendation by someone with a Ph.D. in the matter of protein intake, then Google Eric Helms or Layne Norton.

Good series by Eric on YouTube dealing with calories and macronutrient intake (this is part 2, but I would recommend watching the entire series)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mic4IELz61w&list=PLEIa3RQDplgzlo_o29F9W5DU4rd1icL0P&index=1
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    MFP randomly decided to remove everything I added to this post. And I can't be bothered to retype it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    I have trouble meeting my protein macros on the calories I'm allowed every day, so congratulations on meeting your goal!
    +1
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    my friend's husband was in kidney failure and could not consume any protein. NONE. it was horrible for him. the reason for the kidney issues, though, had nothing to do with his previous intake of protein.

you're fine :smile:
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I don't think I ever went above 200. Some people eat a lot less protein to lose weight. When I was on low carb, I tried and was miserable. No carb, no protein, I was left with butter only. Very sad.

so just out of curiosity, when you say you did a low-carb diet, why couldn't you eat protein?
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    100 grams is not too much. I aim for 135 grams every day. It takes a lot more before you have to worry about health problems.
  • milliondays
    Options
    so just out of curiosity, when you say you did a low-carb diet, why couldn't you eat protein?
    [/quote]

I gained almost 10 pounds on low carb, so I had to play around with the macros. Some people had success with really low protein, so I gave that a try.

I gave everything a try on low carb - except low calorie + low carb. When I figured out that I needed to go the low calorie way (about 1200 calories + exercice points), I lost those 10 pounds.

But I figured - If I'm doing low cal, why in the world would I also limit my carb intake?

Eating 65 grams of protein was an almost impossible task. If I estimate .5 per pound, at about 130 pounds, that would amount to - roughly - 65 grams. I saw a lot of that .5 per pound. Not for me.

I can easily go to 145 grams of protein per day. In my earlier post, I say more than 100 - because I almost never go that low.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I have heard too much protein stresses the kidneys. I'm no doctor, I just follow the what the world health organization says for adequate protein.

I don't have a body builder's physique I'm trying to protect here, I'm a 120 lb lightly active lady.
  • milliondays
    Options
    But isn't it worse to have too much sugar? It's a different problem - if I had to "quit" protein, I would be miserable, but I never binge on protein. I eat it because it makes me feel full and I like it.

On the other hand, I do know that sugar is horrible for me, and yet I still eat it.

So maybe the "too much protein" - if it is a problem, and I'm still debating that - is not comparable to too much sugar, as long as I don't eat, say, 300 grams per day, which I would never do anyway.
  • ScottDowell
    ScottDowell Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If anything is having excess in your body then it would not good for your health. Everything should have in a perfect ratio. So its better to take everything necessary for a body will take in perfect ratio.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    But isn't it worse to have too much sugar? It's a different problem - if I had to "quit" protein, I would be miserable, but I never binge on protein. I eat it because it makes me feel full and I like it.

On the other hand, I do know that sugar is horrible for me, and yet I still eat it.

So maybe the "too much protein" - if it is a problem, and I'm still debating that - is not comparable to too much sugar, as long as I don't eat, say, 300 grams per day, which I would never do anyway.

But you do realize, that excess protein not used by the body gets converted to Glucose and will be used for energy or stored as fat just like carbs and fat. This is why before and foremost, calories rule.