The 3500 calorie rule can't be true?

Options
I've read that it takes an extra 3500 calories beyond your TDEE to gain a pound or 3500 calories less than your TDEE to lose a pound. I'm assuming that's just the mathematical equation and not actually true.

Because a couple days in March I weighed:
3/23 - 104.5
3/24 - 106.5
3/25 - 107
3/26 - 108
3/27 - 108
3/28 - 108.5

And after that point I started sleeping all day and only eating 2 meals so my weight went down. And quickly. Not after I burned off 3500 calories. But I've found when I eat a lot my weight will go up overnight and if I don't eat as much as I normally do, my weight will go down overnight. And it will continue in that direction for as long as I continue that eating pattern. Like I lost 3 pounds in 3 days eating slightly less than normal. I know the 3500 calorie rule can't be true for this to happen. This couldn't have been water weight in March. I would've kept going up had I not started sleeping all day. And another example is there's this man on the biggest loser who lost 38 pounds the first week without even moving his legs cause he was injured. So that means he would have had to burn off 133,000 calories in a week without even moving his legs and there's absolutely no way he did that.

So I'm assuming to gain weight, you just need to eat more than what you're currently eating and keep eating that amount?

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    To gain weight you need to eat consistently more than your body needs.

Another thing, you will be better off to do weekly weigh-ins and track how you trend over time.
    Don't do daily weigh-ins.....they can fluctuate a lot from day to day.

Pick one day a week, where you can create similar variables each time to get a consistent, accurate weight.
    i.e. Monday morning, first thing, no clothes (or in underwear), after bathroom, before water, etc....
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    3500 calories is the energy measurement of 1 lb of fat. It is not a myth or theory - it is a measurement.

Obviously when we gain or lose it's not always fat - it can be fat, water, muscle whatever so the number will not always be 3500 but it'll be close.

What you're experiencing is probably not fat gain or loss but fluctuations in bodyweight caused by all manner of sh!te - high sodium days leading to water retention, water held for repair after exercise etc. or even a sudden loss of water and/or fat.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    It actually is true. You can't ague with science. Well, you can I suppose, but you won't get very far.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    I've read that it takes an extra 3500 calories beyond your TDEE to gain a pound or 3500 calories less than your TDEE to lose a pound. I'm assuming that's just the mathematical equation and not actually true.

Because a couple days in March I weighed:
    3/23 - 104.5
    3/24 - 106.5
    3/25 - 107
    3/26 - 108
    3/27 - 108
    3/28 - 108.5

And after that point I started sleeping all day and only eating 2 meals so my weight went down. And quickly. Not after I burned off 3500 calories. But I've found when I eat a lot my weight will go up overnight and if I don't eat as much as I normally do, my weight will go down overnight. And it will continue in that direction for as long as I continue that eating pattern. Like I lost 3 pounds in 3 days eating slightly less than normal. I know the 3500 calorie rule can't be true for this to happen.

This couldn't have been water weight in March I would've kept going up had I not started sleeping all day.

ORLY.

Can I borrow that thar crystal ball?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    My workout yesterday burned about 2,200 calories. I weighed about 5 lbs. less after the workout. How was that possible? I didn't burn 3500 calories.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    My workout yesterday burned about 2,200 calories. I weighed about 5 lbs. less after the workout. How was that possible? I didn't burn 3500 calories.

Magic, duh!

gGLc38E.gif
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Do you even science?

You don't gain or lose weight overnight. The differences you're seeing are minor fluctuations that can change based on how much food you've eaten, how much water you're retaining, or when the last time you pooped was.
  • rebeccatackett
    rebeccatackett Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    WAFFLE, you didn't "lose" 5 pounds, you sweated it out, once you replenish the lost fluids, your scale will show that 5 lbs. is back. Also, weighing heavy after eating a heavy meal doesn't mean you have "gained" that weight, it just means that the food is still in your system from the night before. Weighing once a week will give you a better indication of where your weight is.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

Magic, duh!

gGLc38E.gif

Its-magic....gif
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm going to try and break this down to explain it.
    ...And after that point I started sleeping all day and only eating 2 meals so my weight went down. And quickly. Not after I burned off 3500 calories.

Your weight went down because you were eating a calorie deficit. You don't have to BURN OFF calories (via exercise) to lose weight, because your body burns calories just existing (heart function, digestion, etc). If you were eating fewer calories than you were expending by being alive, you would lose weight.
    But I've found when I eat a lot my weight will go up overnight and if I don't eat as much as I normally do, my weight will go down overnight. And it will continue in that direction for as long as I continue that eating pattern. Like I lost 3 pounds in 3 days eating slightly less than normal.

Minor fluctuations up to 10 pounds due to water weight, food consumption, bowel movements (and for ladies, menstrual cycle) are normal. You will not gain or lose a pound of fat (or several) overnight.
    I would've kept going up had I not started sleeping all day.

How do you know??

And another example is there's this man on the biggest loser who lost 38 pounds the first week without even moving his legs cause he was injured. So that means he would have had to burn off 133,000 calories in a week without even moving his legs and there's absolutely no way he did that.

I don't watch the show but I know it deals with people who are morbidly obese. Different rules apply to the morbidly obese, and also, who knows what ACTUALLY happened outside the hour of the show that was broadcast?
    So I'm assuming to gain weight, you just need to eat more than what you're currently eating and keep eating that amount?

If you're currently eating at maintenance, and you eat more, yes, you'll gain. BUT if you are eating at a deficit and you eat more food, you could keep losing, maintain, OR gain, depending on your caloric intake.

Calories in > calories out = weight gain
    Calories out > calories in = weight loss
    Calories in = calories out = maintenance
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Water weighs 8.33 #/gal, a lot of fluctuation depends on hydration and salt levels in your body.
  • Michifan
    Michifan Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day - but I look at my weight as a rolling average. I like the data points, but a single measure on its own to me is useless without a few other points of awareness.
    WAFFLE, you didn't "lose" 5 pounds, you sweated it out, once you replenish the lost fluids, your scale will show that 5 lbs. is back. Also, weighing heavy after eating a heavy meal doesn't mean you have "gained" that weight, it just means that the food is still in your system from the night before. Weighing once a week will give you a better indication of where your weight is.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Water weighs 8.33 #/gal, a lot of fluctuation depends on hydration and salt levels in your body.

Yep! I can swing wildly based upon sodium, high carb weekends, sweat, etc. Easily go 5 lbs in either direction based upon this.
  • Otterluv
    Options

Are you saying that Waffle is full of poo?

Wow, that escalated quickly.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Weight loss doesn't necessarily mean fat loss. To lose 1 lb of fat you need to burn 3500 more than your body uses, but you may lose 1 lb of water weight, or after going to the bathroom, or if you weigh on an empty stomach.
  • da_bears1008
    Options

Magic, duh!

gGLc38E.gif

Its-magic....gif
    mgc.gif

did you say... magic?
  • rebeccatackett
    rebeccatackett Posts: 37 Member
    Options

Are you saying that Waffle is full of poo?

Wow, that escalated quickly.

Yes, sometimes we are full of it when we first wake up!!! lol :P
  • Otterluv
    Options

Magic, duh!

gGLc38E.gif

Its-magic....gif
    mgc.gif

did you say... magic?

Oh, yes, I certainly did! And, I'll see your:

HjsXEvj.gif

And raise you a:

yks6Yjp.gif
  • xxx300
    xxx300 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Your weight will fluctuate, especially for women. Water weight is a big factor, only weigh weekly. :)
  • da_bears1008
    Options

Magic, duh!

gGLc38E.gif

Its-magic....gif
    mgc.gif

did you say... magic?

Oh, yes, I certainly did! And, I'll see your:

HjsXEvj.gif

And raise you a:

yks6Yjp.gif

I'll see your kitty and raise you a:

200.gif