question - men and bulking (muscle)

Options
if you are on a calorie negative is it possible for a man to bulk? I have a friend that is saying he can loose fat and gain muscle at the same time. I suggested that he try to either cycle cut and bulk or cut first then bulk. ( other than starter gains can he bulk on a negative cal ).

links would be great if you have them either way I just am looking for the right answer to help him

Replies

• jimlambrt2
    jimlambrt2 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You cannot add muscle on a caloric deficit. In fact, you will lose some lean mass while cutting.

You can get stronger while cutting. - stronger doesn't equal more lean mass.

How do you add muscle: progressing overload + surplus calories + sufficient rest/sleep

Lift heavy + eat BIG + EPIC sleep = more muscle.

Eric Helms has a great 6 part series that covers deficits, surpluses and all the other basics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAvW6xBZjSk&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLYdkxp9hJ4i58l583rJV7r2LMAiYFJ9gm
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    People who believe they can gain muscle on a deficit (exception for the morbidly obese, who actually can, though studies show the muscle they gain is not appreciable) usually believe it because they see muscles popping. That's not new muscle. The deficit is helping them lose the fat over their existing muscle, and that's what they are seeing.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Not really possible while in deficit.

He may be getting stronger....that can be possible.

Or as fivethreeone pointed out.....it is prolly the fact that he is losing body fat, so his muskles are "popping"
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    thank you all that is exactly what I have been saying and he is hearing NON of it
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    thank you all that is exactly what I have been saying and he is hearing NON of it

Ignorance is bliss :)
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    lol it really is LMAO
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Tell him to take measurements. I'm a heck of a lot stronger than when I started lifting (NROL) in Feb - but no gains in biceps, forearms, thighs etc.