Weight lifting Beginner: Need guidance

Hi All,
I am new to MFP and Below are my details:
Female
Height : 5ft 6 inch
Weight : 185 lbs

I had a baby 6 months back , and I have put on 25-30 lbs due to my pregnancy.
Now I have started doing cardio for 20-25minutes, 4-5times a week. I have decided to start weight lifting along with cardio to reduce my belly pouch (which I got during pregnancy) , reduce my waist line, thighs and hip area.

Can anyone guide me with the kind of workouts for beginners , which you guys are following or any references which have worked out for you.
I never lifted any weights in my life till date.

Thanks.

Replies

• kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Look up StrongLifts 5x5 or New Rules of Lifting for Women. Either would be a good place to start. I actually follow StrongLifts and enjoy it - it is a simply program that I mix in with my cardio training.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Look up StrongLifts 5x5 or New Rules of Lifting for Women. Either would be a good place to start. I actually follow StrongLifts and enjoy it - it is a simply program that I mix in with my cardio training.

^this. Or all pro is a good one too. Bodybuilding.com has it. I youtubed barbell movements and started with just the bar. Used my camera on my phone to video my lifts to make sure my form was good before putting more weight on there.

I will mention where you lose fat from is genetics. You cannot spot reduce but weightlifting and losing weight at a slow pace (about .5-1lb a week) will give you a better chance at looking leaner at goal. Also, getting about 1g per pound of lean body mass in protein will help retain muscle as well.