5x5 is there a reason not to do this?

Options
I have a real hard time with staying committed to a workout program; if I feel I "have" to work out 5 or more days a week I tend to just stop doing it. So I am wondering if there is a reason I can't or shouldn't do all the exercises on the the same day instead of splitting them up every other workout. I think if I plan to work out 3 days a week I can stick with it long term. TIA! Robyn

Replies

• summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You're talking about Stronglifts 5x5, right? I'm doing that program, and I lift 3 days a week. It just means that one week I do Workout A on Tuesday, Workout B on Friday, Workout A on Sunday, and then the next week I do Workout B on Tuesday, and so on. It works just fine that way!

I think if you tried to do all of the exercises on one day, it would be overkill. I know I definitely don't want to do all those reps of overhead press and bench press in one workout!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    proven techniques > how you feel about them
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    I have a real hard time with staying committed to a workout program; if I feel I "have" to work out 5 or more days a week I tend to just stop doing it. So I am wondering if there is a reason I can't or shouldn't do all the exercises on the the same day instead of splitting them up every other workout. I think if I plan to work out 3 days a week I can stick with it long term. TIA! Robyn

You have issues sticking with something 5 or more days per week, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

5x5 is designed to be done 3 days a week.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

I love working out, so 5 days a week is fine with me.

But if you want to just do 3 days, then do that.....
    Make sure your diet is inline w/ your goals, and your training is as well.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    have you even read the Stronglifts website? Stronglifts is designed so that you only work out 3 days a week?
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

You have issues sticking with something 5 or more days per week, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

5x5 is designed to be done 3 days a week.

This ^^^. So I'm going to assume you misunderstood the concept of the program.

This group is dedicated to SL5x5 and looks at the program from the female perspective. The founder of the group did a great job of explaining the program. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

I just got into week 2 and it is awesome!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Doing all 5 exercises in one day is too hard your a person. Your recovery time will suffer.

However Stronglifts 5x5 is only supposed to be done 3 days a week anyway.
  • da_bears1008
    Options
    I'm confused? SL 5x5 is a 3 day a week program.

What was the problem?
  • srmchan
    srmchan Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    The pain of working out < the wonderful after effects. That's why I do it.

As others have said, 5x5 is a 3 day program. On top of that, the exercise list is fairly short. I suspect you could knock out each day in an hour or less, so your commitment is only ~3 hours per week. That's very little time investment for some very significant benefits - especially if you're new to lifting.

Sam
  • ffswmn
    ffswmn Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    LOL I'm a dork - not only have I read how to do this program, I've actually DONE it so I know it is a 3 day program. (shaking head at my brain fart moment!)

So I guess maybe my question should have been is there a reason why I can't/shouldn't do all the exercises in one day?
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    welcome back to your thread, and the answer is because you're body needs to have breaks between workouts and because if you do all the moves you are not going to be able to do each to your fullest potential because you will burn out. Maybe not right at first, but you will see diminished returns when you go to add weight.

Furthermore, you won't build muscle only lifting once a week, at least not at a reasonable rate.

Sorry for the in-eloquence, I'm tired and I really ought to go to bed.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I'm confused? SL 5x5 is a 3 day a week program.

What was the problem?

I'd love to find that out too. Is OP trolling the community?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    So I guess maybe my question should have been is there a reason why I can't/shouldn't do all the exercises in one day?

Because that would not be doing the program.

I have a feeling you aren't planning on taking it seriously, so go ahead. You won't be doing any of it at any intensity, so there's no reason you shouldn't do them all 3x a week.

If you intend to do it with intensity and try to achieve some semblance or challenge, then I'd strongly advise following the program.

If you're asking here about modifying a program, you're in no place to modify a program.