Interesting Dilemma

Options

Replies

• free1220
    free1220 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with getting fluids in. I might drink 2 or 3 cups of coffee in a day and maybe a glass of water if I am not monitoring myself. I will realize I am getting dehydrated when I start getting dizzy when I stand up. I don't get thirsty until I am really dehydrated and I don't have the time to drink when I am at work. It happens.
    Wow,just wow!

You don't have time to drink while at work... no breaks, ever? You work 24 hours a day?
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Eat less oatmeal so that you can leave room for protein foods.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    And also get some Mio water enhancer so that the water will taste good which will make you want to drink it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Oh it doesn't "add up" for you? Well let me see if I can help you. Before I began my journey Dr. Pepper was a very close friend of mine. I rarely if ever drank water or anything else other than that delicious devil. In December my New Year's Resolution was to give up soda completely. I haven't indulged even once all year. According to my Doctor the prescriptions I'm on require me to "drink enough water". So I'm trying to drink a minimum of 8 cups though Doc would prefer I drink more. If I open a 16oz bottle of water in the morning to drink leisurely it may be 8pm before I actually finish that bottle (and that's with effort). I'm NEVER thirsty. There have been days that I've only sipped enough to take my meds and then no other liquid all day. So I have to force it. The problem with that is when I'm pushing to get in the 8 it leaves me full. Some days I don't eat at all because of the water. I can easily consume well over 1000 calories but not in addition to water. It leaves me feeling bloated, stuffed, and miserably uncomfortable. I'm not sure I can explain it any better for you.
    Before I began tracking I wasn't eating healthy so that's totally not the direction I want to go. Before tracking most days I didn't eat breakfast at all. I ONLY drink water. NO juice. NO soda. NO tea.]

So before you started to lose weight, you never drank water? I'm really confused. You're overweight - and you want to lose over 100 pounds. But you can't eat 1,000 calories in one day because water. It just doesn't add up for me. You'd rather drink 4 cups of water in one sitting (because you "can't" get your water in any other way) than actually eat a healthy amount of food.

Good luck.

Maybe try working on your hydration in other ways. Soups, for example-- you could eat a couple of cups of soup, get some water in you that way, and be getting calories at the same time. Smoothies might be a good option too. Your body can't tell whether you drink the water plain or as part of something else.

It's important to get enough calories and adequate nutrients. If the way you're currently doing things doesn't allow that to happen then try some different things.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    OP, have you had a gastric bypass or other weight loss surgery? Your situation sounds similar to something my mother has told me she feels with drinking water. She has to sip small amounts all day through a straw. Really, it would be best if she just had an IV every single day.

I also thought about the grains thing. Was that 1.5 cups dry? If so, I'd be bloated, too. That's a lot of oatmeal. Could you be intolerant?

It seems you possibly have a malabsorption thing going on.

Get to a doctor to check these things out.
  • sarbo1010
    Options
    I work 12 hour days - we are not allowed to have beverages at our desks - Nurse- infection control issue, so to eat or drink I must get to the staff lounge which is usually no where near my patients, so having much of anything to drink all day is out. And chugging would keep me in the bathroom - again would interfere with my job. I've been dehydrated for about 30 years - think this has altered my thirst reflex - I don't seem to get thirsty until I am dizzy. Anyway, I try to drink at least a 20 ounce bottle of water now on my 45 minute ride home. But I do wonder how this individual stays so full on that little bit of food. I have the opposite problem, I have to eat low cal foods and lots of it to stay full. already today for breakfast I have consumed 500 cals - only have 700 left - yikes.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    This is neither Interesting nor a Dilemma.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Hear+hear+_99f33530f5d4cfe76b70bd39d1d70ac0.jpg
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hour days - we are not allowed to have beverages at our desks - Nurse- infection control issue, so to eat or drink I must get to the staff lounge which is usually no where near my patients, so having much of anything to drink all day is out. And chugging would keep me in the bathroom - again would interfere with my job. I've been dehydrated for about 30 years - think this has altered my thirst reflex - I don't seem to get thirsty until I am dizzy. Anyway, I try to drink at least a 20 ounce bottle of water now on my 45 minute ride home. But I do wonder how this individual stays so full on that little bit of food. I have the opposite problem, I have to eat low cal foods and lots of it to stay full. already today for breakfast I have consumed 500 cals - only have 700 left - yikes.

Please don't say you have your non-exercise daily activity set to Sedentary.

If you do, you may find yourself with more reasonable calories by selecting a more honest Lightly Active.

Also, with only 10 lbs to lose, I hope you selected a reasonable 1/2 lb weekly, and not what seems the default 2 lb weekly because everyone wants to lose it quickly.

You may have caused your own calorie level problem, and dehydrated and dizzy I've never had happen together, and I've lost 10 lbs of water weight on a long hard bike ride and was very dehydrated. You sure the dehydrated has screwed up your electrolyte levels, which could be badly altered from eating so little for as active as you are.

Just caught my attention.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    999tigger I've purchased food and prepped and froze. Its not an issue of knowing what to eat the problem is forcing the water is leaving me too full to eat the food. I ate the oatmeal before drinking anything then forced 4 c. water. It still feels like all of that is sitting in my belly like cement. Either I can drink the water or eat the calories, not sure I can do both.

Don't drink the water.
    Don't wade in the pool.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    This isn't a problem that even needs solving. It just needs more days.

You won't always feel this full on 500 calories in a day. I promise.

Its common for people who are used to consuming far more calories to be surprised that they could possibly feel full on so much less. I believe your sense of feeling full is legitimate. But it will not last day to day so you need not worry how you'll possibly get to your calorie goal going forward.

Kick back, enjoy the feeling for today. Plan a more balanced dinner before the lack of calories catches up to you and the hunger strikes badly.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    This isn't a problem that even needs solving. It just needs more days.

You won't always feel this full on 500 calories in a day. I promise.

Its common for people who are used to consuming far more calories to be surprised that they could possibly feel full on so much less. I believe your sense of feeling full is legitimate. But it will not last day to day so you need not worry how you'll possibly get to your calorie goal going forward.

Kick back, enjoy the feeling for today. Plan a more balanced dinner before the lack of calories catches up to you and the hunger strikes badly.

This makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    999tigger I've purchased food and prepped and froze. Its not an issue of knowing what to eat the problem is forcing the water is leaving me too full to eat the food. I ate the oatmeal before drinking anything then forced 4 c. water. It still feels like all of that is sitting in my belly like cement. Either I can drink the water or eat the calories, not sure I can do both.

Don't drink the water.
    Don't wade in the pool.

Ya, I think I'd just like to back out of this one, slowly.

tZOS8.gif
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse and I do 12 hour days and we are allowed drinks on shift. They have a fountain set back from the desk near reception and an office behind the desk where we all keep our drinks. More and more places are catching on now that we cant encourage patients to hydrate unless we are doing so ourselves. I'd agree with not drinking at the desk, it looks unprofessional but having one stashed somewhere out of sight cant surely be disciplinary worthy.
  • FlabULessFoodie
    FlabULessFoodie Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    How can you not manage 1,000 calories a day w/water when you're at least 100lbs overweight?

I'm not trying to be a **** or anything but I've seen so many people on here who are overweight saying they can barely meet mfp's minimum requirement. It just makes me wonder how they got to where they are if they apparently eat like birds.

Usually when a person starts a sentence with "I'm not trying to be a ****" you can rest assured that's exactly what they're trying to do. In spite of your comment I will offer a reply. I was healthy and active for a good portion of my life. After being assaulted I began eating to dull the pain & in a sense to make myself unattractive. Now through therapy and coping skills I've found other channels. It doesnt take a genius to figure out (judging by some of the comments maybe it does) eating McDonalds, Wendys, Sonic, pre-packaged, and other fatty high calorie foods one can well surpass 1000 calories. In a mission to change that lifestyle I've opted to only eat fresh things that I prepare at home which makes it a lot harder to reach 1000 calories.
  • FlabULessFoodie
    Options
    No, it was 1.5c of cooked oatmeal.
    Don't forget the 4 oz of water in the oatmeal you did intake.

That's why the post above about myth of 8 glasses is so true. It was supposed to include water in EVERYTHING you ate.

Probably only need a few more glasses on days where you actually eat something.

Ever had a vitamin or mineral deficiency, or know someone who did?
    How long did it take for symptoms to show up to the point they had a blood test and confirmed what was low?
    Did they crave what they were low on the whole time?

You can have calorie deficiency too. You need some to lose weight obviously, but too much and you'll have bad side effects, may take a while to show up, may not.

But just as most interested in eating healthy would eat some nutritious food just to handle any possible vitamin or mineral deficiencies before the lack caused problems, eat enough to start with before the problems show up.

About the oatmeal, only because I've seen ones make the mistake before.
    That was 1.5 cups of uncooked oatmeal right. To which you added 4 cups of water.

And the MFP food entry was for sure uncooked oatmeal? Many are for servings of prepared, and 1/4 cup at that. You can imagine the difference in calories if you selected the wrong one.
    Because 1.5 cups unprepared would make how many cups prepared? 3 cups prepared. That could be 12 servings of those entries where 1/4 cup prepared is a serving.

That might have just increased your calorie count for the day. Not a whole lot to it though but a stomach stuffer. Guess you got your months fiber in.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    How can you not manage 1,000 calories a day w/water when you're at least 100lbs overweight?

I'm not trying to be a **** or anything but I've seen so many people on here who are overweight saying they can barely meet mfp's minimum requirement. It just makes me wonder how they got to where they are if they apparently eat like birds.

Usually when a person starts a sentence with "I'm not trying to be a ****" you can rest assured that's exactly what they're trying to do. In spite of your comment I will offer a reply. I was healthy and active for a good portion of my life. After being assaulted I began eating to dull the pain & in a sense to make myself unattractive. Now through therapy and coping skills I've found other channels. It doesnt take a genius to figure out (judging by some of the comments maybe it does) eating McDonalds, Wendys, Sonic, pre-packaged, and other fatty high calorie foods one can well surpass 1000 calories. In a mission to change that lifestyle I've opted to only eat fresh things that I prepare at home which makes it a lot harder to reach 1000 calories.

so stop doing that. Add in other things like fats that will help you reach your calories without feeling so full and still allow you to drink your water. There are a lot of healthy ways to eat fats - avocado, peanut butter, coconut oil, olive oil.... All will add calories quickly and not fill you up.
  • FlabULessFoodie
    Options
    No weight loss surgery. It was 1.5c prepared not dry.
    OP, have you had a gastric bypass or other weight loss surgery? Your situation sounds similar to something my mother has told me she feels with drinking water. She has to sip small amounts all day through a straw. Really, it would be best if she just had an IV every single day.

I also thought about the grains thing. Was that 1.5 cups dry? If so, I'd be bloated, too. That's a lot of oatmeal. Could you be intolerant?

It seems you possibly have a malabsorption thing going on.

Get to a doctor to check these things out.
  • FlabULessFoodie
    Options
    Then don't read it or reply. Same goes for Morgan Freeman. If you have nothing worthwhile to contribute move on to the next post.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

I thought it was the water that was making you too full to eat? Now it's the type of food preventing you from reaching your goals?

There is a world of difference between McDonalds every day and eating "only fresh things" (I thought oatmeal was prepackaged food?). Perhaps something in the middle would help you be more successful in your endeavors - and I only suggest this because you're struggling. Being too restrictive might do more harm than good. You don't have to eat things you're not comfortable eating (or trigger foods), but maybe try to incorporate things you mentally have on a "bad" list that aren't bad. Things like nuts are high in fat and calories, but those fats are good fats. And high calorie doesn't mean unhealthy.