Back to veggie diet, trying to keep carbs low.

Options
So, I hit my lowest weight since high school when I decided to do a keto diet and dropped to 270 lbs. (I'm 6'5" and 33 years old). Since getting a new job and being on my feet most of the day, I got comfortable and started eating what I wanted. Doesn't help that I work at a brewery. I work out regularly and try to stay active, but my weight steadily crept back up, and now I'm back up around 300 lbs. You don't have to ask how much that's doing a number on my self-esteem. The last straw came when I took a blood test and found out that nothing had changed. Cholesterol was still high, sodium was still out of whack.

The one time my cholesterol was ever good was when I was a vegetarian, so I've decided to go back to that diet in hopes of getting that under control. My numbers were good, but my biggest problem was that my weight never came down. A veggie diet is pretty rough on carbs, so I'm trying to figure out how to maintain that diet while keeping the carbs somewhat low. Less pasta and potatoes, more leaves and nuts. And no, I'm not going vegan. I like milk and eggs too much. So I'm trying to find ways to do a lower-carb vegetarian diet, if it's possible.

It's this or glue my mouth shut.

Replies

• 3RMomma
    3RMomma Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Why did you stop being a vegetarian and what will help you stick with it this go around? I don't know what a keto diet is (and I'm too lazy to google it), but I'm wondering if picking a way of eating that is sustainable would be the most effective change you could make?
  • davidrapp5
    Options
    I stopped being a vegetarian because I wasn't losing any weight. In fact, I put more on. My wife had just left, so I wanted to put myself back on the market. I think the only thing that will keep me on it is progress. If my cholesterol or weight (or both) don't get any better, I'll quit.

Keto is where your carb intake is almost zero, so your body gets its energy from burning fats and proteins. I dropped weight almost instantly, but I couldn't keep it up.
  • utfreetoski
    Options
    Okay, my first recommendation might be to connect with a trainer who can help you figure out your nutrition if you can afford even a few sessions. It'll change your outlook on things drastically.

I know this becauseI did exactly what I just recommended. I used to be vegetarian as well and have recently converted back to including meat in my diet mostly because I wasn't intaking enough protein without. I currently eat approximately 30/30/40 so 30% fats and protein and 40% carbs, however I'm a bit forgiving on carbs and can go as high as 50% sometimes. Carbs are a vital part of your diet and the fact that veggies do have carbs in them is why I am prone to allowing up to 50% of my intake to be carbs.... especially if you are drop dead determined to be vegetarian. I'm currently on a high protein diet (approx. 130g a day) and the amount of protein I eat helps keep me full in ways that empty carbs such as bread don't. I LOVE my protein bars and whey powders. They mix great with peanut butter and create a snack size (200-300 calorie) thing to eat that is good for you. So many vegetarians don't get enough protein in their diet without going over in calories - it'll be a learning curve but there are some famous body builders that are actually vegan I believe. It can be done.

Also hooking up with a trainer could get you started lifting if you don't already. Most people think that cardio is the way to get skinny.... its not. It helps but that alone won't do it. Get yourself into lifting and attending group classes like boot camp at your gym. Added muscle burns more calories. So even though I'm currently tipping in at 157lbs I'm at 20% body fat (I'm a girl so this is in the lean to athletic range for body fat). Its only taken me 6 months to get from 30% BF to 20%BF but I don't think I would have known where to start without talking to a trainer. Granted I continue to train with my trainer, but that doesn't have to be necessary. Get the knowledge and you can do it on your own no problem.
  • 37by37
    Options
    My husband lost 25 pounds when we first moved in together from dietary changes. We eat 90% vegetarian during the week with no processed foods, sweets or snacks, and then I usually cook one big three course meal on the weekend with little thought to calories or content. On most days we have eggs and 2 pieces of fruit with coffee for breakfast, a mixing bowl size salad (with beans) for lunch, and 2 types of veggies + tofu or beans + brown/wild rice for dinner (if you are really looking to go low-carb, you can switch out the rice for another serving of vegetables). I don't use a ton of oil when I cook, but I stick to olive oil and coconut oil. He usually has at least one drink per day, and I serve fish (usually salmon or tuna) at least once a week. We drink almond milk (I'm lactose intolerant). For him, the main difference was that once he moved in with me, he stopped eating sandwiches every day, ate a lot more fresh fruit and veg, and didn't drink as much - the calories from beer add up quickly!

That said, I don't think it is veg/meat-eating that makes a difference - what really matters is calories in/calories out. I know a LOT of overweight vegetarians!
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and I've been trying to reduce my carb intake lately (kind of as an experiment to see if it speeds up weightloss). Here are some good ideas:

Nuts
    Avocado
    Tempeh --- I'm obsessed lately, it's packed with protein and is great for stir fries
    Tofurky
    Salads
    Veggie soups
    Sweet potatoes --- extremely healthy carbs
    Tofu
    Soy milk
    Coconut milk yogurt + granola
    Celery + peanut butter
    As many green leafy veggies as possible
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I'll be much help on the low-carb end, but I've been a vegetarian for 5 years. I initially gained weight that way, but that was before I paid any attention to portion size whatsoever.

Once I started counting my calories and eating at a moderate deficit, I had no problem losing weight, and my carb intake doesn't seem to be an issue. I try to eat as much protein as possible, but I'd say my carb intake is pretty average. I'm honestly not sure how practical it is to attempt to be a low-carb vegetarian, as so many of our protein sources also tend to be somewhat carby.

My diary is open if you want to have a look, get some ideas, and see how I eat. This past weekend I was at my best friend's wedding, with lots of dessert and alcohol and pretty limited vegetarian food options, so it's not the greatest example of my usual diet. But my diary is a truthful representation of how I ate to lose all of my weight. :smile:
  • davidrapp5
    Options
    Well, I work out pretty regularly, at least 3x/week, doing circuit lifting and cardio. Plus I'm on my feet for about 80-90% of my workday. But I think my biggest setback is portion size - always has been, probably always will be. I've always been a really big guy, so if I try to cut back portions, it just backfires when I get super hungry. It's the worst right after a workout.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Have you considered something more moderate like South Beach, low Gi or Medeterranian diet (they are all pretty similar)? Lots of fresh vegetables, beans, nuts, whole grains, fish and less meat?