What difference have you noticed with weights?

kookla33
kookla33 Posts: 234
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
What change for you once you started doing weight lifting?

Replies

• balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    It's slowly toning me and shaping me tighter. It's definitely worth combining both strength and cardio! It's just as important as each other :happy:
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,033 Member
    my arms and legs dont look so flabby and I have more stamina. Weight lifting also helps with your metabolism. muscle uses more calories then fat does.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    My posture improved almost immediately.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    I'm 5'7 @ 218 pounds and 40 years old; for my weight my arms and abs are firm. That is what weights have done for me. No batwings and no giggle.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    i got more compliments on my arms this past summer than I ever have in my life. Someone actually called me ripped! (and no batwing, also giggle)
  • MeekMeals
    MeekMeals Posts: 517 Member
    My posture improved almost immediately.

I agree!! posture is definitely better. I walk straight up now. Noticed it one day out of the blue. I didnt have the "big girl" walk anymore! LOL!! I love lifting!
  • guardup
    guardup Posts: 230
    Wow. Where to start....

I got serious about lifting a year ago. January of 2010 to be exact. My hubby and I decided to "get ripped" and have some professional photos done (which are here on MFP if you are interested).

We worked hard and had our photo session in August.

The funny thing is, in November, I got into an even higher level of lifting and lost 10lbs of fat. So the photos I have posted here are actually not as defined as I am now. My six pack became and eight pack and am now zeroing in on a 10 pack. I also dropped from size 10 to size 6 (because while I was losing fat, I was also gaining muscle).

The differences I noticed are numerous:

1) I feel REALLY strong. I love this feeling.
    2) I was not endowed with curves by birth... so I made my own - without surgery! :)
    3) My back problems are 98% gone. You can't get a 100% cure... but it's darn close!
    4) My energy levels are much higher - but I also made significant changes to my diet.
    5) I get lots of people (men and women) asking me for lifting advice. :smile:
    6) I do some extreme sports and the extra muscle helps protect me from injury
    7) The endorphin rush I get from lifting far surpasses anything I have ever done for cardio. It's almost on par with sex. :blushing:

For me, lifting is an absolute must. It is my sanity. I can handle any and all problems after my lifting is done. I am at peace with myself and the world. The weights took all my negative energy and turned it into muscle. God bless 'em.
  • kookla33
    kookla33 Posts: 234
    Good to hear the feedback. I would really like to get more toned but it seems like no matter how much weights I do, I don't get that ripped look.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    my hubby is getting ripped.

His secret is total muscle failure. reps of 6 to 8. 3 or 4 sets. Ending with your muscles totally failing. Google it. :bigsmile:
  • guardup
    guardup Posts: 230
    Good to hear the feedback. I would really like to get more toned but it seems like no matter how much weights I do, I don't get that ripped look.

The ripped look isn't just from lifting weights. It's also from a lower body fat percentage. I'm in the low 18's (high 17's depending on the time of day).

The best way to achieve the ripped look is to get to about 20 or 21% body fat and work your muscles hard to achieve hypertrophy. As was mentioned, the best way to get this is to lift to the point of failure.

Then, once you have notices that you measurements in your arms and legs are increasing due to muscle mass, start cutting your calories CAREFULLY while doing only maintenance lifting (10 reps/3-5 sets usually). As your body fat percentage drops, you will see that ripped look that you want.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
  • Kettle bell workouts are a good workout. Crossfit circuits are great as well - you can google both. Crossfit workouts often include a kettle bell but you don't necessarily need one. The benefit of the crossfit is that it is short, sharp and high intensity workout combining cardio and weights, working all the body. Take a look at some of the information on the web - once you start reading you become even more motivated. Enjoy :-)
This discussion has been closed.