cellulite

Options
how do u get rid of it ive tried everything

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    You can't. It's genetic and with the possible exception of surgery, it's something you deal with for life. You can temporarily reduce it visually (cause inflammation in the area), but it's temporary. Fat loss in the area MAY help, but unfortunately you can't target it with exercise, creams, pills, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • traceyandelliemay
    Options
    Dumb... I feel sorry for my daughter now
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    It is genetic, but I am pear-shaped and have noticed that it almost disappears completely when I am at the lower end of BMI and when I really go hard on the elliptical and step machines.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I read an article here in Italy where a doctor was talking about celulite. He said that after dieting---of course, the best remedies were swimming and walking. He said to be careful with massages---too hard and it worsens the inflammation. A light massage is a good thing. I have to say that after swimming for several years and doing alot of walking weekends, my cellulite has almost gone away. People site genetics on here and perhaps it's true, I can only testify to my experience. I had noticed the change, and reading the article gave me an idea as to why, since I do both. So, best of luck. :smile:
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    Idk really. Dieting usually helps. I have cellulite in my face lol -_-
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Try a dry body brush massage. It won't get rid of it, but it helps diminish the appearance!
  • JojoW8183
    JojoW8183 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Cellulite is actually pretty common and normal. Not really much you can do about it except stop worrying about it. Men don't care, women have it and just gotta deal with it. Even the super rich have cellulite. But here's some info I found that might be helpful:

1. http://www.webmd.com/beauty/cellulite/cellulite-causes-and-treatments

2. "Cellulite is caused by irregular patterns of connective tissue beneath the skin, and as the adipose (fatty) tissue, which forms in compartments of little honeycombs, pushes into the skin, it causes the dimpling of cellulite. It has been shown that people who have cellulite have different patterns of connective tissue than people who don't, and men tend to have this pattern much less than women. Cellulite is not directly a function of excess weight, but a genetic difference in the way adipose tissue and connective tissue form. In fact, cellulite affects people whether they are overweight or not. Biochemically, cellulite does not behave any differently than other fat, and there is no health risk from cellulite (some evidence even suggests that lower extremity fat is protective against chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease).

As for getting rid of cellulite, weight loss and exercise can have some effect since the muscle and skin tighten up, but the results vary from person to person. Your results depend on how hard and consistently you train, your age, the amount of collagen and elastin in your skin, and most importantly, genetics. I recommend aerobic exercise 3-5 times per week for 30-40 minutes, resistance exercise 2-3 times per week, and I suggest working the muscles extra hard where cellulite tends to accumulate, even though it isn't possible to "spot reduce." Exercises like side leg raises, low cable pulley work (hips and glutes), squats, lunges, and stair climbing or bench stepping all work the troublesome areas. And even if this prescription doesn't get rid of all your cellulite, it will help some, and it sure will make you strong and fit."

3. Cellu-smooth is apparently and FDA approved laser treatment for cellulite (no clue if it works or not)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've seen mega skinny women with a fair bit of cellulite. Thankfully it disappeared when I lost the weight.
    I have heard that dry brushing helps
  • mtaras1
    Options
    Use a body brush! Also you can make a scrub with coffee grinds, brown sugar and olive oil (rub on effected area for a couple mins then rinse off with cold water) it helps minimize the appearance :smile:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Not gonna happen, sorry, it's genetics.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Most people say it's not gonna happen. I'm in a healthy weight range now and I lift heavy, it's almost gone, or at least "appears" to be. Enough that I'm not self-conscious of it.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights got rid of mine (temporary). Once you reduce your body fat and increase your muscle mass, it's less visible. However, I became a lazy couch-potato and the cellulite came back. I'm lifting again and it's going away. Like other said, it's always there, but can be less visible.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I asked my dermatologist about this one. It is genetic but there are things you can do to minimize it. Since it's just the way your fat cells develop, having LESS fat cells will get rid of a lot of your cellulite. So lowering your body fat % overall and building more muscle.

Otherwise, you can "break down" the deformed cells by kneading the areas in the shower for several minutes. My derm said to press hard enough to feel like you're almost going to bruise. I started to try this and then decided I didn't care and forgot about it.

He also said if it's really bad, you can pay about $5000 for a reshaping procedure, but it basically does the same thing as if you just kneaded it down yourself every day, just more quickly. So save yourself some money!

And you can also diminish the appearance in the moment by using lotions that have caffeine in them. Like, if you're going to the beach, use this kind of lotion to puff up the cellulite areas and it will look like there is less. It's only a temporary effect though.