Exercise Ball Instead of Office Chair??

Options
A lady at my husband's work uses an exercise ball in place of an office chair at work. She says not only does it help her core muscles, it has eliminated her lower back pain. Does anyone else do this? Do you find it beneficial? Is it worth looking totally silly sitting at your desk? :)

Replies

• laeddie
    Options
    I'm actually sitting on one now as I type my reply! I went to a chiropractor a while ago and noticed that she sat on one at her desk. Had trouble finding a ball that was the correct height for my desk, but hubby and boys surprised me with a chair that actually has a ball as an insert. So far, I love it! Of course, today was the first day. :)
  • ❤B☩❤
    Options
    Our Chiropractor and his Office Assistant do that, too. I'd say it's probably awesome for your core, balance, posture, and you can bounce once in a while...just for the fun of it! :wink:
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    we have a couple of people at work who do that.. I have thought about it too. They swear by it.. and I do love sitting on it just bouncing ..
  • kissyfurr3
    kissyfurr3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had one in my last office and LOVED it! But, I did keep my regular chair in the room as well... some people had issues talking to me about serious things when I was sitting on a ball. Also, kids would come into my office and I would have to hide it as their parents would let them play with it.
  • AkAmber
    AkAmber Posts: 40
    Options
    Too funny, I never even thought of the benefit of bouncing now and then just for fun. Who can have a bad day while bouncing up and down on a ball?! ;)

Thanks!
  • sirena67
    sirena67 Posts: 3
    Options
    They just bought 5 exercise balls for the office. The problem is, there are 20 of us. I would really like to use one for my lower back pain.
  • Silvergamma
    Silvergamma Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I use one too. If you have back pain you have to be a little careful with them, because you can still slouch on them which can make things worse not better. You also should work up to sitting on one full time. The first week or two I would use mine for 2-4 hours a day, and my back and core would be achy (cause it is a work out to balance, and maintain your posture). They are awesome, but not a fix all.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I don't use one at work because I'm not the only one that sits at my desk. However, I use one at home; both at my desk and when playing video games on the TV. It's awesome.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I got one for my husband's home office--he now has problems with his back when he has to sit in a regular chair for an extended period of time. I enjoy using the ball when I've got the opportunity, but have an elevated work surface now (so I stand at my work station.)

The secretary in the main office of our school uses a chair with an embedded exercise ball and loves it (she's attached a supergirl cape to it...), and my cousin swears by hers (she's a yoga nut, too, though, and periodically pushes back over her exercise ball into a spine stretch.)