Anyone have trouble getting to the gym in the morning?

Options
2»

Replies

• wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I am also not the morning person. I tried it a long time ago to go to the gym before work. It worked for about a week. The weekend smashed that plan real quick though. :( Now that I'm married, I might try it again, but I love sleep so much, snooze buttons are my fave.

I do lunchtime workouts since I work a desk job. This is a sure-fire way to get the workout in, but I still need organization. I eat lunch at my desk after the workout. I don't feel as guilty about going to the gym when my lunch is a couple minutes away from my desk. I also need snacks before the gym. All of this is packed up and ready to go in the mornings too. So if you truly can't do mornings, just concentrate especially hard on getting your food in order. You'll still lose the weight even without the gym.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    My solution to working out in the morning was buying Bowflex dumbbells and a bench so all I have to do is walk into the living room. Once I cut out the drive and got that extra sleep back I was golden.

Agreed. Pick up some adjustable dumbbells (my recommendation is Powerblock) and then do it at home.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I used to go in the mornign but now I get up later and later and don't usually make it to the gym before work anymore. Mostly because, my days are so long; sometimes 22 hour days and a two hour turnaround. But as long as you get it in there. I do love to workout so make it a priority to do it when I am able.

Wow. O.o I'm a pretty dedicated exerciser, but if I worked a 22-hr workday, I'd go home!
  • demetria423
    demetria423 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am so not a morning person either! However I know I would rather get up early than to have to work out after I get off work. That is the only thing that pushes me to wake up at 5:00 in the morning. So many times I want to push the snooze button but then I remember that I want to enjoy being able to relax once I get off work.
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I am in the same pickle. I've been managing to get my workouts in, but each week my available after work time becomes less and less. Working out in the mornings is looking like my only alternative. I'm going to start with getting up earlier on the weekends, just to get my body a little bit more used to it. Then each week I'll get up a little bit earlier and earlier. I'm hoping this will change my weekday sleeping patterns too until I can just make this my main schedule.

I only have 2 concerns with getting up early to work out: 1) waking up my boyfriend only an hour or so before he has to get up. He has a hard time getting back to sleep. And 2) combating that inital grogginess that makes me feel like I'm not getting/doing a very good workout. I feel like I give it half my energy as I would at night.
  • butterrum13
    butterrum13 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person either, but I cannot go to the gym in the mornings on weekdays, and most weekends either. My husband starts work between 2 AM and 6 AM depending on the day and my gym opens at 5:30. 3 of my 4 kids are too young to be left home on their own and the other one isn't responsible enough to watch his brother & sisters yet.

I either stop on my way home from work, or go after the little kids are in bed (7:30). Not my ideal but it is what it is.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Nope, I run to the gym at 4:30 AM. When I was younger I hated mornings, now I go to bed early and can wait to go.
  • alcrisp93
    Options
    I used to have trouble getting up and working out in the morning too, but I've come up with a routine that has been working for me. I get up in the morning, and the rule is that I'm not allowed to shower or eat breakfast until after I've worked out. I don't go to work until afternoons/evenings, so the temptation to sleep in is really strong for me, but I love to eat! So, knowing that after I've worked out I can shower, eat breakfast, and relax until work motivates me. Plus, I love the feeling I have if I workout in the morning. It's like it starts my whole day off right.