Protein help

Options
I am following a pretty strict guided diet which will eventually turn into my complete lifestyle change and in there it says to have some sort of protein shake after my morning workout. Can somebody please let me know what my choices are that are not too expensive and will aid in WEIGHT LOSS right now, I see there is powder as well as pre-made ready to drink but holy moly there are TONS of different kinds!! I'm a little confused and have been doing a little research on them but figured it would be best to ask my fellow MFP'ers. Thanks so much!

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i just started with optimum nutrition 100% gold standard whey protein in extreme chocolate milk. It has 24 g of protein per serving and just a few carbs and only 130 calories. It also tastes GREAT and is easy to throw in a baggie then mix with water post-work out. I'm also trying to lose weight but as a vegetarian its tough to get in my protein. I highly recommend this stuff!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I use Bluebonnet soy protein shake powder. It's the only one I've found that doesn't use artificial sweeteners and actually tastes good. It has 120 calories per scoop and 15 grams of protein. You really don't need one with more protein than that as the body just can't absorb it all at once.
  • jaskelley
    jaskelley Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Aggie's recommendation is a good one. Optimum Nutrition's whey powder is very good. It mixes up well and doesn't taste like crushed aspirin. It's also pretty cheap online. Bodybuilding.com has 2 lbs for $20 (http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html).
  • julwri
    julwri Posts: 3
    Options
    I am new (today) to myfitnesspal. Can someone please tell me why my daily food includes a -22 for protein? Not sure what this means..................
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    My protein fav's are Cheeses - string cheese, you can find 50 calories and up (Sam'sClub/Walmart/Supermarket)
    I use Jillian Michael - powder van/choc 100cals per scoop (Sam club) & Mix with Almond Breeze 60cal per 8oz (supermarket)
    I Love Kashi go lean crunchy protien and fiber bars (Sams club)
    sometime pick at lunchmeat ( Turkey/Chicken/Cheese) funny I know - I buy by the pound and use for lunches for the week. So it has to go...
    Light and fit yogurts appx 5 proteins

View my "food diary" anytime. If you have any question - email me anytime :)