Protein

Options
Hi all,

Can anybody tell me...I am over my protein nearly everyday but under on my calories. Is it okay to be over and how much can I be over.

Thanks

Replies

• forthefab5
    forthefab5 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Definitely fine to be over... Protein helps in maintaining/repairing/building muscle which promotes weight loss by burning more fat. I read somewhere that it is ok to eat a gram of protein for every pound you are... sorry, can't remember where it is from.

Alot of people who try to build muscle (aka body builders) even supplement their programs with protein shakes, etc.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Too much protein for an extended period of time can be very hard on the kidneys. So, it depends on how much over you are. If you're getting twice your recommended amount of protein, you should probably cut back. And you should also aim to meet your calorie goal because MFP already calculates a deficit for you.
  • Diesel66
    Diesel66 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to gain more muscle, maintain, or lose weight? Protein is the building block for muscle and skeletal support. Having said that, you want to remember a couple of key things. 1) Eat enough protein to sustain bodyweight especially if you're training hard. 2) Also, protein competes for room in your muscles, so you must drink plenty of water, especially if you notice you've been "going" p alot after an increase of protein :) Hopefully, I answered this for you?
  • vonlew
    vonlew Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks for the advise, you have all put my mind a ease...and I know I am on the right track.....