Achy Legs - trying to get back into running

AGirlandHerFrenchie
AGirlandHerFrenchie Posts: 448 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I used to run all the time but in the last few years I have broken my right ankle twice and broken my left knee. Since then I've continued to race but have walked them all - I even walked my first marathon this summer.

This morning I went to the gym and decided I'd get on the treadmill and slowing start running again. I walked for about 10 minutes and then started to run slowly. I ran for about a minute but my legs just started aching - mostly my joints.

Does anyone have any suggestions on strengthening my joints or how to relieve the pain so that I can start to run again?

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Maybe try taking up swimming? Idk how you would come back from those kind of injuries. :-(
  • Jog on a rebounder (mini-trampoline!). Less stress on your joints then the pounding of pavement/treadmill.
  • ant17r
    ant17r Posts: 13
    I don't have any suggestions as I'm going through the same thing. Haven't done a race since June of 2009 because of knee problems. I'm hoping once I drop some weight that some of the pain will go away naturally. Congrats on completing the marathon! I'm sure walking wasn't the way you wanted to do it but completing it is still a great accomplishment!

Anthony
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Every pound of body weight puts 4 pounds of pressure on the joints in your legs. Maybe at this point something with low/no resistance like an elliptical or arc trainer would be better for your joints.
  • I'm an exercise physiologist and a runner and my recommendation would be to start with intervals of run/walking. If your usual walking work out is 45 min long, I would start with breaking that down into 5 min intervals - 3 min of walking, 2 min of running (or even 4 min of walking and 1 min of running). Every week or two, add 30 sec of running and take out 30 sec of walking. It doesn't sound like much, but you'll want to start off slowly and not try to do too much too soon. Also, look for swelling in your knees and ankles after each walk/run and if you notice any, take 15 min after your work out and ice them (a bag of frozen peas or corn works great for icing knees and ankles). This will help reduce any inflammation (I expect you'll have some). Also, if you normally walk 5 days/week, I would start with the running intervals on only three of them and not on consecutive days. A conservative approach will serve you well and get you back on track sooner.

Introducing some weight training might be a good idea too, if you aren't already doing some.

Good luck and congrats on finishing a marathon!
  • If you have been cleared by your doctor/physical therapist to run...

Run 1 minute, walk 9 minutes. Repeat once or twice (or however long your walk usually would be). Do that for a couple weeks. If everything feels good then...

Run 2 minutes, walk 8 minutes. Repeat once or twice. Do that for a couple weeks. If everything feels good then...
    Run 3 minutes, walk 7 minutes, etc. etc

That's what I had to do after I sprained my knee...

Or you can run every 1 out of 5 minutes if you want to start there, but it sounded like you are in significant pain when running, so I though maybe start at 1 out of every 10 minutes.
  • AGirlandHerFrenchie
    Jog on a rebounder (mini-trampoline!). Less stress on your joints then the pounding of pavement/treadmill.

That's a really interesting idea - I'll look into it. Sounds like an interesting challenge. :smile:
  • AGirlandHerFrenchie
    If you have been cleared by your doctor/physical therapist to run...

Run 1 minute, walk 9 minutes. Repeat once or twice (or however long your walk usually would be). Do that for a couple weeks. If everything feels good then...

Run 2 minutes, walk 8 minutes. Repeat once or twice. Do that for a couple weeks. If everything feels good then...
    Run 3 minutes, walk 7 minutes, etc. etc

That's what I had to do after I sprained my knee...

Thanks for the suggestion - that's what I was thinking of doing. My doctor has cleared me - he'd prefer that I didn't run at all but told me to do it until it hurts. Problem is, it hurts right away lately. Back in the Spring/Summer, I was alternating and feeling good but that was before I gained this 30lbs back, so I'm hoping losing some weight will help.

Or you can run every 1 out of 5 minutes if you want to start there, but it sounded like you are in significant pain when running, so I though maybe start at 1 out of every 10 minutes.
  • AGirlandHerFrenchie
    I'm an exercise physiologist and a runner and my recommendation would be to start with intervals of run/walking. If your usual walking work out is 45 min long, I would start with breaking that down into 5 min intervals - 3 min of walking, 2 min of running (or even 4 min of walking and 1 min of running). Every week or two, add 30 sec of running and take out 30 sec of walking. It doesn't sound like much, but you'll want to start off slowly and not try to do too much too soon. Also, look for swelling in your knees and ankles after each walk/run and if you notice any, take 15 min after your work out and ice them (a bag of frozen peas or corn works great for icing knees and ankles). This will help reduce any inflammation (I expect you'll have some). Also, if you normally walk 5 days/week, I would start with the running intervals on only three of them and not on consecutive days. A conservative approach will serve you well and get you back on track sooner.

Introducing some weight training might be a good idea too, if you aren't already doing some.

Good luck and congrats on finishing a marathon!

Thank you for the tips. I'm going to try to do a little bit of running a couple of times a week and see what happens.
  • AGirlandHerFrenchie
    I don't have any suggestions as I'm going through the same thing. Haven't done a race since June of 2009 because of knee problems. I'm hoping once I drop some weight that some of the pain will go away naturally. Congrats on completing the marathon! I'm sure walking wasn't the way you wanted to do it but completing it is still a great accomplishment!

Anthony

Hey Anthony - I'm hoping the same thing. I think after I lose some weight and have a little less pressure on my joints it will be a little bit easier and until then I'll just do what I can. I'm hoping to run a marathon or at least run half of it this August and maybe try a triathlon in the fall - I'm looking forward to "training" with you and reaching the finish line. :smile:
This discussion has been closed.