French fries done right..(or better)

Options
I have been cooking healthy all week, and I just wanted to get some fast food. I had 700 calories left for dinner so I went to Wendy's and got the Ultimate chicken Grilled sandwich (320 calories) and a side salad w/ ranch (130 calories). When I got home I really wanted some french fries. I had already looked them up and found that they were like 500 calories, but then I remembered that I had bought my husband some Ore Ida Extra Crispy frozen french fries (170 calories). I stayed under my count on everything and got my french fry fix. Just wanted to share in case you need one also.

Replies

• cherylweems99
    cherylweems99 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been cooking healthy all week, and I just wanted to get some fast food. I had 700 calories left for dinner so I went to Wendy's and got the Ultimate chicken Grilled sandwich (320 calories) and a side salad w/ ranch (130 calories). When I got home I really wanted some french fries. I had already looked them up and found that they were like 500 calories, but then I remembered that I had bought my husband some Ore Ida Extra Crispy frozen french fries (170 calories). I stayed under my count on everything and got my french fry fix. Just wanted to share in case you need one also.
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    MY WEAKNESS!!!!!

i remember three-four years back on a diet i'd be like OH GOD NEED FRIES! and run through the drive thru and that'd be my entire MEAL for the night.

terrible.

i know. haha also probably helped i'd be running around all day on diet mt dew.

the things you can do when you're 18.

:yawn:
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip, I do miss a french fries now and then, haven't had any since March:frown:
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    The Steak Cut Fries are even lower, 110 Cal, 3 G fat. They are pretty tasty too!

Also I make my own fries:

Pre heat oven to 400
    Cut a russet potato into wedges
    spray a non stick cookie sheet with Pam
    lay out wedges and sprinkle with S&P and Reduced Fat parmesan cheese
    Cook on one side for 20 mins and flip. Sprinkle other side w/ S&P and Parmesan cheese
    cook for another 20 mins

I don't know the calorie count, but I garentee its lower than regular fries!:drinker: :drinker:
  • cherylweems99
    cherylweems99 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe. It sounds great!
  • maverickyanda
    Options
    ooh, i'd just bake potatoes sans the salt and use pepper and cayenne instead.

i suppose the calorie content would just be whatever a russet potato is?

i really need to get better knives for my kitchen :P because i have potatoes in the fridge. ah, but i do have an oven and that means i can bake one tomorrow. mm mm i love anything potato!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I make sweet potato fries - much healthier for you and soooo easy to make.
  • maverickyanda
    Options
    The Steak Cut Fries are even lower, 110 Cal, 3 G fat. They are pretty tasty too!

Also I make my own fries:

Pre heat oven to 400
    Cut a russet potato into wedges
    spray a non stick cookie sheet with Pam
    lay out wedges and sprinkle with S&P and Reduced Fat parmesan cheese
    Cook on one side for 20 mins and flip. Sprinkle other side w/ S&P and Parmesan cheese
    cook for another 20 mins

I don't know the calorie count, but I garentee its lower than regular fries!:drinker: :drinker:

134 calories + your parmesan cheese :P
  • Olympia
    Olympia Posts: 10
    Options
    I also love to bake sweet potato fries. Spray cookie sheet with Pam (and also spray the fries to make them crisp). Then I make a sweet mustard sauce (with splenda if I'm good, and honey when I'm not). But, most recently, I've beem making these amazing roasted red potatoes. Take about 3 lbs of red potatoes (cut in half or quarters) and cut 1 or 2 onions in half moon slices. Take about 1 tbsp of olive oil mix with 2 tbsp of good mustard (also hot sauce if you're in the mood). Toss with potatoes and onions. Put on Pam sprayed cookie sheet. Bake in pre-heated oven at 425, tossing several times. The high heat is important if you want them to crisp. Roast for about 50 minutes. This makes a lot, so the whole family can munch on these yummie healthy snacks (or side dish). Delish.