Snacking problems

Options
Ok I am a boardom eater and I'm having a real hard time controlling my snacking epically in the evening when I'm done with work can anyone give me any ideas to stop my snacking habits?

Replies

• chatterbachx
    Options
    I found a healthy snack that I can eat a lot of which is almonds for me. Or I will make a smoothie (peanut butter one and almond milk for me typically) and slowly drink that. That is what I have been doing recently and it has definitely helped curb the sitting in front of my TV eating cookie dough or snacking on more pizza or whatnot. Hope this helps! :D
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    If you are still hungry between meals,add more bulk foods,salads,more veggies,maybe a slice of good bread etc.....within your allowance. If you are not hungry between meals,allow one higher fiber snack.Sooner or later it comes down to what you want the most.Losing wt or not losing. Good luck.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    try snacking on kettle corn/popcorn, chewing gum, munching on celery/baby carrots, pickles, drinking water (i like lemon in mine), drinking herbal teas with yummy flavours etc. or just plain distracting yourself. maybe learn a new hobby? that'll give you something to do
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    How much fiber and protein are you taking in daily? Both of these will keep you fuller longer.

Try to eat things that are "whole" so for example an apple with the skin on, or a handful of nuts instead of processed foods (dried fruit or peanut butter). Foods that haven't been processed will make you feel fuller longer because they take longer to digest.

Google the "glycemic index Harvard school of public health" if you want to know more and also for a more complete list of foods that keep you feeling full longer.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Get a hobby that keeps you busy & entertained so you're not bored and don't have the time to snack constantly. Doesn't have to be physically tiring but something like drawing/ painting or knitting would keep your hands occupied.

ETA I found buying less snacky food so it wasn't i the house also helped.
  • nwingr
    nwingr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Have a big glass of water or club soda before you pick up the snack. Then have carrots, bell peppers ready to snack on. If I crave salt I will take romaine hearts and dip them in a gluten free soy sauce.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? - could it be you are actually hungry?

How much fibre, protein and healthy fats are you eating? - these all help with satiety.

If the above two are in check and you simply enjoy having an evening snack, then why not leave 300 or so calories in your budget specifically for an evening snack and use them to eat whatever you like.
  • ElliieMental
    Options
    Less carbs = more fat :bigsmile:
  • raynornffc
    Options
    To be honest, i see this more of a mental issue rather than a hunger issue. I used to have periods where i would contemplate snacking. I was never hungry, just bored. However I used to have a unique approach to stopping myself.... I would go stand in front of mirror or grab my body in the areas i hated the most, just as a gentle reminder why i started the journey. The biggest enemy you have to deal is yourself, what reasons can you think of to keep you strong? Conquer your mind and you will find yourself not snacking any more
  • Boccellin
    Boccellin Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    eliminate all high-calorie, high fat, bad for you snacks from your home, if possible. Replace them with healthy snacks, like small bags of popcorn, fruit, baby carrots. If you want a snack like nuts, preportion them into little baggies so you don't go overboard and eat 500 calories worth for a small snack. This way the snack can fit into your day more easily. Or make your snacks more of an effort to prepare, like a smoothie. If you have to work for it, it will stop you from mindlessly eating.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Try snacking on food items that take a bit of 'effort' to eat. Pistachio nuts, edamame in the shell, cut up a apple into little pieces - or any food into tiny bits -

Even more 'gimmicky'...I've heard using chop sticks while eating helps too.
  • weight2go
    weight2go Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I also have that problem. So instead of sitting in front of the TV til bedtime, I read in bed for the last part of the night. Helps me to think of something else.
  • KatieKansan
    KatieKansan Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Im actually a big snacker too!! I just always baggie everything in a ziploc bags now by calories so I dont over do it. That way I know what im taking in..
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    To be honest, i see this more of a mental issue rather than a hunger issue. I used to have periods where i would contemplate snacking. I was never hungry, just bored. However I used to have a unique approach to stopping myself.... I would go stand in front of mirror or grab my body in the areas i hated the most, just as a gentle reminder why i started the journey. The biggest enemy you have to deal is yourself, what reasons can you think of to keep you strong? Conquer your mind and you will find yourself not snacking any more

I agree with this completely. I lost 100lbs close to 3 years ago and gained back some lately that I am working to take off again. Snacking is seriously my downfall when it comes to maintenance because every time I was bored or stressed I ran for snacks to take my mind off what I did not want to think about. It is easier to drown yourself in a bowl of ice cream than face your issues sometimes. I found myself reaching for something at 9pm every single night out of habit and really the only way I found to stop this is to just cut it out completely because there was no hunger to it, just habit. It takes a good couple weeks to break a habit or set a new pattern, but stopping mindless eating can be done. Best of luck to you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Get a hobby that keeps you busy & entertained so you're not bored and don't have the time to snack constantly. Doesn't have to be physically tiring but something like drawing/ painting or knitting would keep your hands occupied.

ETA I found buying less snacky food so it wasn't i the house also helped.

This. If you are going nuts wanting to just physically snack, try carrots and celery.

I used to want to snack at various times just due to habit and recognizing that it was just mental and not giving in to it helped me lose the urge pretty quickly.
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough calories?
  • agal129
    agal129 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Here are some ideas:
    -brush your teeth when you're done with each meal/snack so that you'll be less tempted to continue noshing and dirty up your clean teeth
    -chew gum
    -sip hot tea
    -read a book or magazine
    -find something to do around the house - clean up, do laundry, etc
    -go for a walk - even if it is just for 5 to 10 minutes
    -drink 2 cups of water