High deficit but not losing. Help needed

Options
Hi everyone, I've been a member of this site for a long time and even though I don't use the forums much the app really helps track my calories.
I'm going to try and keep it as short and as simple as possible.
Last year I embarked on a weight loss journey which was really successful. Over the course of five weeks i managed to shed about 45lbs. During this time I cycled for about 90 minutes and did the 30DS every day, with only sundays off. My diet was really strict, no complex carbs what so ever. The only ones I ate came from fruit like apples, pears and plums. I avoided high sugary fruits like bananas and pineapple. It was really hard but I pushed through it, and obviously the results were very rewarding.
Even though I dropped so much Im still not happy with my body, so I started the journey again, but the circumstances changed this time. I moved to a different country, my work hours are different every week, and eating no complex carbs is near impossible due to my current lifestyle. I did kick out white pasta, white bread and white potatoes, so it is mostly good carbs but still.
I excersize a lot, and I mean really a lot. Just last week I cycled over 150K, ran 30K and did loads of strength training in between (pushups, sit-ups, plank, wallsit, plank twist etc). I also ate around 1500 calories per day, which puts me at a major deficit considering how I burned nearly a 1000 with just excersizing every day. My weight hasn't changed one bit. I should have dropped at least 2 lbs in the last 2 weeks. I'm baffled. Even though Im busting myself with all this hard cardio my BFP is still the same. I know it's not my body just trying to adjust to a workout scheme because I've been active for over a year now, so it's definitely not that. I'm wondering if I should just try and go low carb again? Kick out the Weetabix, the sweet potatoes, the whole wheat pasta etc.
Please let me know what you guys think. I have about 15lbs of fat left and I want to get rid of it. Just don't tell me to be patient because I have no patience left! lol.
Also bear in mind that I suffer from Arthritis, all that running/cycling isn't doing me any good.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Sorry but did you mean to say you lost 45lbs in 5 weeks shouldn't that be 5 months (at least)?
  • malcolmjcooper
    malcolmjcooper Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Sorry but did you mean to say you lost 45lbs in 5 weeks shouldn't that be 5 months (at least)?
    I was thinking the same
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    do you weigh solid foods and measure liquids? If not you may be eating 10-50+% more than you think you are
  • tremroy1
    tremroy1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If you lost 45 lbs in 5 weeks.........9 lbs per week........you have found the secret to eight loss....send me the formula......
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Over the course of five weeks i managed to shed about 45lbs.

Is that a typo? 45 lbs in 5 WEEKS? Really?
    careyidol.gif
  • KnightQueen25
    KnightQueen25 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    First off, losing weight is not an exact science. It stinks, but sometimes our bodies just go through this time of rebellion. However, I am wondering if you are eating enough. It seems counterproductive, but maybe since starting back up on losing weight your body is hitting starvation mode. With that much exercise (great job by the way!) you may need to be eating more to compensate. Still give yourself a deficit to equal out to one to two pounds a week, but not so much of a deficit that your body holds weight in fear you will not fuel it enough.

Anyway, just a thought. Good luck!
  • SlimMe37
    SlimMe37 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating and how many are you burning? If you're eating at a major deficit and not eating at least some of your calories back you could have a very big problem. Sounds like you might be working your body way too hard. Why the rush?
  • Tabithas_Transformation
    Options
    do you weigh solid foods and measure liquids? If not you may be eating 10-50+% more than you think you are

Second this ^
  • carolinaem
    carolinaem Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Take a week off exercise. Maintain your 1500 calories (or eat more, what is your BMR and TDEE?). Your body might just need some time to recuperate.
  • amandabaskins
    amandabaskins Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem. I lost about 75lbs in the last year, with just walking everyday. Took 2 months off my diet and gained 20lbs back. Now I'm in the gym 6 days a week burning around 1000 calories a day. I was only eating 1000 calories also, and everyone said "you're not eating enough to lose weight" So, I've started slowly upping my calorie intake (at 1500 now) And I've gained 3lbs this week!! Like wtf I'm killing myself in the gym and depriving myself of the foods I love for no reason!!. If you figure this out let me know.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    45 lbs in 5 week? Please tell us this is a typo.

With only 15 lbs to lose, you should be set to lose .5 lb/week on myfitnesspal goals. Also, there is no reason to cut any food whatsoever, as long as you're eating within a range that gives you a calorie deficit. As you lose more weight, your body becomes more efficient and you won't get as high a calorie burn off of the same cardio.

Do you weigh your food? You might be eating more than you realize/eating back too many exercise calories.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    It also depends on how much you weigh. You need to give more info----height, weight,etc. Because perhaps you want to lose some more, but your body thinks it's at goal. That makes it hard to lose. Your body will resist. It also helps to open your diary. If you want real help this is necessary. Best. :smile:
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I've been a member of this site for a long time and even though I don't use the forums much the app really helps track my calories.
    I'm going to try and keep it as short and as simple as possible.
    Last year I embarked on a weight loss journey which was really successful. Over the course of five weeks i managed to shed about 45lbs. During this time I cycled for about 90 minutes and did the 30DS every day, with only sundays off. My diet was really strict, no complex carbs what so ever. The only ones I ate came from fruit like apples, pears and plums. I avoided high sugary fruits like bananas and pineapple. It was really hard but I pushed through it, and obviously the results were very rewarding.
    Even though I dropped so much Im still not happy with my body, so I started the journey again, but the circumstances changed this time. I moved to a different country, my work hours are different every week, and eating no complex carbs is near impossible due to my current lifestyle. I did kick out white pasta, white bread and white potatoes, so it is mostly good carbs but still.
    I excersize a lot, and I mean really a lot. Just last week I cycled over 150K, ran 30K and did loads of strength training in between (pushups, sit-ups, plank, wallsit, plank twist etc). I also ate around 1500 calories per day, which puts me at a major deficit considering how I burned nearly a 1000 with just excersizing every day. My weight hasn't changed one bit. I should have dropped at least 2 lbs in the last 2 weeks. I'm baffled. Even though Im busting myself with all this hard cardio my BFP is still the same. I know it's not my body just trying to adjust to a workout scheme because I've been active for over a year now, so it's definitely not that. I'm wondering if I should just try and go low carb again? Kick out the Weetabix, the sweet potatoes, the whole wheat pasta etc.
    Please let me know what you guys think. I have about 15lbs of fat left and I want to get rid of it. Just don't tell me to be patient because I have no patience left! lol.
    Also bear in mind that I suffer from Arthritis, all that running/cycling isn't doing me any good.

Thanks in advance.

Could be a number of things:-

1) with all that exercise I would imagine that you are building lean muscle, so although the scale may not be changing, your body composition might be, and you may be losing a lot of fat - try taking measurements or comparing photos. My weight has remained constant since the beginning of the year but my body composition has changed significantly with gym work and I have lost inches!

2) perhaps you are near your body's goal weight ( as distinguished from the number you have in your head). If so, shedding pounds will take a lot longer than it did before!

3) as some have suggested, increasing calories may help, then again they may not - depends on your individual body - experiment!

4) You seem to be doing a lot of cardio - are you throwing in some strength exercises? Try out with a trainer at a gym - those guys come up with fascinating compound exercises that push you harder and work you in different ways then you may be motivated to on your own. However if you want to do something on your own that will bring VISIBLE results try doing 100 burpee jumping jacks (minimum) per day and check back in three weeks and I assure you the changes will be undeniable!

5) some studies have suggested that if you lose over 10% of your body weight! the effects of similar exercise are diminished for reasons not clear - perhaps muscles become more efficient, etc (check out this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077746-starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss)

6) ultimately, and most importantly, don't look at these things as some kind of a sprint for a defined period of time (3 months or whatever). This is a lifestyle change, so take your time and trust the process! It's for life - there is no rush, because even if you do hit your new target, that's just a milestone, which will ultimately have to be consolidated by the lifestyle changes you will presumably have made, or you will ultimately begin to gain soon after hitting the target!
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    OK, let me just say you are not building muscle. Nope.

I would guess that your calorie counts are off or you are retaining water.
  • Airportchick
    Airportchick Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I was a group fitness instructor for 10 years and started gaining weight. Long story short, I was exercising too much because it started raising my cortisol. Once that happens, the more you exercise, the more your cortisol raises, the more weight you gain, I no longer teach and only exercise for myself. Guess what? The weight is coming off. I believe you are in the same cycle and over training.
  • blessybuva
    blessybuva Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Definitely a typo, sorry. It was 5 weeks but 35lbs rather than 45. It sounds impossible but isn't. I went from no movement at all and basicly eating only junk food to a lot of hard work and a strict clean diet.

Building muscle isn't my priority. I can work on them once the last bit of stubborn fat is gone. But like I said, strength training IS a part of my workouts.
    I might be doing too much. I definitely don't think I'm eating less than I should have - I often eat when not hungry e.g. dinner with family.
    I only drink water and sometimes milk or orange juice (which I always log). I allow myself one coffee per week (medium latte).
    There is no change in inches or body shape. Still waiting for that bloody six pack to start appearing!

Details that I failed to provide earlier:
    Female
    24yrs old
    172cm/5ft 7in
    67kg/ 10st 7lbs

Ill make my diary public, see if you guys think I should change something.
  • blessybuva
    blessybuva Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Also, my calorie counting is correct, unless MFP is wrong which I doubt.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Misread...
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You suffer from arthritis and you're eating at an extreme deficit and putting your body through a ton of exercise that you yourself say is not good for it. I know you said you don't want to hear it but you do need to be patient. And possibly find a way to diet that's less likely to tear up your joints.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty simple to me. You are eating as many calories as you burn.

Eat fewer calories