Recommendations for Heart Rate Monitor

emadigan
emadigan Posts: 89 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm looking into purchasing a heart rate monitor. I don't have a huge budget (college student budget), but I want one that is accurate. Any recommendations?

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    watch out for the sea of answers. Look for one with a chest strap. That said I have a polar. :) F6 to be exact. :) hope I'm number one :)
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    I am actually curious too because I want one too and I don't know where to start and I don't want to waist my money on something that won't be very accurate.
  • Fesse
    Fesse Posts: 611
    I agree, make sure it comes with a chest strap for the best accuracy! That being said I have a Polar FT40 and I love it.
    Remember it's an investment and you'll use it often.
  • also have the polar f6, although sometimes it double counts my heart rate, it normally resolves in a few minutes. love it otherwise.
  • I have the polar F6 and I love it. The chest strap is the best.
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    watch out for the sea of answers. Look for one with a chest strap. That said I have a polar. :) F6 to be exact. :) hope I'm number one :)

I agree with this. The ones with the chest strap constantly check your heart rate so you don't have to stop and check it yourself and it also gives you the calorie burn. I also have the Polar F6 and I love it. It's a more basic one, but I didn't need a fancy one. You can go to the Polar website and compare the models to see which one has what you want on it. I just bough a smaller chest band (after losing weight) from a different website heartratemonitorsusa.com (I think that's the correct spelling) and it has free shipping. Now I'm looking into getting a Garmin for logging my running miles/times, but that will be later as they are more expensive than what I'm able to spend right now. Hope that helped :smile:
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    I couldn't agree more. I love my heart rate monitor and the chest strap is a MUST. I took a class with a personal trainer and they measured my HR over hours while doing a whole slew of activities, some cardio, some weights. She broke my HR's up in to 5 zones and now I know where to target each day, it has been so helpful! I also have a Polar one, don't know exactly what model but the thing about Polar is most gym equipment will pick it up. It's wonderful. My goal every day is to burn 500 calories, whether it takes me 20 minutes or 2 hours, I get it done. Good luck :) Try amazon or ebay, maybe you can find a cheaper one!
  • emadigan
    emadigan Posts: 89 Member
    Thanks for the answers.
  • Candice73
    Candice73 Posts: 19 Member
    I just bought the polarF11 as it was in sale althoughits an older model it does everything i need and just uploaded my exercises to the polar website. It was really easy to set up and follow... I love it..i have had other 'cheap; ones in the past and have learnt not to spend cheaply on hrms. Good Luck !!
This discussion has been closed.