need help

Options
Hi. I am 41 yrs old, 5'5 and weigh 174 pounds. I was talking high blood pressure meds. I suffer from a panic disorder and I want everything better. I learned a healthy active lifestyle should aliviate or help most my issues. I started with cardio. I lead a sedentary life and the cardio was hard so 10-15 minutes was all I could do so I tried it at least 2-3 times a day. Now 3 weeks later I am doing 80 minutes of moderate-intensity cardio at a time. I have a workout heart rate of 125-130. I have skipped a few days but only about 5 in the last three weeks. My blood pressure has come down and I am not taking the blood pressure meds anymore. It is still 130/80 but I want it down naturally. OK so problem is I am eating about 1000-1300 calories a day and burning 300-700. All of my weight is in my mid section and upper body. I am large breasted and have 2 buldged discs. So high impact aerobics is out of the question. I try and net 900 calories a day. I want to start weight training but have little muscle mass. What is the best exercises for me to burn the most calories and not have to jump around like jumping jack style. What should I add. What should I change. I need results. I know most say 1200 net carbs and slow and steady. But that's not me. I'm desperate and little results will cause me to give up. I need advice that will show results

Replies

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Weight training would be awesome for you, but only if your back doctor agrees. Make sure you are not compounding any problems you already have.

If you don't have access to free weights - start with a body weight strength program. They are awesome. One of my favorites is NerdFitness.com. Here is the link to the Beginner's Body Weight work out:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

You will probably find that you are not eating enough. With only 40 pounds to lose, you are really restricting your diet unnecessarily. Read this link and it might help you develop a better plan for losing.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

One more thought - rushing to lose the weight is just not a healthy path. Slow and steady is for the best. I hope you realize that soon. Good luck.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Anyone with a medical condition should discuss exercise options with their doctor. I would also discuss your diet with your doctor. Bodies use calories to keep us healthy. Losing weight may soon cease to help with your medical problems if you are stressing your body by undereating.