What should i eat...

Hello all,

Just wanting a bit of advice, recently started going to the gym again, i tend to go at lunch time for about an hour and generally do weight training with a bit of cardio on the odd day or two. Never really that hungry when i come out from the gym but figure that i should probably eat something, can anybody recommend something relatively easy to make (the night before) or just buy that is good for me after my workout?

Replies

• skaboom163
    skaboom163 Posts: 93 Member
    Whey protein shake. It will help repair muscles from the weight training. Its convenient to take and make (one scoop in a shaker bottle with water). I'd try a banana or a few fig newtons before your cardio just to give you some carbs to make it through the workout.
  • Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    I would suggest either milk, or whey protein and juice, you really want a 4-1 carb-protein ratio after a workout, it helps fight off soreness and stimulates the most muscle growth.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    If you aren't hungry right after, then don't eat. Lots of people find that they feel nauseous for ~hour after working out if they eat something, so just listen to your body. You won't kill yourself by skipping food for an hour until you are actually hungry. Just pack your normal lunch and eat it when you feel hunger.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Can you brown bag a lunch? Sandwich, a pice of fruit, some veggie sticks, and a handful of nuts? You can easily prep a weeks worth of lunches in 10min.

There's no need to eat directly before/during/as soon as you finish your workout. Eat when you're hungry, your muscles aren't going to wither away :)
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    I would suggest either milk, or whey protein and juice, you really want a 4-1 carb-protein ratio after a workout, it helps fight off soreness and stimulates the most muscle growth.
    There isn't any research to support this. The post workout anabolic window has been thoroughly debunked by science. All you really need to do is have some kind of a mixed meal at some point after your workout and you're fine. There is actually some emerging research showing that remaining fasted post workout for a few hours can actually boost human growth hormone production. So basically OP, eat whatever you feel like eating. If you don't feel like eating right away, then you don't have to. Total intake for the day is going to be FAR more important then nutrient timing...
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    There isn't any research to support this. The post workout anabolic window has been thoroughly debunked by science. All you really need to do is have some kind of a mixed meal at some point after your workout and you're fine. There is actually some emerging research showing that remaining fasted post workout for a few hours can actually boost human growth hormone production. So basically OP, eat whatever you feel like eating. If you don't feel like eating right away, then you don't have to. Total intake for the day is going to be FAR more important then nutrient timing...

^This.