Just hit DAY 23 (p90x): Core Synergistics

Options
Hello! Happy to meet folks here.

A bit of background. I'm a traveler -- I move around quite a bit (been to 50 states, lived throughout Asia) but over the course of my late 20s found myself working a desk job and hitting the bars way too much (liquor became another food group). Last year, I decided it was time for a change -- dramatically cut down my drinking and switched to healthy foods. I went from 230 to 200 (I am 6'1) and found that new relationship with food and drink made me feel a lot better. Before that, over-eating on pizza/bad foods/snacks was a regular thing several times a week, I was still drinking sugar pop, and I loved Five Guys burgers (at least twice a week with all the toppings + bacon).

Now I'm 23 days in P90X. Though I continue to work 12 hours a day at a desk, I've been getting up at 5:30am to kick out the workout with my best friend every morning rain or shine the backyard. I'm very surprised that rolling out of bed and doing the workout is practically second nature now -- and I feel energized when I start stretching first thing (not exhausted like I thought I would be!). I FEEL GOOD.

I've been following the diet -- not exactly, but generally. Eating lots of whole foods, lean proteins. My favorite 7am breakfast these days is a pork job with fried eggs. For lunch, usually some kind of fish, mixed veggies, fruit -- and dinner quinoa and another lean protein. I actually love the diet (eating like a king on lean, healthy foods) though it's expensive. I've found I'm actually pretty damn good at cooking (my brother is better) and that methodically preparing dinner from nothing but whole foods is one of my favorite parts of the day.

I'm currently weighing in at 179lbs (again 6'1). I've had to tell my colleagues that I'm doing P90x as to not scare them with the weight loss (who loses 50 pounds in a year?). Of course, it's alienated a few of my ol' after-work drinking buddies -- and I find I want to kayak, run, hike, and do more active things than I used to more regularly (and especially on weekends).

Look forward to hearing your stories and finishing this program. Afterwards, I'm planning on going skiing, ice skating, cross-country skiing, and thinking of trying p90x3 for shorter morning workouts early next year. Can't wait to see how the next 70 days go...

Wish me luck!!

Replies