Other types of "AHA" moments?

Options
Most of us have had THAT moment when we decide to change our lifestyles ... for GOOD. I find it very interesting that the "AHA" moments haven't stopped through this process (going on 8 years now). Some other ones (for me) have been things like finding out the importance of strength training, finding out that I CAN do so many things that I couldn't do before and that the scale is not necessarily my friend.

Today's moment was driving to work this morning. I saw a very fit runner flying up the sidewalk. I previously found this annoying - because the person was obviously much better at running than me! Today? Seeing "that guy" made me want to run. The annoying part was that I had to go work, and couldn't. I like that kind of progress. :smile:

Any of those moments for you?

Replies

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Every day! But my latest was the moment I realized that I don't have force myself to go in the gym anymore. I just do it now.

So.....

96247-Eddie-Murphy-AHA-gif-Coming-to-bJWx.gif
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    ^^You are awesome!
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    When I see old photographs of my "fat self" I go "AHA it's been totally worth it".
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    Dorothy knows this story anyhow but.... My son is having a hard time in gym class. They are encouraged to run/jog each class starting at 3min and increasing by 3 min each time until 20min. He was pretty far behind the majority of the class. Last night he and I drove to a flat area, timer in hand, and off we went! With some pacing and breathing coaching HE DID IT, he jogged for 12min without stopping!!! He is eleven years old and a bit overweight, the PRIDE was radiating from him, and I'm pretty sure that this momma glowed as well. Wednesday night we will go for 15 :heart:

Why is this an AHA? Because it was NEVER a question to get out there with him and just DO IT. 3 years ago my response to his situation would have been "Sorry bud. Not everyone is a runner." and probably would have taken him to McD's for a burger and a sundae to make us both feel better.
    Instead, it was "Grab your shoes and let's GO!".... Ah-Freakin'-HA!
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Dorothy knows this story anyhow but.... My son is having a hard time in gym class. They are encouraged to run/jog each class starting at 3min and increasing by 3 min each time until 20min. He was pretty far behind the majority of the class. Last night he and I drove to a flat area, timer in hand, and off we went! With some pacing and breathing coaching HE DID IT, he jogged for 12min without stopping!!! He is eleven years old and a bit overweight, the PRIDE was radiating from him, and I'm pretty sure that this momma glowed as well. Wednesday night we will go for 15 :heart:

Why is this an AHA? Because it was NEVER a question to get out there with him and just DO IT. 3 years ago my response to his situation would have been "Sorry bud. Not everyone is a runner." and probably would have taken him to McD's for a burger and a sundae to make us both feel better.
    Instead, it was "Grab your shoes and let's GO!".... Ah-Freakin'-HA!

That is so inspiring! For us as adults AND as parents! GO GO GO!!! :heart:
  • ftballmom9296
    ftballmom9296 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Cam is one lucky young man and you are an Awesome MOM.... Pat yourself on the back and take a moment to accept the Job Well Done. Congratulations Cam you have a really special Mommy and she loves you very much. He will look back on that moment one day and really appreciate what you helped him achieve.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Lol these are great!

And it's weird, because I've just had one this morning....it's not big, but for a girl who has been a big girl since she was a kid..... I got dressed this morning, and - omg - I tucked my shirt into my shorts! It's my race shirt from the Duathlon I just did on Saturday, and my shorts are actually a bit big on me now, but I would usually just pull the shorts on, throw a shirt on & go. Tucking a shirt in (other than my uniform) would NEVER usually happen!

But another big moment was when I was driving & went over a bumpy section, I looked down, and the seatbelt was a little farther from the steering wheel & there was a lot less "jiggle" going on.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I get it every time I finish exercising. I cycle to and from work and it's 9 miles each way. I *still* get that feeling when I arrive 'I can't believe I just did that'.

The other day I went running outside. With every step that isn't killing me, I'm thinking 'Wow, I can run. I actually can run, wow!'

Totally not over it yet, lol.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    Cam is one lucky young man and you are an Awesome MOM.... Pat yourself on the back and take a moment to accept the Job Well Done. Congratulations Cam you have a really special Mommy and she loves you very much. He will look back on that moment one day and really appreciate what you helped him achieve.

:heart: :heart: :heart: