Yoga Pants! (nuff said)

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    If they weren't called yoga pants would anyone get all up in arms about the fact that women were wearing them 'out in public' who weren't doing it to work out? I wear them because I like them and the way they look, and mine were expensive and you'd never catch me working out in them. They sure look a lot better to wear out and about than sweatpants or those darned old pajama pants people think are okay to wear. Get over it. They look good, feel good so why can't we wear them whenever we want?

And stop showing pictures of overweight women wearing them to laugh at. That's body shaming. They have just as much right to wear them as any other woman does. If they are comfortable enough to be seen in them, more power to them. Knock it off.
    You should never go to this website. http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

that is not MFP. I'm talking about this website, in particular.
    My point: that's where half of the images you object to come from.

I don't care where they come from. I've seen People of Wal-mart. I object to body shaming on MFP on particular. That's not what we are about, here.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    WdSKQ5Y5Gvi.jpg

did you miss the point about bodyshaming? I find it said that your avatar makes a point about confidence being sexy and yet you are posting pictures like this.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    First time wearing them this season. Big butt ....

eRbW4rj.jpg

Gorgeous!

Oh thank you! You have a great body, so that was a really nice thing to say. Thanks! =)

Oh, thank YOU! And I meant it - you look great! :flowerforyou:
    Yah both are hawt!!!

IMG_20131202_130645-1_zps2f4a23c1.jpg
    Now do these meggings make my butt look big?

could you face the camera please? :bigsmile:

Or face away and bend over? I dropped something and my back hurts....
    You two gotta make up your minds...
    Are we gonna do this or whah?
  • Redheadllena
    Redheadllena Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    If they weren't called yoga pants would anyone get all up in arms about the fact that women were wearing them 'out in public' who weren't doing it to work out? I wear them because I like them and the way they look, and mine were expensive and you'd never catch me working out in them. They sure look a lot better to wear out and about than sweatpants or those darned old pajama pants people think are okay to wear. Get over it. They look good, feel good so why can't we wear them whenever we want?

And stop showing pictures of overweight women wearing them to laugh at. That's body shaming. They have just as much right to wear them as any other woman does. If they are comfortable enough to be seen in them, more power to them. Knock it off.

You do make some great points - everyone is entitled to wear what they want. I'm not down with body shaming either.

My complaint is that it's "trendy" to wear workout clothes because being fit/working out itself is trendy. It does bother me when I see people at the mall decked out in head to toe Lululemon when clearly they aren't coming to or from a work out, and don't appear to be taking care of their health judging by the fact that they're very overweight. Wearing them out on a quick errand is one thing, but I'm talking about people who have swapped them out for jeans or their regular, everyday clothes. It just looks disingenuous and like they're trying to "look hot" without putting in the hard work. They could spend money on expensive workout clothes, but not a gym membership?

Now, do I say anything to these people, or shame them? No, never, like you said, it's their right to wear what they want. I'm just saying to me they look phony. No one has to care about how they look or actually be fit, that's a personal choice. I realize I know nothing about them, and am completely judging them...but it's in my head, which I am also allowed to do (although maybe I'm an *kitten* for sharing). Dressing like fitness is your lifestyle 24/7 when there's a 99% chance it's not is just annoying...IMHO. It's not fooling anyone is my point.
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    In for the "what a creep" posts. No offense but from a totally hetero perspective you aren't attractive enough to make posts like this. There is an inverse relationship between the creepiness of ones posts and the attractiveness of said poster.

The funny thing is, literally no one said that.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options

You do make some great points - everyone is entitled to wear what they want. I'm not down with body shaming either.

My complaint is that it's "trendy" to wear workout clothes because being fit/working out itself is trendy. It does bother me when I see people at the mall decked out in head to toe Lululemon when clearly they aren't coming to or from a work out, and don't appear to be taking care of their health judging by the fact that they're very overweight. Wearing them out on a quick errand is one thing, but I'm talking about people who have swapped them out for jeans or their regular, everyday clothes. It just looks disingenuous and like they're trying to "look hot" without putting in the hard work. They could spend money on expensive workout clothes, but not a gym membership?

Now, do I say anything to these people, or shame them? No, never, like you said, it's their right to wear what they want. I'm just saying to me they look phony. No one has to care about how they look or actually be fit, that's a personal choice. I realize I know nothing about them, and am completely judging them...but it's in my head, which I am also allowed to do (although maybe I'm an *kitten* for sharing). Dressing like fitness is your lifestyle 24/7 when there's a 99% chance it's not is just annoying...IMHO. It's not fooling anyone is my point.

You lost credibility with me when you said what's bolded.

Lululemon doesn't make gear for the overweight.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options

You lost credibility with me when you said what's bolded.

Overweight or over size 12
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Stolen from another MFP thread and re-posting for relevance and truth ;)

w9gznd.jpg

That;'s a great freaking *kitten*
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options

Overweight or over size 12

Exactly.
  • Aero1dynamic
    Aero1dynamic Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    *Witnessing what started as a fun thread becoming ....not fun*

f6due.gif
  • mccindy72
    Options

again, why do they have to be 'workout clothes'? Because you view them as such? I have them and don't wear them to work out in, although I do work out regularly. When I do wear them I'm not going to or coming from a work out, I just like the way they look and they're comfy. Is it okay to wear them for that reason? That's not phony, you are making assumptions based on why they are wearing them.
  • mccindy72
    Options

w9gznd.jpg

That;'s a great freaking *kitten*

*nods*

not to mention squats and lunges!
  • luvmydawgs
    luvmydawgs Posts: 182 Member
    Options

w9gznd.jpg

A squat *kitten* is always the best *kitten*!
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is how we all end up dressed like this:

112681-aeon-flux-by-aeon-flux-club.jpg
  • Redheadllena
    Options

again, why do they have to be 'workout clothes'? Because you view them as such? I have them and don't wear them to work out in, although I do work out regularly. When I do wear them I'm not going to or coming from a work out, I just like the way they look and they're comfy. Is it okay to wear them for that reason? That's not phony, you are making assumptions based on why they are wearing them.

Not what I was trying to say...I'll try to clarify once more. Everyone can wear workout clothes, it's a free country. I am saying that I assume (my opinion, not a fact) the people I'm referring to think they look like they work out by wearing workout clothes. As you just stated, you yourself don't wear them to appear like you work out and just like to wear them because you like how they look/they are comfy. That's fine.

I am saying it bothers me when people wearing clothes that *based on what they were designed for* reflect that they care about fitness and that it is a part of their lifestyle, when it apparently is not. To me, when someone is at a public event, or casually strolling the mall in workout clothes, it says "I'm trying very hard to look a certain way" when clearly you don't work hard to actually look the way you are trying to appear. Same goes for fake designer bags or clothes to appear wealthier than you are...does that make sense? It just looks phony...I'm not trying to put one on a pedestal above the other, I'm just saying, you're not fooling anyone. (Designer clothes was the best comparison I could think of, I really could care less about them personally).

Final point: I like yoga pants for lounging around the house or for working out. But wouldn't wear them as every day clothes in public when I'm not doing something active. Obviously other people DO wear workout clothes outside of working out, as echoed by everyone on this thread...just sharing what goes through my head. Like it or not, people will assume things about you based on what you wear, whether or not those assumptions are true.

Also, Lululemon was just an example - I don't shop there so I don't know which sizes they make.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Yoga's that stuff I do to stretch out after particularly heavy squats and deads. These are my squats and deads pants.

a851ef6d-6ffd-4f1c-9af4-8aeeadd2e14a_zps9a2f3236.jpg

*this image is presented solely as a testament of fitness, to show the results from the hard work associated with lifting heavy objects. It is not distributed for any other purpose.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    i wear em cause panty lines are sexy?
  • Redheadllena
    Options
    Yoga's that stuff I do to stretch out after particularly heavy squats and deads. These are my squats and deads pants.

a851ef6d-6ffd-4f1c-9af4-8aeeadd2e14a_zps9a2f3236.jpg

*this image is presented solely as a testament of fitness, to show the results from the hard work associated with lifting heavy objects. It is not distributed for any other purpose.

Likewise! :drinker: