increasing endurance - running

Options
I do a bootcamp workout 4-5 days a week that I love. It's always a mix of cardio type workouts with strength. Sometimes it's all strength and then a 1 mile run at the end of the class, sometimes it's throwing medicine balls, tires etc - the workouts are never the same.

I've never been a strong runner - I'm more of a slow jog. I know part of the problem is my breathing (I do have asthma but I don't let that stop me). If we're doing sprints I'm usually in the ok because they're short but the minute it's a lap around the building (usually it's 5 laps around the building) I'm always ALWAYS at the back. I can start out ok but quickly get passed because I end up slowing down and at the end of the run I'm always the last one back. I've tried running/jogging on my own at home and it's always the same thing, I'm quickly slowing down.

Any suggestions on how to increase my endurance?

Replies

• hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    In order to run more miles, you need to run more miles. Since you're usually doing a 1 mile run during your class, you'll want to pick an non-class day to do a longer than 1 mile run. The usual recommendation is to only increase your weekly running miles by 5% to 10% a week. So if you do 5 miles total for the week from your class, you'll want to do a 1.5 mile run. The next week it will be a 2 mile run, and so on. Simply running more will increase your endurance over time. The sprints you do will increase your speed. As for slowing down during your runs, I suggest you start a little slower, so that you can keep a more even pace throughout your run.