To the "Bike-y" people here...

Options
So I've done 2 duathlons using my trusty Schwinn mountain bike. I like her a lot & have no plans to get rid of her, but I do need a road bike to be a little more, well, competitive. So I started looking on famous - or infamous? - ole Craigslist, and saw this one:

http://sarasota.craigslist.org/bik/4666271754.html

I'm planning on going to take a look @ it tonight, if the weather holds (been having a ton of rain here lately, with more forecast tonight!), so what does everyone think? I know it' not a Cannondale, or a spiffy tri-bike, but as an entry-level, 1st road bike...?

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I'd not waste my time. No info on size, etc. Sizing is important on a road bike. In fact, I'd strongly suggest buying a bike from a bike shop, sized to you, or take a bike sizer with you who would know what could be done with that particular frame to make it fit right.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    That looks to be a 2005 bike. It had an MSRP of 900 when it first came out.

Here is more information.
    http://www.bicyclebluebook.com/SearchListingDetail.aspx?id=10635&make=741&model=65391&year=2005

BicycleBlueBook.com Value
    $291 (Like-New)
    $277 (Excellent)
    $250 (Good)
    $186 (Fair)

And Specialized is better than Cannondale :) IMO (they are both equally good brands in reality)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'd not waste my time. No info on size, etc. Sizing is important on a road bike. In fact, I'd strongly suggest buying a bike from a bike shop, sized to you, or take a bike sizer with you who would know what could be done with that particular frame to make it fit right.

Yes. Bike size is VERY important. A 6'3" guy will obviously ride a different size bike than a 5'3" woman (or guy).

Do you know what size your mountain bike is?
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have spoken briefly to the lady who is selling it, and we are the same height, so I don't think the size is too much of an issue.

My present bike is a 26 Schwinn Sidewinder. And when I looked on that Bicycle Blue Book site, it shows that my bike is only a 90's model, yet I bought it brand new earlier this year?
  • dbmata
    Options
    Thanks! I have spoken briefly to the lady who is selling it, and we are the same height, so I don't think the size is too much of an issue.

You would be surprised. It's far more than just the distance from the floor to the top of your head.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call myself "bike-y" but I think it's worth a look. I signed up for a duathlon and I have a Giant hybrid bike that I love but was kind of peeking around at entry-level/used road bikes. I decided they are way out of my price range especially for my first duathlon and not knowing if I will want to continue. I did look at Craigslist and if I saw that listing, I definitely would've checked it out! No, it probalby won't be perfectly fitted to you but it's a great brand and if it's in decent shape and feels good to ride around, I'd say it's $200 (or less if you can talk her down) well spent. If not, maybe just bank it and put it towards a bike that you can get at a shop.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Here's the update: I went out & looked @ the bike. Rode it & did a few other tests...and I like it., Really like it Bought it for less than the asking price. Brought it home, and woke up this morning before the alarm clock thinking "I get to play with my new bike!" Gave it - actually, both of them - a bath, lubed it up & finally got to ride it.

I love it! Moves quick, and a smooth ride. Just has regular pedals on it, although it did come with clip less ones. (I've got time yet before I work up to those. I ordered toe clips like I have on my mountain bike today, hopefully they'll be in soon!) My son rode with me today (He on my mntn bike & me on my new bike, although I'm sure he would have preferred it the other way around!) so I had to slow down a bit for a good portion of the ride so he could keep up, & when we got home & I told him that, he said, and I quote: "That was you riding SLOW?" - Yes! I'll take that as a NSV! - I'll still take it to a bike shop in the not too distant future to have an expert have a look at it, just to be safe.

Even the seat seems to be at a good level, the only thing I see I'd like to change is the "slope", it is kind of even, and I kind of like it tilted back a little. But other than that, I'm a happy biker - no more "fat tire" ...on to the age groupers for me!
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Costco Membership? Check with them, they sell this brand Northrock. They don't always have them in stock. I don't know much about the frame, but the components are all pretty good. Plus, it's Costco so you can easily return it if it's no good. They will have all the exercise/health equipment right after Xmas for the NEW YEARS GET HEALTHY RUSH.

But this is the bike they sell. Not sure on the price, but it's in the $400-500 range.

http://www.northrockbikes.com/road-scr1.php

Also, check www.bikesdirect.com They have some lower end but nice bikes.
  • dbmata
    Options
    congrats on it working out!

mike - she already bought something.