Pepsi Substitute?

Options

Replies

• impromark
    impromark Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I went from a 12-pack of regular coke a week to a diet can a day, sometimes two. More's the point, I drink lots of OTHER stuff along with it, including juices, milk, and a whole lot of water.

I'm actually mixing a lot of "clear" diet colas in as well. In Canada, for some reason the clear stuff like 7-up, etc. are not permitted to have caffeine in them, so it makes a sort of break.

Toxic or not, it's better than the full-on cola. Everything in moderation and logged, and you'll be fine with whatever you want to drink. I think what happened was at a job a decade ago the VP often liked to share a bottle of rum on Fridays with us, cut with diet coke... Ever since then I started to go with diet stuff as PART of my fluid intake. Along with the exercise and PROPER food portions and control, the weight came off just fine.

Mark
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Wow, I was not expecting ANYONE to tell me just drink the dang thing! And nearly everyone has. I truly appreciate the insight. It had never occurred to me that I shouldn't worry about switching to something "healthier". I really like the suggestion of the mini-cans. That way I can still have my "fix" and not blow through too many calories. I'm just not much of a fan of the taste of diet drinks. I might try that out too, however. Thanks for the spanking! Honestly, it never crossed my mind that I wouldn't have to give up this "bad" thing eventually.

Once you start labeling food good or bad, you make things harder on yourself than it should ever be.

You will find several...and I mean several...successful people on MFP who didn't give up anything. Just tracked calories, exercised, and stay within their goals most of the time. Some losing 300 lbs+ all the while eating ice cream, drinking cokes, eating cakes, pies, etc.

There are many, many different paths you can take, but if you can't stay on one that works for you, keeps (gets) you healthy both physically AND mentally, then you won't reach your goal and be able to maintain it. It's much harder to keep doing something you hate.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Wow, I was not expecting ANYONE to tell me just drink the dang thing! And nearly everyone has. I truly appreciate the insight. It had never occurred to me that I shouldn't worry about switching to something "healthier". I really like the suggestion of the mini-cans. That way I can still have my "fix" and not blow through too many calories. I'm just not much of a fan of the taste of diet drinks. I might try that out too, however. Thanks for the spanking! Honestly, it never crossed my mind that I wouldn't have to give up this "bad" thing eventually.

you might end up quitting eventually, but in the mean time, no need to really stress about it. I drink a lot of coffee and I used to take milk and two teaspoons of sugar in each cup. Well, it wasn't fitting into my "macro" because I was always going over on sugar and carbs. Little by little, I got down to one teaspoon per cup. It took a long time because I hate doing things cold turkey lol. But now my numbers are way better. I'm still working on my goal of no sugar in the coffee because I'd rather have a cookie or piece of cake than drink the sugar in the coffee lol.
  • rykacalla
    Options
    I say drink the dang thing too! But I have also found a really good "diet" substitute that I didn't know I would love - Diet Orange Crush. I still keep everything in moderation, but sometimes a diet crush can really turn my day around.

Cheers!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

They not only make it in smaller cans, they even make it with real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup, if you wanna go healthier, try the real sugar version, it is way healthier than so called "diet" crap.

Enjoy, then spend the rest of the day chugging down water. :flowerforyou:
  • onelovejenn
    Options
    Way back when I was addicted to Mountain Dew and Coke, then about 10 years ago I switched to Diet Mountain Dew and WOW, was more addicted to that than I ever was to regular soda. I did find that I was drinking way too much of it, sometimes a two litter a day and it was hindering me from drinking the water I HAVE to drink. Now, I limit myself to 1 glass of Diet Dew at dinner, I have found that I enjoy it so much more!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    So...anyone know of any high nutrient, low cal (if possible) drink that I can substitute for my morning Pepsi?

I replaced my morning coke with bourbon.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I was a huge soda drinker loved the stuff when I wanted to start losing weight I went to diet and coke zero to save my calories. Unfortunately it still has quite a bit of sodium in it which I want to lower. I only have one kidney so I need to keep my sodium under 2500mg/day. I love the carbonation so I switched to seltzer water. Most seltzer on the market is 0 across the board. Others you have to watch out for they have either added sodium or sugar substitiute. It gives me the craving fix for carbonation. I still drink flat water but sometimes at night or with a meal I crave the fizz and I have a selter. Its not for everyone and they do come in flavors my fav is lemon lime. The brands I have found that are 0 are Canada dry (only certain flavors and plain), Adirondack ( I have only had 4 flavors) and Aldis brand.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I had a 2 per day minimum Diet Dr Pepper habit for years. When my doc wanted me to come off them, I began substituting peach tea added to my water. I eventually kicked those too and drink nothing but my coffee in the morning then water the rest of the day. When I'm out at restaurants, I will enjoy a sweet tea, but I don't get out much.

When I go to drink anything carbonated now...bleh. I can feel it in the cells of my body immediately.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Sparkling water. They have flavored varieties as well.

I think the previous suggestion of the mini cans is good. That way you don't have to deprive yourself, but still can control the portion.

^^ My thoughts exactly.
  • Organicgasm
    Organicgasm Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    LIVE soda kombucha. They have a cola flavor. Better than Pepsi IMO
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Coke

^^This
  • mysweetjenna
    mysweetjenna Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am in love with my Sodastream. It is now my favorite kitchen accessory, and I use it ALL THE TIME. You can make a healthy fizzy water with fresh fruit floating around, you can have the soda for your scotch and soda, or you can make any cola you dream of (and have more control of how much sugary syrup goes into the drink). I would suggest this machine to anyone.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    IIFYM :heart:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Way back when I was addicted to Mountain Dew and Coke, then about 10 years ago I switched to Diet Mountain Dew and WOW, was more addicted to that than I ever was to regular soda. I did find that I was drinking way too much of it, sometimes a two litter a day and it was hindering me from drinking the water I HAVE to drink. Now, I limit myself to 1 glass of Diet Dew at dinner, I have found that I enjoy it so much more!
    Uhh, heh? Explain how 2 liters of water (in the diet soda you were drinking) were hindering you from consuming water...
  • pethelpersfindahome
    Options
    I am a little shocked myself that everyone is drinking a diet soda and thinks that is an exceptable alternative :( I personally have had that monkey on my back my whole life!! up to a 2 liter a day :( and when I decided to go cold turkey I found other drinks to fulfill that sweet need. coconut water works great
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    It's obvious...

COKE!! :drinker:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Diet Pepsi?
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Before encouraging the OP to drink Pepsi, it might be good for him to have his fasting blood glucose and a1c checked. If he has been eating and drinking so poorly for so long and there is a possible chance of diabetes in his generational bloodline, telling him to chug that Pepsi isn't sound advice.

If you're looking for an alternative to sugary sodas, I really enjoy the LaCroix sparkling spring waters.